INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: uPnP Server, fixed port.  (Read 1350 times)

paragmehta

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
uPnP Server, fixed port.
« on: May 31, 2005, 09:19:24 pm »

Had a question about the upnp server.  Attempting to use it with Roku, the problem seems to be that the port keeps changing everytime the server is started.  This needs powercycling the Roku before it can detect the server again. 

Is there a way to fix the port number.  A changing port also doesn't work well when you want to firewall your machine.

Thanks a lot for your help.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: uPnP Server, fixed port.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 06:41:27 am »

I am interested in this too.  It is a real pain having to manually reboot the Roku each time I restart MC.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 10:52:55 am »

I'm looking into this. However, there is a bug - either with Roku or with our stuff, I'm not sure - that is causing the Roku not to recognize the server after a restart. It SHOULD work, it just DOESN'T work. I've spent a lot of time trying to track it down with no success.

The firewall issue is a good point, so I'll try to get an option in for this.

j

paragmehta

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 08:11:00 am »

The firewall issue is a good point, so I'll try to get an option in for this.

Cool!  Thanks a lot.

PFRfan

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 06:17:31 pm »

Any word on locking down the UPnP server port?  My SoundBridge has the same issue - I have to reboot it every time I restart the UPnP server because the port changes.  It works GREAT otherwise.

Also, I'm able to transcode from FLAC to MP3 on the fly so I can leave my lossless library alone, and feed it straight out to the Roku - SWEET!  I just wish I didn't have to keep unplugging it everytime I make a change - my wife will NOT be down with that (it's in the kitchen for her).

Thanks again - lock down that port and you will make me VERY happy!

paragmehta

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 10:15:11 am »

John, fixed server port would be so cool, please... do you anticipate it any time soon?  Thanks.

Using Roku with MC over upnp has gotten slightly better, with the beta firmware for Roku, you now do have an option to reboot the Roku without having to unplug it to pick up the new port on MC.  The original problem of Roku not being able to pick up the port change from MC over upnp message is still not fixed though.  :(

olonzoc

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 08:31:55 pm »

I too vote for either a fixed port, or a way to limit the ports.  As it stands, MSServer 2003 specifies that UPnP freamework should be using UDP ports beginning with 1900 and TCP Port 2869 by default.   MC11 wants to use any port #, therefore unless you specify Media center specifically in Windows Firewall, you'll be greeted with random disconnects from your UPnP devices.   At least this is what I observed.

Oh, and UPnP and Tivo servers should run as services too  :-)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 09:30:36 pm »

Fixed port is there, as of a couple of days ago, in MC 11.1 (but I've still got some bugs to work out in the rest of it, you have been warned).

I'd be interested in the references to the docs specifying port numbers. If they are UPnP docs, I'll certainly honor them.

Port selection is a difficult issue. If it's a fixed port, we run into issues with multiple applications using the same port. If it's not a fixed port, firewalls don't like it (and some devices don't like it). At the moment, it's your choice.

j

Pages: [1]   Go Up