INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.1.54 Alpha  (Read 3438 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.1.54 Alpha
« on: November 09, 2005, 04:50:26 pm »

• This is an alpha version of MC 11.1.
  • There aren't many new features in it yet.
  • It will work with the same MC11 license that 11.0 uses.
  • Use at your own risk and do not make it your first download of MC.

As always, please post only bugs here -- anything requiring discussion should go in a new thread.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved. 

Media Center 11.1 ALPHA is now available.  PRICES for MC11.0 and 11.1 are here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311

The public release version of Media Center 11.0 is available here:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/download.html (recommended for new users)

This latest build of MC11.1 ALPHA is here:
http://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter111054.exe

11.1.54 (11/9/05)

1. Fixed: Dropping files on "Handheld Player" at the first page of the Action Window could open two handheld action windows at once.
2. Changed: Improved support for WMDM devices that didn't support folder creation.
3. Fixed: Library Server conversion on-the-fly was not converting.
4. Fixed: Library Server was not putting in content-length header.
5. Changed: Removed superfluous reader logging.
6. Fixed: Unpausing a slideshow after starting it by double-clicking a single image would pause again after showing one image.
7. Fixed: The display in Playing Now would not look correct if "Always show bars" was selected.
8. Fixed: During pre-buffering slow streams, DirectSound playback could "loop" instead of stopping.
9. Fixed: A couple of smartlist presets and search control presets still used the old "time ago" search syntax.
10. Fixed: The UPnP Server, TiVo Server, and Library Server were not cleaning up conversion temporary files.
11. Fixed: Editing in a playlist view header would not work as expected.

MC 11.1.53 (11/8/05)

1. Changed: Scrolling in the player uses loop style scrolling at constant velocity instead of side-to-side style scrolling at constant time.
2. Fixed: With Podcasts configured, the player could get stuck in an update loop while starting up.

MC 11.1.52 (11/8/05)

1. Fixed: Media Center could update its views multiple times when loading. (causing slowdowns)
2. Fixed: Playlist selection in handheld options would not be properly loaded when entering options.
3. Fixed: If there was an open error on a file the burner would hang.
4. Fixed: Setting aa as a supported file type (when appropriate) so that transfers to Audible ready devices will work properly.
5. Changed: Audible file genre set to "Audiobook" by default (if genre field from the file is empty).

MC 11.1.51 (5/7/05)

1. Changed: Removed "Check synchronization" action window item. (happens automatically if you're in a sync mode)
2. Changed: Closing the handheld action bin no longer prompts to clear the transfer queue. (happens automatically)
3. Changed: Remade handheld options dialog.
4. Fixed: Media Center would crash if hiding a service while that service was active.
5. NEW: Added option to auto-sync when device is connected.
6. Changed: Uninstall button disabled for plug-in categories in Plug-in Manager.
7. Changed: Uninstall button disabled for system plug-ins in Plug-in Manager.
8. NEW: Introduced new search syntax for searching for date elapsed, using the prefixes s,m,h,d,y in front of a number. (examples: "[Date Imported]=d1-d20" (imported 1 to 20 days ago) or "[Date]=>y5" (newer than 5 years ago))

MC 11.1.50 (11/4/05)

1. Changed: Added Services to the Plug-in manager.
2. Changed: Added Hide/Show to Services.
3. Removed: Services Manager Dialog.
4. Changed: Improved support for iRiver 8xx, 9xx, etc. devices.
5. Fixed: Podcast Album field (by default Podcast Pub Date) now uses regional time settings.
6. Fixed: Podcast display now remembers user selected sorting criteria.
7. Changed: During a handheld transfer, the currently uploading file will stay visible in the handheld list.
8. Fixed: Unplugging a device during a transfer could cause a crash.
9. Fixed: Player could get "stuck" when a file failed to playback properly.

MC 11.1.49 (11/02/05)

1. Changed: Audible service now comes installed with the player.
2. Fixed: Handheld plugin entries for plugins no longer used would still show in plugin manager.
3. Changed: Plugin Manager labels for Interface Plugins were confusing (changed start/stop to show/hide).
4. Fixed: Plugin Manager default values for Interface Plugins were wrong.
5. Fixed: Now properly handles RFC822 dates found in Podcast Feeds, regardless of OS/User internationalization settings.
6. Fixed: Application no longer crashes when previously downloaded Podcast Episodes vanish from a Podcast Feed.

New Features in MC 11.1
Podcasting
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

LonWar

Re: Media Center 11.1.54 Alpha
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 05:32:59 pm »

7. Fixed: The display in Playing Now would not look correct if "Always show bars" was selected.

Amazing, Thanks!!
-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 06:08:29 pm »

Not listed in this build, but a cool new feature, is the new "episode status" column under podcasts.  It makes it easy to start downloads and track what's going on.  It will continue to evolve over the next few builds.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 07:33:51 pm »

How exactly does the Library Server's "Convert Audio if Necessary" option work?

I have almost all of my tracks in my library as lossless WMA files. When I play from my client I can listen fine with the "Don't convert audio" option. But, if I use the "covert if necessary" option then it seems to convert the files.

I guess my question is: what defines when conversion is "necessary"?

Thanks,

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 08:56:55 pm »

I guess my question is: what defines when conversion is "necessary"?

For library server, "if necessary" will convert if the input type is different than the encoder type.  For example, if you pick "mp3", it won't convert mp3 files but will convert ape files.

With conversions for handheld uploads, "if necessary" is a tad more complicated because it factors in what types each device supports.

starker

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 09:41:51 pm »

Re: "I guess my question is: what defines when conversion is "necessary"?

Put this in the it would be VERY nice to have category:  I too have a few different audio file types and definitely a variety of bit rates.  Most of my catalog is in either WMA lossless for archiving my CDs, and WMA/DRM at 192kbps, but I also have mp3's at a variety of bit rates. 

What I would love to see with the "convert if necessary" function is for it to be able to (if set at WMA 192 for example) reduce my WMA lossless files (Windows media player is already able to do this) and large size mp3, ogg etc., but leave alone any file that's smaller.  For example, I would not want a 128k mp3 file converted to a 192k WMA file.

Yes....that would make me happy!   ;D

ps.  just went back and checked.  Even set as always convert, it still won't modify the WMA lossless to the WMA at 192.  frustrating.  So far this is about the only feature keeping me from completely switching from Media Player to Media Center.

starker

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 09:57:46 pm »

Also noticed transfer of the Yahoo WMA subscription files to my Zen Touch is about (rough guess) 20x slower than making the same file transfer using Windows Media Player. 

Ouch!!!  :o

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 10:22:31 pm »

Also noticed transfer of the Yahoo WMA subscription files to my Zen Touch is about (rough guess) 20x slower than making the same file transfer using Windows Media Player. 

Ouch!!!  :o

Please start a new thread.  We don't see the same.

Posting the full handheld log output from a few handheld transfers would help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 10:24:42 pm »

Re: "I guess my question is: what defines when conversion is "necessary"?

Put this in the it would be VERY nice to have category:  I too have a few different audio file types and definitely a variety of bit rates.  Most of my catalog is in either WMA lossless for archiving my CDs, and WMA/DRM at 192kbps, but I also have mp3's at a variety of bit rates. 

What I would love to see with the "convert if necessary" function is for it to be able to (if set at WMA 192 for example) reduce my WMA lossless files (Windows media player is already able to do this) and large size mp3, ogg etc., but leave alone any file that's smaller.  For example, I would not want a 128k mp3 file converted to a 192k WMA file.

Yes....that would make me happy!   ;D

ps.  just went back and checked.  Even set as always convert, it still won't modify the WMA lossless to the WMA at 192.  frustrating.  So far this is about the only feature keeping me from completely switching from Media Player to Media Center.

Remember that the client dictates conversion, not the server, so make sure your changing settings on the right one.  If you still have an issue with "always convert" please start a new thread so we can dig further.

Thanks.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 11:21:34 pm »

I am noticing that you cannot highlite songs in the main browsing box of the  media library.  Instead the mouse simply drags the song.  Normally pre 11.1, if you did not click on text, you could highlite up or down.  If the list is short, you can highlite from the bottom where no songs are showing.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 11:37:53 pm »

I am noticing that you cannot highlite songs in the main browsing box of the  media library.  Instead the mouse simply drags the song.  Normally pre 11.1, if you did not click on text, you could highlite up or down.  If the list is short, you can highlite from the bottom where no songs are showing.

This was changed on purpose.  You can use Ctrl+A to quickly select everything.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 11:53:57 pm »

This was changed on purpose.  You can use Ctrl+A to quickly select everything.

Why are the pane views left with that functionality but not the browsing area?

Ctrl-A doesn't help since I only want to select a block of songs, which the previous way allowed.

I'm thinking maybe make it an option to go either way?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

lOth

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 01:12:16 am »

no idea how it happened but I *think* .54 deleted some of my music files. This morning when I saw a few broken links in my smartlists I ran an import to fix it. Result: 45 missing files were removed from the library. I checked and they're not on the HD nor in the recycle bin. As far as I can tell, most of these files are tracks from album recently imported : in the examples I've seen 2 or 3 random files are missing from these albums. I'm 100% positive I didn't delete these files myself and the only thing I did so far with .54 is update suscribed podcasts and analyze a couple hundreds files that needed audio analysis. These missing files could well have been in the list of files to analyze: is it possible that for some reason some analyzed files are deleted?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 02:52:22 am »

date calculations:

Any chance we could get the expression logic the right way around, ie

=>y5 means greater than five years, not less than as it currently does.

Cheers,

Mark

betonmoewe

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 05:50:58 am »

and here another problem with (at least) 11.1.54:

It just happend (and it is repeatable) that I synced my playlists mith my iPod. After this I went to the device entry in the navigation tree to open it because I want to eject my iPod. After my click on this entry to open it, I got a message > searching devices< and then, my windows does not respond any more :( The only thing I could start (afte along while) was the task manager, but it was not possible to kill MC. I have to reset my pc.

When I open this suptree before I connect my iPod, everything is fine.

Btw: If I close MC (and have checked "disconnect on close") nothing happens, no disconnect any more :(

I think at least with 11.1.4x I have done this several times without problems.

JONCAT

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 06:06:34 am »

I haven't had the time or inclination to install the Alpha yet, has anyone had this problem that I have with .316?

If you have 2 cd drives MC11.316 will rip the second cd without asking......I have EAC ripping at the same time as MC, when its done, MC rips the cd as well. I wish we could see this bug fixed.

JC

Media Center Registered 11.0.314 -- C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 11\

Workstation 5.2 Service Pack 1 (Build 3790)
AMD Unknown 2489 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 628 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.3790.1830 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: _NEC    DVD_RW ND-3520AW  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive N: LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No

Burning /  Drive D: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-3520AW   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive N: LITE-ON  DVDRW LDW-811S     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 07:20:44 am »

date calculations:

Any chance we could get the expression logic the right way around, ie

=>y5 means greater than five years, not less than as it currently does.

Cheers,

Mark

New dates are bigger numbers.  Read "y5" as "five years ago" and it'll make more sense.

Mark Stega

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 08:02:17 am »

Testing now with transfers to my Zen Portable Media Center with .54 by deleting everything on the PMC & then dragging 6 albums to the "portable device" and doing a manual transfer (with a conversion from .WAV to lossless WMA):

1) Album names are still displayed as "the_name_of_the_album.alb"
2) No cover art appears to be transferred
3) Tracks within an album are displayed out of order.

lOth

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005, 08:38:13 am »

synced my iPod this morning: synced playlists appear in reverse alphabetical order on the device.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 09:54:20 am »

New dates are bigger numbers.  Read "y5" as "five years ago" and it'll make more sense.

[date imported]=>y5  (less than five)
[rating]=>4 (greater than four)

It ain't just me who's gonna be confused by this contradictory syntax.

Mark

wickesy

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 10:26:35 am »

[date imported]=>y5  (less than five)
[rating]=>4 (greater than four)

It ain't just me who's gonna be confused by this contradictory syntax.

Mark

I agree.  Replace the first example above with:

"10 November 2004 is more than 5 years ago", which is the mathematical way of reading it, and you will begin to see the problem.

LonWar

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 10:36:34 am »

Volume Levelling Seems to be broken,

DSP Studio
Replay Gain checked
Track Based Checked
Adjustment : Fixed

I keep haveing to turn up and down the computer volume.
All my tracks are analyzed wma's.
-

lOth

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 11:04:14 am »

when you add a new podcast you need to hit F5 for it to appear in the navigation tree.

starker

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 01:18:03 pm »

When viewing the media library, or library browser, the function that allows you to type a letter or two to get to an artist or album seems to be broken.  i.e. when viewing artists, I could type the letter "u" and it would zoom to the first artist starting with the letter "u", in this case U2.  I would also be able to quickly type two or more letters and land close to the next artist with those letters:  type "ul" and land on the band Ultravox.

I can't do this any more. 

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2005, 01:28:01 pm »

============

Desktop and start menu shortcuts are still being created by the automatic upgrade installer.

===========

When editing fields in AW > file properties > tag info, the cursor does not change to a 'typing cursor' (??) when moved into the field that is currently in edit mode.

===========

Using [dimensions] in the thumbnail text (customise current view) results in:

CIRCULAR: dimensions

being displayed instead of the actual image dimensions.

============

replay gain is definately playing up.
My DSP settings are:
Only replay gain enabled.
track based, fixed gain, clip protection.

I see this most when the playing now list changes encoders, mpc to mp3 for example. The volume goes up, quite severely. Stopping playback and then starting again sorts things out till the next time. All tracks in playing now have been analysed, by previous releases of MC, not 11.1

============

The audible store tree node is being reactivated with each upgrade. Could the user preference be remembered and respected here?

============

I've set keywords for commonly used library fields. I used lp= for [last played] and fnp= for [file name (path)] for example.
If I type fnp=dylan into the search bar, when MC converts this to "friendly view" it displays it as "playlist: p=dylan"
It does this wherever I've used the letter p in the keyword.

============

Wishes:
============

Please, can we get an "apply" button on the "edit viewscheme" options like there is on the customise current view options?

============

Navigation ~ Favourites ~ maybe this time around?:

Discussion?

============

Status bar irritations.
I often rate a song that's playing while I'm working with MC, or perhaps i'll correct a tagging error I've spotted on the currently playing track. The problem then is that the status bar hangs on "saving tags.. 1 remaining" and then on "done saving tag changes"
This means the usual information in the status bar is not visible. Is there any way that the tag saving status can be seperated, perhaps placing it in the far right of the status bar, allowing the usual status info to always be displayed?
If it's do-able, it would be a most welcome update at this end.

============

Would be cool if we could use database expressions in the thumbnail text area of "customise current view"

============

"selection by dragging" does not work, which is by design. It'll be missed. Any chance of a reprieve?

============

-marko.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 04:12:52 pm »

When viewing the media library, or library browser, the function that allows you to type a letter or two to get to an artist or album seems to be broken.  i.e. when viewing artists, I could type the letter "u" and it would zoom to the first artist starting with the letter "u", in this case U2.  I would also be able to quickly type two or more letters and land close to the next artist with those letters:  type "ul" and land on the band Ultravox.

I can't do this any more. 

It's a new feature that it searches all fields.  So keep typing and you'll get there.  (it works a little like Ctrl+Q but without the dialog)
Pages: [1]   Go Up