INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox 8.0.379  (Read 5824 times)

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
Media Jukebox 8.0.379
« on: September 25, 2002, 01:54:28 pm »

Media Jukebox 8.0.379 is available:  

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox80379.exe  

History:
1. Fixed: Submitting CD to YADB would pass wrong information in the title field.
2. Fixed: Submitting empty genre field to YADB would cause XML parsing error.
3. Fixed: Media Jukebox was locking up while updating some mp3 files.
4. Fixed: Download Manager was using one character to describe track number.
5. Fixed: Download Manager was not saving tag information for emusic files.
6. Fixed: Media Jukebox 8 was associating itself with image files.
7. Fixed: Download Manager was not correctly resuming incomplete downloads.
8. NEW: Added option to disable association with external image file during importing.

JimHus

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Media Jukebox 8.0.379
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2002, 03:20:48 pm »

Ok - having strange problems with MP3 Tag info.

Just discovered it in 378 - and saw you were on 379. Same issue.

None of the MP3 info is present when I use WMP9 or MP3Ext - all fields empty.

However MP3 Tag Studio shows everything properly.

Winamp3 can also see the tags.  like to know why WMP9 and MP3Ext started to fail Sure completely on the tags - but with Winamp3, MPMan32, and TagStudio all reading them fine.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.379
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1529 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 235 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

NoCodeUK

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2002, 12:15:49 am »

I had this same problem but I put it down to WMP9's new XML tagging system.  I found if I recreated the files WMP9 could then read them so I think it is a WMP problem and not an MJ problem.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Jonas

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2002, 03:57:15 am »

I have a playlist where one of the song names includes an ampersand.  It looks OK on the screen, but when I print it, the ampersand makes the next character underlined.

For example, "A & B" would become "A _B".

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2002, 04:24:12 am »

Thats a windows problem.  It has nothing to do with MJ.  You will probably find the same behavior with other programs.  I think it is linked to the MS Sans Serif.fon font not actually containing an ampersand character.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

JimHus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2002, 05:18:24 am »

Windows intentionally makes the & char stand for "Next Char Underlined." Usually, when planned, the next character is not a space. Like "&Cancel" will display Cancel to let you see that "C" is a hotkey for the button. A real pita to code around when you don't want it, but it allows you to underline a character when you aren't using any real formatting language.

---

While it could be entirely somthing wrong with WMP9 and MP3Ext - they have no problems at all with Id3 Tags created/updated by MJ 2 weeks ago. It's only with the last couple of versions. Only the ID3 tags I've edited in the last couple of weeks show this behavior, the rest are fine.

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2002, 06:21:36 am »

JimHus,

like to know why WMP9 and MP3Ext started to fail Sure completely on the tags - but with Winamp3, MPMan32, and TagStudio all reading them fine.

The problem is directly connected to the inability of WMP 9 and MP3Ext to recognize extended fields in mp3 files. Media Jukebox adds a field called MJMD (media jukebox metadata) to store extra information (custom fields, album artist, etc.) My guess is that WMP 9 fails when it encounters MJMD field. Usually programs just skip unrecognized fields and display the information they do understand.

BTW: Although Winamp2 and Winamp3 can read and display a tag created by MJ, they will remove the MJMD field if you use the programs to modify tags.

Nikolay

salsbst

• nothing more to say...
Re: Media Jukebox 8.0.379 / & ampersand
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2002, 07:12:38 am »

Ampersand is the "escape character" for ampersand...

...in other words, if you get _ where you wanted &, try doubling the number of ampersands in your input.

e.g. A && B

Obviously, if the handling of the input is inconsistent between screen and print, then you'll have to choose, but at least you'll be armed to do so.

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2002, 07:27:38 pm »

I am getting a 'member not found' error when clicking the 'download whole album' button on eMusic.

Download Manager: 1.0.129

CPU: AMD Athlon 1399 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 335 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2002, 07:56:45 pm »

Thats a windows problem.  It has nothing to do with MJ.  You will probably find the same behavior with other programs.  I think it is linked to the MS Sans Serif.fon font not actually containing an ampersand character.

Adam

No offense, but there is no reason MJ should be printing an underscore in the place of an ampersand. That's a bug. It has everything to do with MJ.

nivw

• World Citizen
  • "I m singing in the rain, na na nanana..."
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2002, 10:22:21 pm »

Your FTP is SO busy.
I am connected via cable-modem and its usually a click away to d/l the lates build. But for this one I can't get it for 12 hours now :-(

Niv

"I open up my heart" ... on flashfm using MJB 8

sekim

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2002, 12:57:01 am »

Adam

It is a bug. Changing fonts still produces an underscore.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2002, 02:42:35 am »

I don't deny its a bug but its a bug I have seen in other programs too including MS ones so I am guessing it has something to do with windows.  I usually see it when there is a tool tip which contains an ampersand.  I think it actually even does this in Windows Explorer(?)  Not sure if it does it in XP but it defnitely did in 9x.  I am sure that JRiver could do some coding to remove it but do we really expect them to code to make up for MS poor coding in the Windows API??

Adam

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2002, 05:16:55 am »

I am sure that JRiver could do some coding to remove it but do we really expect them to code to make up for MS poor coding in the Windows API??

Adam

You know not of what you speak, grasshopper. This is not a problem with the Windows API. Don't blame Windows for what is clearly and simply a Media Jukebox bug (allbeit a small bug, to be sure).

dnoyeb

• Recent member
Tagness
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2002, 06:03:52 am »

So I'm recording Ready For the Worlds Greatest Hits this morning but im running out of time.  So computer 1 is recording to computer 3 in the basement.  Its upto about song 6.  I tell computer 2 that hosts my server to update its library with the changes I been making using computer 1 all morning to the files on computer 3.

To make a long story even longer...The library does not collect complete information appearantly because the tags are not written completely.  Now I understand the tag for the current recording file not being written completely.  But then again, I don't.  

File 01 and File 06 got put in the unassigned folder for not having an album/artist info in the tags.  But file 2-5 were done ok.  Why?

File 01 and File 06 failed in the same way.
01 - Oh Shiela   Length 2:04, size 1.504MB
06 - Love You Down,   Length 5:27, size 4.324MB

Now when I actually play file 01 its time shows up as 4:02 and thats certainly more than 1.504MB worth of time and it plays more than 2:04 as well.  Is the song time stored in the tag info? Why is playback time different from time showed in the DB?  Song 06 seems to have a good time tag, but this is the file that was likely not finished when it was imported?

Basically from time to time it seems that songs are not getting tagged fully.  Just randomly.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2002, 06:25:17 am »

I apologise profusely to his billness and offer him my soul on a plate if I have unduly dissed his software!!  I only thought it was a windows problem as I have seen it happen in other software.  I am not a very experienced programmer so don't know the windows API inside out.

I don't notice this bug in XP tho whcih made me wonder...

Please don't report me to MS.  They might set Steve Ballmer on me ;D

Adam

(Is being a grasshopper a really bad thing only noone has ever called me one before!!!)

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2002, 06:33:46 am »

Please don't report me to MS.  They might set Steve Ballmer on me

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2002, 09:06:32 am »

Your FTP is SO busy.
I am connected via cable-modem and its usually a click away to d/l the lates build. But for this one I can't get it for 12 hours now :-(

That could be a backbone problem.  We're still seeing a lot of downloads.

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2002, 09:10:34 am »

That could be a backbone problem.  We're still seeing a lot of downloads.

I downloaded it a couple of hours ago. It was plenty fast.

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2002, 02:18:42 pm »

I downloaded it a couple of hours ago. It was plenty fast.

No problems here
Made in Portugal

LCtheDJ

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A day without music is... unacceptable!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2002, 05:42:45 pm »

Got a bug here.  I tried to rename file from properties after filling the ID3V2 tag with another tag editor.  All went well until I hit "Exposé".  MJ didn't like the accented character é and gagged on it.

Too many strange things happened; I can't tell what happened in what order.  The artist field became blank.  The file got renamed with the artist left out.

"Exposé - What You Don't Know" became " - What You Don't Know"

BTW, the problem with the ampersand not being displayed is an old bug with MJ and was fixed a long time ago.  It may be back for some; I'm not seeing it with W2K.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." -- American humorist Will Rogers (1879-1935)

sekim

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2002, 06:32:29 pm »

Printing the list is the problem. Not displaying.

If you export the list as html there is no problem.

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2002, 12:41:15 am »

BUG: Get a playlist, play a song in the middle, press "Ctrl-R" for re-shuffle. Fine. Playing song goes to top of list. Now, pretend you don't like MJ's randomising and so press "Ctrl-R" again to re-shuffle. Notice what MJ thinks it is playing in the playlist section.

First found using 375, still present and replicated in 379.  :(
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2002, 01:05:55 am »

Nikolay,
JimHus,
None of the MP3 info is present when I use WMP9 or MP3Ext - all fields empty.

My guess is that WMP 9 fails when it encounters MJMD field.

It could also be another problem: at least MP3Ext can't handle ID3v2 unsynchronization of binary tags (like images). Because MJ does unsync the tag when adding images, MP3Ext won't be able to read the tag contents anymore (however, I don't know how WMP9 handles this).

Although MP3Ext doesn't fully comply with the ID3v2 spec because of this, I still use it, but I always add images from MP3Ext.

sekim

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2002, 10:08:58 am »

Bug:

Update All Database Fields throws out special font charactors.

Changed: Tool - Ænima

To: Tool - nima

Additional: What Font set contains this? Æ    

Need to re-type it in.

sekim

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2002, 04:16:53 pm »

Convert files is removing the originals even when that option is not checked. It is not removing the files from the HD, just the database.

I have view schemes for APE - MP3 - Wav. The ape files being converted are no longer showing up. Re-import and the files go back to their respective spots in the view scheme.

From past converts, MJ did not do this.

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
Help:TEAC CD-W540 burner only
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2002, 05:56:56 pm »

I have a TEAC CD-W540 40X burner. In the CD Burner options in MJ the highest speed that can be set is 24X. After I paid and the reg code was loaded into the program is when this started happened. Before I downloaded the reg code I could burn at 40X.

I am running late model hardware.
TEAC CD-W540
SOYO MB with on-board RAID disabled in BIOS

Software:
MJ latest release (Paid for)
Configured to use internal ASPI
Nero 5.x
XPlay

Please help. Is there anyother way to gain support for this product?
Offer them what they secretly want and they of course immediately become panic-stricken.

RemyJ

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2002, 09:31:23 pm »

I think the internal ASPI layer is having problems with IDE CD drives connected to add-in IDE controllers that mask as SCSI controllers.

I have a SONY CRX175A connected to a Promise Ultra ATA/100 PCI controller as the secondary master.  Any time I try to write audio tracks to the device I get a TARGET error 04h 00h 04h and the drive locks requiring a reboot.

If I connect the drive to the motherboard it works (but uses much CPU which is why I moved it to the Promise)

If I install the Adaptec 4.71 ASPI layer, it works fine connected to the Promise.

Remy

CPU: Intel Pentium II 395 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 408 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Server 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.00.3502.1000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.00.3315.3727
Shlwapi.dll: 5.00.3502.5332
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2002, 12:49:43 am »

8. NEW: Added option to disable association with external image file during importing.

Thank you - finally I can import my files again.

But another bug has crept in - I cannot delete images from the tag. If I click on "Remove", MJ displays "no image", but if I close and re-open the file properties, the image is still there.

sekim

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2002, 06:05:50 am »

Correction to my post above:

Apparently MJ is behaving normally. Updating the database to reflect the convertion is what is getting me. If I want to save the originals, shouldn't MJ leave them without removing them from the database? If I sent the originals to the recycle bin I could see this being the case for what it is doing now. I do not have this option checked.

Basically I want both types of files to show. Ape and mp3. Converting the apes to mp3 and leave the apes alone. As it is now, I have to either re-import the original files, or the newly converted. Is there a way to enable the file 'Move to Location' without having to go thru the steps of importing one or the other? Seems MJ should be able to handle this kind of feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up