INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installation  (Read 1000 times)

pajp

Installation
« on: October 16, 2005, 06:42:40 pm »

Had MJ 8.0.400 installed and running fine. Ran all day yesterday extremely well. Today, one of my kids managed to get a trojan on the machine (even though got anti virus and spywareguard). Cleaned machine then when I ran MJ it would come up and play for about 15 to 20 seconds then vanish from memory.

After trying a few things I uninstalled and tried to reinstall. It now runs through the first part of the install where it says preparing installshield, the progress bar reaches the end and it drops out of memory.

So far, after reading some related threads I have done the following all with Anti Virus and stoppers turned off.

Attempted re-install.

Cleaned registry and attempted re-install.

Redownloaded (no real reason to do that but clutching at straws) and attempted re-install.

Cleared all temp files from Windows daft hiding places and attempted re-install.

Wrote this message.

Other than this niggle, so far seems to be an awesome application.

Further to this, out of curiosity I downloaded Media Center 11 to have a llok and it does exactly the same, reaches the end of the installshield progress bar and just stops.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Installation
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 07:09:42 pm »

Some anti spam and pop-up blocker programs can cause problems.

Take a look at this thread for ideas:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24031;start=0

We have seen situations in the past where turning off a program like a virus checker wasn't enough; it needed to be uninstalled and the PC rebooted.

pajp

Re: Installation
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 01:01:28 pm »

All the stoppers were installed before I first installed and that ran okay. Its only the re-install thats an issue.

Anyway, resolved but not solved.

I tried to track what was happening and found that the Wizard was being extracted to my local system temp file under \documents and settings\username\local settings\temp\ but it never called the wizard afterwards. It appeared from mdm to be calling it in the \windows\temp\ subdir and not finding it.

Thats as far as I got but couldnt track it properly and I dont know enough about the subject to trace it further..
Pages: [1]   Go Up