INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limiting smartlist that includes playlist help  (Read 1605 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Limiting smartlist that includes playlist help
« on: January 15, 2006, 04:15:45 am »

Hi!

I saw a discussion about the favorites system earlier, and thought I make a smartlist with 100 toprated songs and a playlist with my current favorites in a playlist. Observe, this has NOTHING to do with the favorites system, it only made me think of this smartlist :)
Right now, in the search string, I have:
(playlistid==42672344) AND ([Media Type]=[Audio] G:\Musik [Rating]==4,5 ~n=100 ~sort=[Random] [Last Played]=>30d)

But this only result in a few songs that are present in both (). I want all songs in the playlist and 100 songs from the other string, so the total amount should be about 150 songs, depending on the number of songs in the playlist.

How to go about this?
Thanks!
/Martin

EpF

Re: Smartlist that includes playlist help
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 04:25:16 am »

(playlistid==42672344) AND ([Media Type]=[Audio] G:\Musik [Rating]==4,5 ~n=100 ~sort=[Random] [Last Played]=>30d)

But this only result in a few songs that are present in both

I think that, by default, smartlists only return files that match all criteria - i.e., you don't need to put the AND there, because MC automatically puts it there for you. However, it means something different to MC than it does to you; to MC, it means that everything in the list must match "playlistid==42672344" and "[Media Type]=[Audio] G:\Musik [Rating]==4,5 ~n=100 ~sort=[Random] [Last Played]=>30d", so you only get tracks that are in both.

If you put 'OR' in the list instead of 'AND', it should work... Keep us posted!

Marty3d

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 05:12:00 am »

Sorry for not mentioning it; I tried OR but it only returned 100 results. So it seems MC interpretated the query as:
"take files from the playlist OR the query, but only return 100 pieces."

Which it shouldn't since the "~n=100" is within parenthesis no.2.

But isn't there another limit modifier other than "~n="? It rings a distant bell somewhere...

Marty3d

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 05:19:35 am »

But isn't there another limit modifier other than "~n="? It rings a distant bell somewhere...

Hm. I thought of ~limit, but it doesn't do what I want...

Marty3d

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 05:27:27 am »

Even if it seems that I'm talking to myself, I do have a workaround for this.

If I create a new smartlist, "[media type]=[audio] playlistid==924548154,=42672344", then it works.
Playlist 1 is a smartlist, "Get 100 tracks from criteria" and playlist 2 is my current favorites. It returns 145 tracks.

But you shouldn't have to do this, would you?

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Limiting smartlist that includes playlist help
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 08:39:27 am »

You must pay attention to the order of your modifiers.

in your example here, you have [last played]=>30d after ~n=100
if ~n=100 returned 100 files that had all been played within the past 30 days, [Last Played]=>30d would remove them all, resulting in an empty list.

in the quick tests I did here, the number of tracks limiter is applied globally regardless of where it appears in the string.

r=5 or playlistid==xxxxxxxxxx returns all 5 rated tracks plus the playlist contents. (r=5 ~n=100) or playlistid==xxxxxxxxx returns only 100 tracks

if that is by design, your workaround isn't a workaround, it's the solution to your problem.

-marko.

Marty3d

Re: Limiting smartlist that includes playlist help
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 11:06:07 am »

Thanks marko!
Well, if it's by design, it's weird. Someone (JRiver, hint hint) should put up an extensive list of modifiers with info like "Limit is a GLOBAL modifier"...

But I'll put it up as a bug, since modifiers should work alike :(
/Martin

Pages: [1]   Go Up