INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Action Window Wish  (Read 1858 times)

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Action Window Wish
« on: November 17, 2005, 12:22:43 pm »

It would sure be nice if Media Center opened with the Action Window remembering it's last state when the program last closed. Would be handy, when using the action window while doing a lot of editing on files. Just a wish. Thanks for listening.
Thanks!

ferent

• Galactic Citizen
  • Go to Linux
Re: Action Window Wish
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 12:48:52 pm »

Yes!! good Idea!!
Go to linux

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 01:01:54 pm »

It's bad for new users.  It's the kind of thing that can get them lost.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 04:41:03 pm »

It's bad for new users.  It's the kind of thing that can get them lost.

I agree but MC is not a program for computer illiterates.  This is why you would have options like 'Remember action window state' and you default it to 'No'.

JLee

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 04:49:10 pm »

It isn't about catering to illiterates.  Smart people sometimes don't notice things you'd think they would.  We learned a lot a year ago when we spent about 100 hours watching new users navigate around MC.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 07:23:00 pm »

100 hours watching new users navigate around MC.

I guess that was a top secret study group
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 07:31:45 pm »

The ceiling was six feet of concrete.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 03:57:53 pm »

I guess that was a top secret study group

The ceiling was six feet of concrete.

;D

My coffee almost came out my nose.  Thanks for making my Friday better!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 04:23:54 pm »

If you need to continually annoy the more advanced users in order to accommodate the novices, maybe the UI needs to be re-thunk.   ::)

Let's keep things in perspective.  We're talking about 1 or 2 clicks here.  You can always minimize the program if you don't want to lose your state.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 04:43:34 pm »

I can certainly understand (and appreciate) the development team's dedication to preventing "option bloat".  Having a Preferences Dialog with 8,000,000 tabs and checkboxes is the quickest way to turn people off to a new system.  Some power users, like me, love them, but to most people it's just confusing.

However, isn't there a way we could have the best of both worlds?  I, personally, don't care at all if the Action Window remember's it's state (it takes one click to minimize it), but people do ask for this feature a lot.  However, I ask for weird options all the time that would be VERY useful to some people (and admittedly not to many others).

If many of these "rarely used" options were implemented in an XML settings file that MC used, or implemented in the Windows Registry (I would definitely vote for #1), the "super-power-users" we would be able to more completely customize our interface without bloating the standard Preferences Panel.  In fact, you could actually even streamline the existing panel a bit more if there was this "extra-advanced" method of modifying the application's behavior!  (And then some extremely helpful user like KingSparta or I would come along and design an application that modifies the archaic XML settings file for us and everyone would be happy.)

This model is used in all kinds of applications, from SageTV to Firefox to Windows itself (what is the Registry for after all).  Why not?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 08:01:13 pm »

Oooh, take the amazing engine that MC has built and allow sedans fro some, suv's for others, and luxury/sports cars for still others.. ;D

I like lexus becuase they have thought up just about everything that a media player I mean car should have.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 05:10:11 pm »

I can certainly understand (and appreciate) the development team's dedication to preventing "option bloat".  Having a Preferences Dialog with 8,000,000 tabs and checkboxes is the quickest way to turn people off to a new system.  Some power users, like me, love them, but to most people it's just confusing.

However, isn't there a way we could have the best of both worlds?  I, personally, don't care at all if the Action Window remember's it's state (it takes one click to minimize it), but people do ask for this feature a lot.  However, I ask for weird options all the time that would be VERY useful to some people (and admittedly not to many others).

If many of these "rarely used" options were implemented in an XML settings file that MC used, or implemented in the Windows Registry (I would definitely vote for #1), the "super-power-users" we would be able to more completely customize our interface without bloating the standard Preferences Panel.  In fact, you could actually even streamline the existing panel a bit more if there was this "extra-advanced" method of modifying the application's behavior!  (And then some extremely helpful user like KingSparta or I would come along and design an application that modifies the archaic XML settings file for us and everyone would be happy.)

This model is used in all kinds of applications, from SageTV to Firefox to Windows itself (what is the Registry for after all).  Why not?

Great post glynor, I totally agree. And while I have a small voice in here, that type of customization is what really helped those programs really become great to use. Beginners could use the program as is, and the novices got to benefit from the advanced users tweaking, and those advanced users could really make the program better and suite more people rather than trying to design one program to fit best in the whole of the masses. I mean most of the plug-ins are pretty dated and tired I think it's because it seems there no ease to customize the program other than some skinning mods. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing on the dev. team, I just wish for it to be the best it can because I love it so much! Anyway, thanks for listening and keep up the great work.
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up