INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrong license restore count  (Read 1153 times)

Currybian

Wrong license restore count
« on: December 31, 2005, 10:51:46 am »

When I do a "defrag" or "ChkDsk /F" on Windows XP my MC10 licenses appear to get lost. I got the same phenomenon when I log on as a different user.
Fortunately, I could cover these incidents with my "remaining restores" in the past. Recently I discovered, that the number of restores is not calculated by year (as stated) it's calculated in total !

In fact I used 8 restores in the last 2 years, not all in one year.
Please reset my counter and investigate what's going wrong.
 ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Wrong license restore count
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 11:01:41 am »

Your MC10 license has a number of restores left.  Try e-mailing it to yourself from our restore page.

Currybian

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 04:30:42 am »

The problem is NOT to receive the Temporary install key - that works fine.
The problem is that the webpage keeps telling me I have 2 restores left though I should have at least 7 for this year !!

Or put in other words: I'm afraid of running out of restores. Or what will happen, when I reach number zero?

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 05:17:46 am »

Don't worry about it. When the time comes and you 've used all your restores, just let J River know about your situation then and I'm sure they'll help you out.  It's decided on a case by case basis and is part of j river's great personal service. :)

The restores' policy is not about limiting ligit users, but rather keeping jerks from passing around free copies of MC and the key.

On the other hand, you should investigate why your computer keeps losing the license, that isn't really normal behaviour.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 10:27:08 am »

To confirm what the others have been saying, the restore count you are seeing is correct. I show restores being done on:

Thu Mar 10 14:40:40 2005

Wed Apr 13 13:06:34 2005

Sun Jun 12 07:22:52 2005

Fri Aug  5 15:09:38 2005

Fri Sep 16 04:15:31 2005

Mon Oct  3 08:43:40 2005

Mon Nov 14 14:16:32 2005

Sat Dec 31 10:02:14 2005

That's 8 restores within the past year, and you have 2 left. Just drop a note here if you run out. Are you changing your system name frequently?

j

Currybian

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 04:39:20 am »

There have been several changes on my side in 2005:
1) Changing PC-OS from Win2000 to Win XP (no update, fresh install)
2) Splitting user rights: I install using a "root" or "admin" account and I run MC using a "jukebox" account with limited rights. I try to grant as less rights as possible by setting explicit rights in the registry and filesystem, since this account is used on parties  ;D
3) Moving my jukebox from my home-PC to a good old laptop
4) Some misconfigurations or crashes and necessary reinstalls (broken hard-drive etc.)

Since I'm quite busy over the week, I do this kind of work from one weekend to another. If I forgot to register the MC correctly the 14 days run out quite quickly...
Pages: [1]   Go Up