INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will MC12 be an explorer replacement?  (Read 1166 times)

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
Will MC12 be an explorer replacement?
« on: December 20, 2005, 08:59:30 pm »

With improvements in MC11.1, MC is getting very close to perfect in its (arguably)basic  functionality: organization.

While tagging mechanisms are great (the new MC 11.1 mechanisms may need new methods to tag), the mechanisms for physical organization is very poor. Once you import your files in MC, you need to change folders within MC to keep the database consistent.  While MC "My Computer" provides all required features, it doesn't provide a user friendly interface.

MC should have explorer-like folders

The My Computer tree is fine, but we need to have a folder view on the right pane. For example, in the current mechanism, moving Folders is a real pain. So is searching for files that are not imported yet.

Moreover, you should be able to open multiple MC folders and copy between them. (for example similar to ACDSee).

As Vista is approaching and Windows moves to a database-centric view, MC should recapture the existing folder centric view and completely replace explorer.

Or are folders irrelevant and are doomed to disapear anyway and I shouldn't worry that my folders are as organized as my tags? (but what about non-tagged stuff such as cover booklet pdfs, log files, etc that I keep with the folders. )

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Will MC12 be an explorer replacement?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 05:25:48 am »

MC should have explorer-like folders

The My Computer tree is fine, but we need to have a folder view on the right pane. For example, in the current mechanism, moving Folders is a real pain. So is searching for files that are not imported yet.
This worked well in MC 10. I'm not sure what the status in MC11.1 is currently.

Moreover, you should be able to open multiple MC folders and copy between them. (for example similar to ACDSee).
Which version of ACDSee ?

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Will MC12 be an explorer replacement?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 05:17:02 pm »

This worked well in MC 10. I'm not sure what the status in MC11.1 is currently.

Which version of ACDSee ?

To clarify, the virtual folder functions (folders + filtering etc) the media library provides is perfect . The folders are not incorporated to the new media browser in 11.1 but I am sure that MC team is working on it.

What I don't like is the physical folder/file manipulation through My Computer tree in MC. I am not saying it does not work , I am just saying that the folder tree is not a nice structure for all people and purposes. MC should be able to replace windows explorer. I am refering to ACDSee classic 2.4x, which is basically an explorer replacement and does not maintain a database.
Pages: [1]   Go Up