INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: library server not connecting  (Read 1259 times)

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
library server not connecting
« on: December 15, 2005, 06:20:06 pm »

Hi hope someone can help me. I went through the help and did what was asked of me to connect to my upstairs library from my downstairs client. I started the server upstairs and then tried the search for servers downstairs and it found nothing. I currently run wirelessly with a wireless router upstairs and wireless adapter down. I am able to connect to the internet on both machines but can not get this library server to work. Both Media center versions are the same on each machine. My basement computer will be hooked to my stereo once I get this thing running where I can stream from my more powerful computer upstairs (the server). Any suggestions from the Media Center gurus?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: library server not connecting
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 06:23:41 pm »

On the server, find the IP address.  From a DOS CMD window, type ipconfig.

On the client, try connecting to that address.  If it works, add it to Library Manager (under File in MC).

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 07:46:33 pm »

I had tried your suggestion before and it still comes up with downloading the failed to connect to a server and does nothing but stops and reverts back to default library. The server upstairs is running.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 11:01:30 pm »

Is the port correct? Are you running a firewall on either computer?

j

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 08:28:10 am »

I am running the firewall that comes with XP that is it. I was wondering if I have to set up a full network. I am not sure about any of this I am totally new to networking. I will try to shut off the firewall and try again to start.

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 09:15:04 am »

Tried it with firewall off same thing. Does it have anything to do with my main upstairs computer is XP and the second downstairs is 98SE?

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 09:49:53 am »

Played around got it going but there is a lot of skipping I guess this is a wireless trade off there must be a way of improving the connection. Has anyone else dealt with this situation? Do I need further access points etc....

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 09:57:27 am »

Are you using 802.11b? What's the signal quality? Try measuring the time to copy a large file from one machine to the other and see what bandwidth you are getting. Are both machines using wireless? You could move the WAP next to one of the two and connect that machine via ethernet (to a switch with the wireless also on the switch).

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up