INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is IE required for MJ?  (Read 1423 times)

frostbyte

• nothing more to say...
Is IE required for MJ?
« on: September 24, 2002, 01:25:25 am »

I would like to find out whether Internet Explorer is required for MJ to work properly. I am running Win98 (thru 98lite Micro), totally without IE or MS HTML engine on my system.

Potential problems?
1) MJ always try to connect to the net upon starting, even though I have disabled that feature;
2) I don't seem to be able to access the build-in help file.

Thanks in advance. ?

skidoo

• World Citizen
Re: Is IE required for MJ?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2002, 04:20:43 am »

Just curious: Why in the world would anyone run Windows with IE completely removed?  I mean, I can understand using a different browser for your surfing, but trying to run with absolutely no IE? You heard Bill!  It should not be attempted!

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2002, 04:53:01 am »

Skidoo

For long,before i have ADSL,i had a 98SE with IE removed.
Netscape was running much much better,my computer was faster and more stable.

I have it now,because of streaming wmp format

frostbyte

Do not know what you run exatly.Just Windows without IE,but still the ??[do not remember the name] that many programs need.

At the time of MJ7 ,i was running Windows without IE on it and it was fine,if for one thing: opening Interact from inside MJ gave me and Netscape opening on interact and a pop up window'cannot connect' or something like it.

But look like that now you need IE to buy and,most of the time ,download the plugins.
Jrivers gurus would tell you the exact situation

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 06:55:06 am »

I would also like to know this.

I plan on using MJ to power a music player for my truck and would like to know it's dependencies.  I want to make as small an install of Windows as possible using the same LitePC software.

Listening to: 'Walk A Mile in My Shoes' from 'AM Gold Early '70s Classics' by 'Joe South and the Belivers' on Media Jukebox

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 06:58:44 am »

You need IE 5.5 or above.

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2002, 07:01:21 am »

Is it necessary for MJ to work or is it just for the built-in Help?

Listening to: 'She Believes in Me' from '20 Great Years' by 'Kenny Rogers' on Media Jukebox

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2002, 10:07:47 am »

I would also like to know this.

I plan on using MJ to power a music player for my truck and would like to know it's dependencies.  I want to make as small an install of Windows as possible using the same LitePC software.

I run WinAmp on a full-blown PC in my truck. No offense MJ lovers, but MJ wasn't all it is today at the time I did the install. Besides, I won't be organizing my music while I'm driving.

Here is some more info, in case there are any other car MP3 buffs out there. Well, and I might be a little vain.

dragyn

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2002, 01:53:36 am »

I actually do run MJ because I mainly use ape/apl files for my collection. Plus trying to do a touch screen in winamp (for me) is nearly impossible.

Now with this new Hairstyle for MJ, I'm gonna give it a try. Looks so cool. Could use a few improvements on control but other than that, it works great.

I'm not gonna try it until MJ becomes beta and I'll know my files are safe (I think they are now, just want to be sure).

I run WinAmp on a full-blown PC in my truck. No offense MJ lovers, but MJ wasn't all it is today at the time I did the install. Besides, I won't be organizing my music while I'm driving.

Here is some more info, in case there are any other car MP3 buffs out there. Well, and I might be a little vain.

frostbyte

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2002, 08:00:14 pm »

As per the answer from JimH, I know that I can't access the help files without IE. But like JeffB, I would really like to know whether MJ requires IE to run at all.

Please enlighten us.

:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up