INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible account holders - How is MC working for you?  (Read 5420 times)

PeterS

Audible account holders - How is MC working for you?
« on: January 26, 2006, 05:40:05 pm »

Build 11.1.106 and higher.

Is MC working well with your Audible account? You should be able to:

~ Browse the Audible store without leaving MC.
~ Search the Audible.com catalog through the MC search bar.
~ Download Audible files directly to your PC. They will auto import into your Media Library.
~ Play Audible files from your PC and home theater (if connected).
~ Transfer Audible files to your iPod or favorite PlaysForSure™ handheld device.
~ Stream Audible files to your TiVo® series2™

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

PeterS

CDvd

• World Citizen
Re: Audible account holders - How is MC working for you?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 11:07:33 pm »

wow that seems well integrated!

On first import of an audible file mc ask for login and password. It plays fine, MC resume where you left and all vis are working perfectly.

Analysing an audible file is very slow (probably normal since the one I tested was 8 hours long) ... Correction : it doesn't work here (first time went to 85% aand stoped, now it does not start (0%))

What a pity that my acount to audible.fr don't work...
Are you planning to connect to different stores? (like the french one)

A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

PeterS

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 09:31:03 am »

Thanks for the info. We'll take a look at the analysing issue.

Right now we are working with the US store only, but we will look at the feasibility of rolling out other stores.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 12:19:44 pm »

Currently, whenever I click on the audible service within Media Center, the first page I get is an audible error page saying, "Error We're sorry. You are not eligible for this offer."

I have a premiumListener account. I am recognised and logged in by the page and i can see my credits, but i cant see my library, wishlist etc.
It's like it logs me in, but treats me like a guest.

So then I click on the audible.com graphic in top left and it finally takes me to the main page. I use the search feature in Media center (works nicely) and find a philip k dick book, add it to my next listen, and then re-prioritise it so that it moves to the top of that list.

From here on in things go downhill:
I click on pay now, and see that it hasnt recognised the reprioritzed list. The previous most prioritized books are there instead. I go back to my next listen and try again, selecting the philip k dick book, and add to cart.

So now i have the previous 2 books in the cart plus my philip k dick one. So i remove the one i dont want (jazz 101), and the page updates. I click on go to check out, and then confirm the sale, but it only uses one of my credits and deducts $18 from my credit card for the the other book?!??

So I go back to my wishlist, which is still showing books that i just bought (plus has put the philip k dick book back down as the last priority).

At this point, I get frustrated and give up. There are some major issues with information being refreshed on this site. I wasnt using the back button. I always clicked on a link to take me where i wanted to go.

I did all of this in Media center so I dont know if it would be the same in a standalone browser.

Sorry to make this so long.

Thanks.

PeterS

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 03:26:05 pm »

park,
Are you in the US and a member of Audible USA?

Please try with a separate browser to check if the problems are site related and not issues with MC. Thanks.

scub

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 09:25:08 pm »

Audible intergration is working great for me.  I get the same start page that park gets but easy enough to get back on track.  Opening a sepearte IE window works correctly and does not open the not eligible page.

Here is the page MC seems to be taking me too:
http://www.audible.com/adbl/entry/offers/mbr.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

And IE:
http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/homepage/home.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Multiple downloads work well and playing Audible files from multiple accounts works flawlessly.  Upload to ipod, bookmarks, auto tagging of the files all seem to be working.  One suggestion would be to populate the "Content Distributor" field.  This field used to populate when I downloaded Audible titles but no longer does.  This field is read-only so I can't update it.  MC has replaced AudibleManager for my Audbile management needs.

Thanks.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: How is MC working for you? -- Can default aa location be changed?
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 02:53:13 am »

I haven't tried 11.1 with my Audible files yet, but I was wondering if the latest version of 11.1 allows us to edit/select the default location for Audible files when downloading them via MC.  With 11.0, aa files are initially saved in a specific folder (My Documents/My Music/) whose location cannot be changed.  This requires me to move every Audible file I download (via MC) since I want ALL my audio files (mp3s, wavs, and aa files) in my "Audio Library" folder on another drive.  It would be much easier if I was able to define MY preferred default location for Audible downloads.

Does 11.1 allow the default location of aa files to be defined by the user in the same way that the default location MP3 files ripped from CDs can be defined?  This is one of the few things that has been holding me back from using MC for my Audible downloads.

Thanks,

Larry

PeterS

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 12:22:49 pm »

Larry,

Right now there is no automatic, user-defined download path for Audible files. We will look at that as an option, but it won't make it into the release of 11.1

In response to another question you posed on an Audible related thread, we are working at getting Audible file metadata in the same way that Audible Manager does (narrator info, book overview etc.).

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 06:11:35 pm »

Thanks for the response.

Right now there is no automatic, user-defined download path for Audible files. We will look at that as an option, but it won't make it into the release of 11.1

You said there is no "automatic" way of doing this.  Is there perhaps some configuration file that I could "manually" edit?  If not, is the only option to move the aa files manually after downloading them?  Is this really not something that might be addressed in a later update of 11.1?  I actually brought this issue up back when 11.0 was relatively new.

In response to another question you posed on an Audible related thread, we are working at getting Audible file metadata in the same way that Audible Manager does (narrator info, book overview etc.).

Thanks.  I believe that these two issues are the only things preventing me from switching to MC for downloading audible files.

Larry

jimn

• World Citizen
  • You are getting sleepy...very sleepy...
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 12:20:54 pm »

For those who get an 'not eligible for this offer' error page;
 it appears to happen for users who opened an Audible account independent of MC (JRiver users get 3 free titles for signing up). We are working with Audible in trying to get this cleared up.

It appears to correct itself if the user logs out, and then logs in again (while in MC). If anyone here trys this, please post what happens to you (ie any funny behavior). This would help us a lot.

Thanks,
JimN

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 10:02:16 pm »

I have audbile titles from two different users (Me and my wife have both had accounts over the years).  I can access the audible titles for my username (prompted me the first time I tried to access one), but all of her files simply don't play...

-John

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 12:36:32 am »

I have audbile titles from two different users (Me and my wife have both had accounts over the years).  I can access the audible titles for my username (prompted me the first time I tried to access one), but all of her files simply don't play...

-John

Each system has to be "authorized" for each user.  I can't give you the exact steps how to do this off the top of my head, but I know that you can authorize a total of 4 systems with each license, after which you have to "deauthorize" a system before another one can be authorized.  This is why it's important to remember to deauthorize a system when you re-format it or switch to a new system.

On a side note relating to the original question in this thread, the current build (124) cannot play Audible files over Media Server.  J River is currently looking into this.

Larry

skeeterfood

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 01:01:22 pm »

Yeah, I understand the authorization thing, but it seems that MediaCenter doesn't request authorization for Audible files it's not already authorized to play once it has authorized a single user.

Here's exactly what happened:
I had AudibleManager installed and working for all the files, but MediaCenter wouldn't play them (I don't know why), so I decided to go for broke and deauthorized everything for all users and uninstalled AudibleManager.  I then installed the latest MediaCenter and the first Audible file I tried to play requested authorization (yippee).  I entered the appropriate username/password combo for that file and now all files purchased with that username work fine.  However, if I try to play a file purchased under another username, it silently fails to play, with no error shown until I try to play a few of the files on after another (not sure of the exact trigger point).  It seems like MC should have prompted me for authorization, or at least told me it could only play files for a single Audible.com username, instead of silently failing to play the files...

I also tried logging into Audible.com through MC using one of the usenames whose files won't play in MC and downloading a previously purchased book.  The file downloaded fine (Much nicer than AudibleManager I might add), but again silently failed to play.

Is there a way to deauthorize a specific Audible username through MC, so I could at least switch back and forth?

-John

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 04:35:20 pm »

It seems like MC should have prompted me for authorization, or at least told me it could only play files for a single Audible.com username, instead of silently failing to play the files...

I think the best way to work would be to always ask about aa files that a system was not currently authorized to play.  This may actually be how it "used" to work since I just checked, and one of my systems IS licensed to use 2 different Audible accounts -- i.e. I can play files from either account through MC11.1 and they all play fine.

One thing you might try is playing one of the "other" audible files (the ones that won't play) with Windows Media Player and see if it asks for authorization.  Perhaps it's just an MC bug, and WMP will ask you for the password.  My thinking is that if this works, it will allow you to "authorize" the system for the second account, after which the files should play in MC as well.  As I said, I CAN currently play files from two different accounts via MC11.1, but this system was authorized for both accounts while I was still using version 10 of MC.

Another thing to try would be to install Audible Manager again and see if you can authorize the system through that program.  You might be able to uninstall AM again at that point, or you could just leave it installed and not use it.

Please let us know what happens as this will effect me at some point in the future when I have to re-authorize one of my systems for two accounts.

Larry

skeeterfood

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 05:03:40 pm »

Shameless bump to see if Peter is paying attention...

-John

PeterS

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 09:35:08 am »

Hi folks,
Any updates in this area?

LanceD

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 01:21:30 am »

I'm using the trial version of 11.1.187 with a Creative Zen Xtra. I installed the new (pfs) firmware on the Zen. I can download and listen to Audible books with no problem. When I try to transfer them to my Zen, I'm asked for my username and password to activate the device. When I provide them, I get a message box saying "failed to set Audible activation data to the device. Error 0x80004005". 

I called Audible to ask if I was at my device limit. He told me "nope... looks like you've got a while before you have to worry about that". I'm not sure I trust his competence though. He told me that their software was encrypted and I wouldn't be able to use another program to listen to, or transfer Audible files. When I told him that there were plenty of people on this forum who didn't seem to be having a problem, he said that was impossible (some tech support)...

Anyway...Zen Xtra...11.1.187....failed to activate.... Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 09:43:54 am »

The Audible support person is wrong about at least some of that.  MC plays Audible files and can transfer to some devices.

We're still working on some devices and the changes are in the next version of MC (12.0).  It may be available in beta sometime in the next few weeks.

Try activating the device with the Audible software first and then running MC.

LanceD

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 10:58:00 am »

Thanks Jim!

I tried activating it with the Audible player, then downloading to it from MC. Didn't work. I'm looking forward to trying it with v12.

dengle

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 06:16:24 pm »

Is there a way to set the audible download directory like you can on Podcasts?  I've been looking all over the program and this forum for a couple of hours now.  Sorry if this is obvious, but I sure have missed it if it is there.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 04:29:01 am »

Is there a way to set the audible download directory like you can on Podcasts?  I've been looking all over the program and this forum for a couple of hours now.  Sorry if this is obvious, but I sure have missed it if it is there.

I actaully asked the same question earlier in this same thread, i.e:

I was wondering if the latest version of 11.1 allows us to edit/select the default location for Audible files when downloading them via MC.

Here was the response:

At the moment, after each new Audible download I use the "rename file from properties" feature to rename the "path" for these files, which moves them to my main "Audio Library" folder and organizes them by Author (i.e. Artist) / Album (i.e. book).  As noted, it would be easier if we could set this as you can with Podcasts or CD rips.

Larry

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 07:11:35 pm »

I concur about the problem of Audible with my Creative Zen Vision:M.  Audible Manager seems to activate the device (it transfers working files to it) even though my device list on the Audible site doesn't show it.

The support person told me that I was allowed to activate 3 of each device type!  I asked her to clarify and she told me I could activate 3 different Apple devices, 3 different Creative devices, etc. for each type of device they support.  I said you sure its not 3 total, she said no, I said maybe 3 types of devices like my Sonos, an MP3 player like my iPod Nano OR Creative Zen, and a GPS device, she said no, her document said 3 of each brand.

Anyway, can't wait for MC11 or MC12 to support this functionality, I love it with my Nano, I hate using Audible Manager...

G
Pages: [1]   Go Up