INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Karma for MC 11(.1)  (Read 4307 times)

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
Karma for MC 11(.1)
« on: November 04, 2005, 08:27:06 pm »

I recently bought a Rio Karma, which I love by the way, but I noticed there is no support for it in MC 11.  Is this correct?  I have read all the post relating to the Karma here and the only thing I came up with was enabling WMDM support.  This is not an option in MC 11 and is done automatically so I'm not really sure what to do in order to get my Karma to work.  This is very important to me; I would like to be able to stop using Rios software.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Karma for MC 11(.1)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 05:51:57 pm »

Can you use your Karma with Windows Media Player?

Steve

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 07:42:24 pm »

I have not been able to get WP to recognize it so far.

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 07:56:21 pm »

According to this site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/devices/alldevices.aspx  winsows media player supports this device via WMA.  But I cannot get Karma to work.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 07:59:56 pm »

It's possible you may need to update the firmware for the player.  Did you check their site?

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 08:17:30 pm »

I have the latest firmware that's out; 1.68.

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 01:32:31 pm »

If your Karma is not being recognized by WMP (and therefore via WMDM support) you will have to attempt to solve that via Rio and working on this as a driver/firmware/hardware issue with them.

Using 11.1.50, can you try right clicking on 'Drives & Devices' in the tree and then then select 'Add Device' and then add your Karma (presuming it appears as a drive in Windows Explorer?

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 09:45:40 am »

I have a Karma - great little thing, but you won't get much support from Rio as they are no longer :-(

Have you installed the Rio software and made sure that can see your Karma?

Once that software is working OK, MC should pick it up as a device no problem.

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 09:51:18 am »

Thanks for the suggestions Adam.

Steve

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 11:37:45 am »

Well I'm sure exactly what you mean.  I have the drivers installed as well as the magament software from Rio.  I have used that software to sync my karma but MC doesn't seem to recognize it.  ?

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 12:24:25 am »

I don't really know what to do next.  I've tried everthing I can think of.  The drivers are installed currently and the device is functioning properly according to Windows.  I have tried using different USB ports but that doesn't do anything.  The software that came with the Karma works fine I would just like to be able to use MC.  I have been downloading the latest build thinking that might solve my problem but it has not.  I cannot even get Windows Media Player to recognize the device even though it was on their list (see above post) that it is supported.  Anyone have any ideas?  Could someone write a plugin for this?

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 02:41:07 pm »

Adamsp70,

Does WMP see your Karma and interact with it without problems?

Steve

SwellGuy

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 12:01:10 pm »

We've seen some extremely flakey behavior from the Rio players (in our case the Carbon and Forge), including not being recognized by their own firmware update application on WinXP machines, killing all other USB devices when plugged in, etc, etc.

We have three suggestions for you to try:

1) Use the latest 11.1 beta.
2) Make sure no other running applications establish communication with the device.
3) Update the firmware with a Win2K machine if possible.

Good luck...

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 04:31:15 pm »

I've tried everything that was mentioned and it didn't work.  I'm still having problems geting Karma recognized.  My only question is when Win2k was mentioned did you want me to try and use Win2000 Professional or any nt5(.1) machine?

SwellGuy

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 10:14:30 am »

Preferably Win2K pro.

One last desperate thing you can try is if you have USB connections on the front and back of your machine and/or on an expansion card try connecting to them instead.

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 02:14:52 pm »

I did some playing around with windows services and was able to get the Karma recognized by windows.  I get a message every time I connect it that says:

"Rio Karma   (then) What do you want Windows to do?"

This message is followed by an empty white box.

I still cannot get MC to recognize karma yet but I think this is a step in the right direction.

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 12:52:49 pm »

For MC to stand a chance of working, you will need to get Karma to be recognized by Windows and Windows Media Player. We do not know how to get that to happen. The answer probably lies in some combination of firmware and drivers from Rio.  We are also limited because we do not have a Karma here. Hopefully other users who have one can post suggestions for you.

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2005, 10:59:08 am »

I have opened a thread at the Riovolution forums about this issue and have confirmed that the Kio Karma is detected by WMP 10 by users with similiaor configurations as mine.  I cannot figure out why my Karma is not being detected either by WMP or by MC.  Here is the link to the Riovolution thread if it helps: http://forums-riovolution.com/index.php?showtopic=16292

Maybe there is/are a service(s) that I disabled that are required for device functionality.  Any ideas?

SteveG

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 09:43:49 am »

I do not have further ideas as we do not have a Karma here for me to begin to try to sort it out. Sorry. Hopefully someone else can give you a helpful suggestion.

Steve

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 07:59:38 am »

I was finally able to get my Karma to work within MC.  I had to do a restore installation but it works.  But I seem to be having a problem with transfer speeds.  I only get around 1-2 mb using usb 2.0

Media Center Registered 11.1.71 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1660 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1015 MB, Free - 751 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: LITE-ON  DVDRW SOHW-1693S   Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 09:40:39 am »

Of course the device can connect to either the USB1 or USB2 controllers that are multiplexed on the same physical line on the PC. I've seen plenty of situations where a device will connect at USB 1 speeds on some machines, and USB 2 on others. It seems to depend somewhat on the manufacturer of the USB hardware on the PC. It can also change depending on which USB controller you are using on your PC (If you have more than 2 ports, there is more than 1 usb controller).

I've not seen an MP3 player get even a decent fraction of the speed of USB 2. They generally don't have enough internal processing power to do this. The ipods are the fastest I've used on my machine. About 7 Megabytes/sec using firewire.

Though USB 1 is rated at a maximum speed of 12 megabits/sec it's more like 7-8 megabits/sec in real world measurements. If you are seeing 1-2 megaBYTES/sec you are connecting at USB 2 speeds and the speed is a limitation of the processing power of your device and the windows drivers between your device and the application you are using.

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 11:18:34 am »

I can try switching ports, that's something that I hadn't thought of.  I had no problems getting the right speed for USB 2.0 with Rio's software.

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2005, 05:58:06 pm »

I have a rio Karma and it works ok for me.
MC 11.1.

I think the transfer speed I get is ok.

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006, 04:06:56 pm »

I'm sorry but I'm having the issue agan; I had to reimage my drive and now my Karma won't work again.  I know the problem is that I have disabled a windows service that is needed, but I don't have a clue which one it could be.  Does anyone know the services that are required?

levon

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 05:19:58 pm »

See the post here as I got it work on 11.1.200 where it worked on the same PC w/ 10.x and stopped working after I upgraded to 11.1.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34191.0

I too see about 1-2Mb/sec transfer speeds.  Not too bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up