INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod problem  (Read 1810 times)

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
iPod problem
« on: January 26, 2006, 04:22:20 pm »

- As soon as i plugin my iPod (Dock/40GB), CPU usage goes up to 100%, and MC hangs. This also happens when the iPod is already plugged in when starting MC.

- ASF video files (all i have - about 20 or so) are imported as Audio only, and thus are unplayable in MC (other players do play these files - WinAmp, WMP, VLC, etc.)

- Maybe not really a bug, but _very_ annoying: some functions are "blocking" MC. By blocking i mean that MC seems to hang for a while, not even refreshing its own window. This happens, for example, when i click on the "Playlists"-entry in the tree (i have a lot of playlists in there). During this state, it's not even possible to minimize or maximize MC's window - MC is shown as "not responding" in task manager. On my "Media Player"-machine (WinXP, P4 2Ghz, 512MB RAM, local library), wait times can be up to ~ four minutes (!). I'm doing a lot of CPU-intensive stuff on this machine (encoding video and audio, image editing with PS, Video editing with Premiere, etc.), and MC is the only software showing this kind of prehistoric behaviour (i remember Win16-apps doing the same).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: iPod problem
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 04:36:20 pm »

- As soon as i plugin my iPod (Dock/40GB), CPU usage goes up to 100%, and MC hangs. This also happens when the iPod is already plugged in when starting MC.
Not normal.  You may be best off to start over.  Choose Redetect Devices in the MC options for Handhelds.  It's under Device Management there.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 04:50:27 pm »

Clicking on the root of playlists should take less than a second, even with a huge library.

Something is wrong.  Uninstall, reboot, reinstall.  Try a fresh library.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 05:59:53 pm »

I'm currently testing, and MC hangs with nearly every iPod-related operation. Even changing  iPod-related settings (which playlists to sync, etc.) hangs MC (!). After a total of about 90 minutes of waiting, i gave up, frustrated.

For testing, i've installed the previous version i was using (11.1.092) over the new one. I even left the iPod docked, and didn't reboot my system. And guess what - no more hanging, synching works perfectly again.

It seems there's nothing wrong with my library, and there's nothing wrong with my iPod, system, or device settings. It's simply a bug in MC, i'd say. Please, please fix this, as i'd very much like to benefit from the recent speed improvements.

Should i re-post my original message in the 11.1.106 thread? I wonder why the msg has been moved to a seperate thread, anyway... ?

Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 06:02:31 pm »

Try starting over, please.  The current version is working well for most people.  Your library may be corrupt.

Kill the ituneshelper.dll from the task manager if it's running.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 06:24:23 pm »

JimH, what exactly do you mean by "starting over"? Did you understand my previous post? I have reverted to an older version of MC, and everything is working fine again, so it seems very illogical to me that the problem is connected to my library. I just did three syncs in a row, and all went fine.

The "ituneshelper.dll" is not active, not even while synching - i don't know that this dll is for, but i never had iTunes installed on any computer (i've been using MC since long before the iPod came out, so there was no need to check out iTunes).

Btw, one small correction: i meant i have a lot of _Smartlists_ (~ 800) in my "Playlists" folder, causing MC to "block". These lists are mainly for the iPod, so i'm also seeing the long wait times before and after the click on "Sync". I'd say that these wait times have halved with MC's speed optimizations in the last few months (and since 11.0), but it still "feels" quite slow.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 06:34:15 pm »

Try MC's options for handhelds.  Use Device Management/Redetect devices and then wait until MC finishes.

If that doesn't work, wipe the ipod with Apple's software and try the same thing.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 07:00:02 pm »

Try a cloned test library without 800 smartlists.  We need to understand what is causing the slowdown to optimize it.  It could be one certain smartlist or an issue with having that many.

Send a library backup to matt @ jriver.com and a step-by-step of what is slow and we'll try the same thing on our end.

Thanks for the help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 04:04:15 am »

Thanks for the clarification, will try this in the next few days (not much time currently). But i have to tell you again, i'm pretty sure this problem is a bug in recent MC versions. The "proof" for my theory is the fact that MC 11.1.092 works perfectly (apart from some waiting time before and after the "Sync"-button-press - i strongly believe this is because of the many smartlists i have).

I'll do some additional testing over the weekend, and then feedback to you. Thanks for the help.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 05:35:54 am »

Quick addition: my last test was to format the iPod, clone my library (for now, keeping the smartlists), and then doing a sync. Result: MC 11.1.106 stops copying after ~ 10GB, "blocks" (not responding to mouse clicks, not doing screen refreshes) and just sits there, using 0% CPU power ( = doing nothing). I've waited for about 45 minutes, which should be enough for even the most demanding calculations (;

Right after that: re-installed 11.1.092, cloned library, formatted iPod, and synched the same smartlists as before. Result: "feels" a bit slower that 11.1.106 (not much), but is working perfectly (all tracks and playlists are on the iPod).
Pages: [1]   Go Up