INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can't rip a CD or encode a LAME mp3  (Read 2098 times)

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
I can't rip a CD or encode a LAME mp3
« on: November 20, 2005, 07:39:44 am »

I'm using 11.1.60 at the moment and I can't seem to rip CD tracks.  The rip progress box says "Initializing for rip..." and immediately, a box pops up that says:

Information
The output directory could not be created for one or more files.

Please double-check the output directory in the ripping options.

There's nothing wrong with the output directory, though.  It's fine and I can change it and it doesn't fix anything.  If I change it to a directory that doesn't exist, it gets created but I get the same error.  I switched back to MC10 and ripping works fine on that.  I always rip to uncompressed wave first so I have a chance to edit out silences and stuff.

I also seem to have trouble encoding a wav file to mp3.  I've tried using all the different encoding options and they all give a "failed to convert" error before encoding even starts.  Again, MC10 works.  Is my 11.1.xx plugin library somehow corrupted?  How can I fix this?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: I can't rip a CD or encode a LAME mp3
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 03:15:26 pm »

Why MC 11.1? It is an alpha version and it may have problems. I would recommend trying the latest official version, MC 11.0.316.

Also, it would be better to have only one MC version installed at a time, because it is possible that some settings in the Windows registry get mixed and cause problems.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 06:13:02 pm »

11.1 has better 4G iPod support since Apple's nasty firmware update.   11.0 doesn't support ratings or playcounts right.  Plus, they're on the verge of full cover art support.  This is like the bicentennial for my generation and it's 1975.  Maybe not, but I use MC mainly because I need it to put songs on my iPod.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 06:20:38 pm »

Alex,
11.1 has a lot of improvements for handhelds in general, and the iPods in particular.  It's at the point where there will be stable builds as well as unstable builds, but I understand your caution.

The use of iPods is moving so fast that we can't afford to wait for perfection.

Forsakenardor,
What is the nasty iPod problem you're talking about?  I'm in the dark.

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 06:28:22 pm »

Well, it was a big stink when people started updating their firmware a few months ago.  Ratings disappeared and 'last played' fields turned into enough negative days to equal about 10 years in the past.  Modifying a rating didn't do anything, either.  As soon as you docked, whether you ran MC or not, ratings in the database would wipe and MC would often delete everything during a sync.  This problem has long been fixed.

But uh, my problem is with the encoders...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 06:32:37 pm »

But uh, my problem is with the encoders...
Right.  We'll get it fixed next week.

Thanks for the details.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 09:46:50 am »

11.1 has better 4G iPod support since Apple's nasty firmware update.   11.0 doesn't support ratings or playcounts right.  Plus, they're on the verge of full cover art support.  This is like the bicentennial for my generation and it's 1975.  Maybe not, but I use MC mainly because I need it to put songs on my iPod.

I see. Because you mentioned MC10 I got the impression that you upgraded directly from MC10 to the latest MC11.1 alpha just because it is newer than 11.0 and without having any other particular reason. Usually people who test alpha builds report their bug findings directly in the release thread.

I would have answered differently if you had mentioned that this problem didn't exist in the 11.1.59 build (or whatever 11.1 build you had before).

Unfortunately problems like this are holding me from installing MC 11.1 on my networked home PCs. I really would like to have a stable 11.1 build that I could revert to if needed. Every released build has had at least one serious problem that would have prevented me and others in my family from using MC normally. I have tried a few MC 11.1 alphas on my laptop, which is only in my personal use, but that doesn't make possible to test how it works on my HTPC and client/server systems in daily use.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 06:32:32 am »

Is anyone else having this problem?  I don't see anyone asking about ripping or encoding problems with the alpha builds.  I tried reinstalling.  Uninstall is broken for 98SE, so I have to delete the MC directory, but I don't touch the registry and I don't think ripping and encoding are affected by registry entries except for output directory and file naming settings.  Plus, I don't want to set everything up all over again.  Installing after deleting the MC directory doesn't do anything to help.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 07:13:03 am »

I'll try the current build later on this weekend, but I don't have 98SE.

Many registry key values stay if the uninstaller can't be used. The new installation adopts the previous values. If the problem is with the registry I think you have to clean it first. You may want to wait for other answers, but here are some instructions for a complete uninstall: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28727.0.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 12:29:41 pm »

confirmed using windows 98 se:

can't rip.
yadb lookup fails
can't play the cd
can't list the files on the cd

EDIT:
Updated aspi layer and now see the same as forsakenardor. I don't know if it's relevant or not, but the yadb lookup also fails (disc not found) but is successful on the xp machine. I also notice that there is a "dead" area in the filelist header...

and the win98 machines' sysinfo....
Media Center Registered 11.1.65 -- C:\Program Files\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
AMD Athlon 2088 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 188 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81.4916 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2800 / Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive D: MSC/DVD-ROM         Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Same disc, windows xp SP2, no problems at all.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up