INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash with MC11.1  (Read 865 times)

comicbookworm

Crash with MC11.1
« on: January 02, 2006, 06:31:47 am »

It crashes hard for multiple reasons. And then I can't even kill the process with taskkill /f/t. It says it's killing it but it doesn't. And then I can't even shut down the system. One time I was looking at the plug-ins directory and then said cancel to exit the selection. Another time it was when I accidentally clicked on TV. And I can't remember all the other times.

I shut down my ipodservice and ituneshelper  before loading the product just to see if that would make a difference and it didn't.

And frankly I have the same problem will all the beta versions and the released commercial product.

And I have uninstalled it and removed the registry entries. Then I went on a search and destroy for any leftover entries or files on the system. So I had a clean install and it didn't help.

I think this could be a great product, but it is way too unstable. I was going to buy two copies: one for me and one for a technophobe friend I was helping out. But I can't with this level of instability.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Media Center 11.1.90 Release Candidate
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 07:14:15 am »

It crashes hard for multiple reasons. And then I can't even kill the process with taskkill /f/t. It says it's killing it but it doesn't. And then I can't even shut down the system. One time I was looking at the plug-ins directory and then said cancel to exit the selection. Another time it was when I accidentally clicked on TV. And I can't remember all the other times.

I shut down my ipodservice and ituneshelper before loading the product just to see if that would make a difference and it didn't.

And frankly I have the same problem will all the beta versions and the released commercial product.

And I have uninstalled it and removed the registry entries. Then I went on a search and destroy for any leftover entries or files on the system. So I had a clean install and it didn't help.

I think this could be a great product, but it is way too unstable. I was going to buy two copies: one for me and one for a technophobe friend I was helping out. But I can't with this level of instability.

This is not commonly happening, otherwise this forum would be full of reports like yours. I have MC 11.1 installed on three totally different PCs and I don't experience crashes. Also, 11.0 was fine on my PCs.

You may want to start a new thread for tracking down the problem. Include your system info (MC Help menu > System Info...) and as much information about the crashes as possible. Also, include information about your display card and sound card and the used driver versions. You can post details of each crash separately if they seem to occur randomly.

Many times crash problems are caused by other reasons than MC itself. For example, I had a crash problem on one of my PCs, which was caused by the display driver and QuickTime codec together. The details are here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30615.0.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crash with MC11.1
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 07:18:33 am »

A crash may indicate a hardware problem.  Try the FAQ here and the thread on the many reasons for crashes.

lukecro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • editorial, publishing
Re: Crash with MC11.1
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 08:04:20 pm »

Comicbookworm,

I also started getting some crashes with the betas. My crashes may or may not be related to your troubles, but you might want to log your next crash and compare your log info to mine, here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31077.0

I thought my MC crashes were happening kinda randomly, but after looking at the logs it became clear that MC was doing some stuff in the background (internet checker/podcast stuff) during every crash -- so maybe the crashes weren't so random after all.

They're going to look into the errors I'm getting, so if you're getting crashes for a similar reason then it could indicate a problem that's larger than just my PC acting like a wimp.... If not, then good luck with your particular errors. I'm sure MC will get all this cleared up...

-- lukecro
Pages: [1]   Go Up