Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Piracy  (Read 2313 times)

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
Piracy
« on: September 23, 2002, 04:26:19 pm »

I didn't buy MJ yet (4 days left in my trial period), but I probably will. Honestly, I do not understand the fight about the registration policy. What is the problem about recovering a registration key? 10 recoveries per year is much more anyone will need (under normal and honest use). If someone restores the system more than 10 times per year (almost one per month), he does not need to buy MJ. He can work with the trial version!

The only reason for suspicious I can think is What if JRiver disappears. And this could be a honest fear for a possible customer. In order to tranquilize this people, JRiver could promise that if JRiver disappears, a last MJ will be build and free distributed (without limitations) to registered users.

I do not know if this kind of compromise could be included in the EULA.

I am curious. Do you really prevent piracy with your actual registration policy?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Piracy
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 04:34:42 pm »

I am curious. Do you really prevent piracy with your actual registration policy? Do exists many cracked versions of Media Jukebox? If so, Do you know how many people are using them? Are you able to “disable” that copies?  

Polonio,
Thank you for saying you expect to buy MJ.  Yes, piracy is a very big problem for us.  There are more than 10 times the people trying to use a crack than buying MJ.

MJ will not die.

Jim

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 05:13:27 pm »

The only problem I can forsee with my keys is that while testing the 9.0 version .. we constantly have the uninstall/reinstall ... so, I've already used 3 of my restores on my key in only a month ...

Im assuming the key files only last 1-2 weeks ... (since they eventually say they are too old to register with) ...

Should I just avoid the registration while experimenting with the 9.0 version ? Will I be losing any capabilities by working with an unregistered beta ?

Just curious ... Im not too worried about it ... (Once you guys get the database figured out, we're not supposed to be going through the whole uninstall/install with each new version .. ) ...

Keep up the great work on a superior product!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2002, 05:38:46 pm »

Don't uninstall.  

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 06:57:18 pm »

JimH>MJ will not die.

One of my customers had a vibrant company.  Then the owner/CEO had a fatal heart attack.  The company was gone within 6 months.  I presume your very strong statement has taken this into consdieration.  If it's none of my business, so be it.

Scronch
Expecting "You're right, Scronch, it's none of your business."

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 10:36:49 pm »

Scronch, well I would not have been the one to say that but i would point out a similar scenario...

I beta tested TheaterTek DVD SW with Andrew Chilvers a one man outfit who partners with immersive... Its DVD SW especially designed for front projectors and is a very nice product...

Andrew knows that his target audience is tiny compared to WinDVD et al and also he has a pretty restrictive agreement with Ravisent (the provider of the filters) which disallows him to allow a trial download...

Because of these 2 factors Andrew knew that if the product ended up on the usual suspects sites it would kill the product... Due to this he has a pretty strick soflock / registration process that works on unique codes and an online reg.

He has taken a huge amount of flack on this... repeatedly and with way too much venom IMHO but this is the choice he made to protect himself against loss of investment and company...

He has publically said a few times that if he ever had to close his doors he would release a non online registered version to all regged users for free so that they were never locked out of something he had purchased. Seemed fair to me...

Recently someone asked 'Well what if Andrew hgets hit by a car' my initial reaction was 'you cold hearted son of a person' !!! but then I know and like Andrew and my first thought if I heard he passed on would not be the trivial cost of a piece of SW that I may lose... That said most people dont have a relationship with Andrew any further than the standard customer / supplier and after thinking I guess it was a valid question... TheaterTek is a one man operation and those are the kind of things that no one plans for (did I make a roll outable version of my SW that my next of kin can release onto the internet in the avent of my death, is not a common thought !!!)....

That has no real bearing on MJ which has a team of developers etc but it struck a chord with this situation above...

Long Life and Good Health to all !!    
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2002, 10:53:02 pm »

Heaven forbid that Jim would leave us that suddenly, but if it were to happen, I think the JRiver staff would quickly become overloaded with taking all those trips and doing all that sailing.  ;D

Scronch

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2002, 05:44:56 am »

Scronch,
If you guarantee us $25 a year after you die, I'll guarantee a new release once a year.   :P

The rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Jim

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2002, 08:15:59 am »

What will become of my Media Jukebox license if JRiver falls to a band of savages in a coup d'etat?  Wisconsin is only 50 miles away  ;D
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Nick_LeFave

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MJ is the epitome of what a media player should be!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2002, 10:21:12 am »

What will become of my Media Jukebox license if JRiver falls to a band of savages in a coup d'etat?  Wisconsin is only 50 miles away  ;D

You should be more afraid of Iowans. If they can find their way to the Maul Of America, then they might be able to find you. Hmm, date planner says annual pilgrimage to Maul Of America coming up...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2002, 10:46:19 am »

Iowa  Fishermen in Minnesota   ;)

Two Iowans went up to Minnesota to go ice fishing one January.  When they returned, a friend in the bar said, "So how was that fishing anyhow?"

"Oh, not so bad, but by the time we had the hole big enough to put the boat in, there wasn't much time for fishing."  

"Say, did you hear about the guy from Iowa who was killed ice fishing?"

"No.  Really?"

"Yeah, he was run over by the Zamboni*."

:D

* http://www.zamboni.com/machines/model440.html

Nick_LeFave

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MJ is the epitome of what a media player should be!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2002, 11:31:07 am »

Iowa  Fishermen in Minnesota   ;)

Two Iowans went up to Minnesota to go ice fishing one January.  When they returned, a friend in the bar said, "So how was that fishing anyhow?"

"Oh, not so bad, but by the time we had the hole big enough to put the boat in, there wasn't much time for fishing."  

"Say, did you hear about the guy from Iowa who was killed ice fishing?"

"No.  Really?"

"Yeah, he was run over by the Zamboni*."

:D

* http://www.zamboni.com/machines/model440.html

Hehehe ;D

We have ice hockey down here. I don't know why, but we do.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2002, 11:46:53 am »

>> The rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated.
I guess they think you have one foot in and one foot out

Maybe you should show them your vacation pictures again?

anyone who can walk up pikes peak everyday may have a few more days under there belt than what they are giving you.

Besides i do not have a black sute
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2002, 12:09:28 pm »

Q: Why doesn't Iowa have an NFL team?
A: Because then Minnesota would want one, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up