INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move COpy Files In MC11  (Read 2079 times)

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Move COpy Files In MC11
« on: October 26, 2005, 02:54:04 pm »

Hello,
   I took a look at this function, and notice that I can only copy files to a specific folder.

Is there anyway that I can specify the files to save in    [artist]/[album]/then the file name

-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Move COpy Files In MC11
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 02:56:04 pm »

Try MC's Tools/Library Tools/Rename Files from Properties.

Try a few before you do very many.

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 03:10:03 pm »

Mods--
Unless I've been doing it all wrong (again/still), "rename" function is a great way to move files but will not copy files.  The "copy" issue that gamer mentions is clearly listed on page 1017 of the MC12 Feature Request thread.  IMO, the lack of this feature is an opportunity missed for MC to catalog backup files for each track(!!!), thereby allowing for live/online restores.

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 03:10:24 pm »

Tools/Library Tools/Rename Files from Properties works very well to move files around.

But I think that imjustagamer is trying to copy files while the originals stay where they are (and still be in MC's database at the old location).

It would be useful if the Copy Files command could be configured to inherit (sp?) the folder information like it can be done in Rename. I.E.: Being able to Copy files to "base folder"\[artist]\[album]\[track #] - [Name] (as an example).

One thing I would do with this would be to create a view in MC of all my files sorted by the modified date, select all the ones that are newer than my last backup and then just copy all these files to another disk using the same folder structure.  Kaboom! Instant incremental backup!

Michel.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 03:11:42 pm »

Sorry.  I didn't see that you wanted to copy not move.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 03:28:20 pm »

In other words:

The "Rename from properties" tool doesn't have tick boxes for "Make a copy of the original file" and "Update/don't update the database when leaving the original behind".

The Move & Copy tools should have options for directory creation and file naming rules.

Also, an option for adding sequence numbers in front of the filenames would be nice. This is available when burning data CDs, but it would be useful when copying files too.

These options are available in separate tools/functions, but merging them into one tool should be high on the to-do list.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

LonWar

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 07:24:30 pm »

Mods--
Unless I've been doing it all wrong (again/still), "rename" function is a great way to move files but will not copy files.  The "copy" issue that gamer mentions is clearly listed on page 1017 of the MC12 Feature Request thread.  IMO, the lack of this feature is an opportunity missed for MC to catalog backup files for each track(!!!), thereby allowing for live/online restores.

Exactly.... I have some of my files in ape and mp3, and some that are only mp3.
The ones that are just mp3, I want to back up on another drive.

Anyone know of a tool outside of MC that will do this?

Thanks,
-

LonWar

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 12:28:38 pm »

Bumpage.... JRiver guys, I know you have your hands full, but is there anyway that this can be added/changed?

Thanks,
-
Pages: [1]   Go Up