INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XP network (kind of OT)  (Read 1015 times)

khaos100

• Junior Woodchuck
XP network (kind of OT)
« on: September 25, 2002, 08:31:25 am »

I run XP on my main machine and thus have MJ on it.  I rip and analyze gain my CDs on my 2000 box with MJ also since doing so takes up so much cpu utilization and then I transfer from the 2k box to my XP box and import into MJ.

My problem is how darn slow the network is using XP.  I previosly had 2k on this box and had no problems, so there isn't a NIC issue.  I tested transfer between the 2k box and my laptop on the network that also has 2k and it has no speed issues. We are talking a 3 to 3 and a half times longer time to transfer.

I could transfer 8 CDs worth of data from 2k to 2k in 30 minutes. It takes over 90 minutes to do it from 2k to XP.

I've already did the registry tweak for collision timeout suggested by MS and I also knocked the 20% bandwidth reserve for QoS to 0% and still no change.

Does anyone here know why the hell XP is causing such a slow data transfer?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: XP network (kind of OT)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2002, 02:44:18 pm »

I think it IS an NIC issue. See if you have latest XP NIC drivers. Check duplex setting and link speed on the XP machine

Xenno

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2002, 05:53:41 pm »

I've seen cards decide to do 10Mb/second when they were allowed to auto-negotiate.  Forcing them to 100Mb/second worked.  Somewhere in the settings for the card.

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2002, 06:56:43 pm »

Set the Speed\Duplex to 100\Full and see what that does.  I had the same issue with 2 of my XP boxes, I got crappy throughput until I manually set those values.  You'd be surprised at the speed boost that you will get.  Hope this helps!

phatrabt
Pages: [1]   Go Up