INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linksys Wireless G Music Bridge (WMB54G) works with MC  (Read 4306 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Linksys Wireless G Music Bridge (WMB54G) works with MC
« on: February 10, 2006, 01:47:20 pm »

Last weekend I bought a Linksys Wireless G Music Bridge to try it.  It's wireless or wired.  On the back it has RCA, digital out, and 1/8 inch stereo jacks.  So you can plug it into the back of your home theater or you can plug headphones into it.

When you install software on your PC, it finds the device on your network and asks you if you want to connect to it.  If you do, whatever you're playing in MC goes out onto your network to the device and it plays through your home theater or whatever it's connected to. 

Very neat and worked perfectly for me.  Recommended.  Around $90.

Product information:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1137451822026%26site%3DUS&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

MusicHawk

Re: Linksys Wireless G Music Bridge (WMB54G) works with MC
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 11:34:23 am »

Based on your post, I bought a Linksys WMB54G Wireless Music Bridge. It works, sort of, with my MC 11.

What happens is peculiar: MC's output can't be switched  on-the-fly by the Music Bridge utility, even though this is how WMB is supposed to work, and  other audio can be switched this way. It seems that MC locks onto whatever audio driver is active when MC is started.

The Music Bridge utility provides buttons to control where the audio goes -- to the WMB device (which is connected to my stereo amp across the room) or to the PC's local speakers. It does this by switching the active audio driver (confirmed by examining the PC's audio properties before and after using the utility to switch).

The problem is that MC's output doesn't get switched. I can dynamically switch other audio, such as the various sound effects used by Windows, to either the local PC's speakers or the remote WMB. But MC 11 goes ONLY to the audio driver that was active when MC was started. MC 11 doesn't  follow Windows when the audio driver is changed on-the-fly.

I experimented with the MC's Audio > Output mode and settings, but they seem to have no effect. I assume that MC should be set to Device "wave mapper" to let Windows control which driver is used, but whether I use "wave mapper" or directly select either the PC or WMB audio driver, MC doesn't switch on-the-fly. 

The only way I can find to use MC with WMB54G is to select the desired audio output destination BEFORE starting MC. This defeats one of the cool features, which is to be able to do some temp MC work locally (preview some tunes then build a Playing Now list) before switching to "broadcast" it to the stereo in the living room or wherever, without then restarting MC, reloading the Library, etc.

Ideas?

-- John
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

kkassen

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 10:33:51 pm »

Just purchased the Linksys WMB54G myself, and it works perfectly.  Just remember that it takes over your PC speakers when you connect to the device.  This is perfect for the person that does not need to hear the line output of your sound card.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 02:41:04 pm »

Based on your post, I bought a Linksys WMB54G Wireless Music Bridge. It works, sort of, with my MC 11.

What happens is peculiar: MC's output can't be switched  on-the-fly by the Music Bridge utility, even though this is how WMB is supposed to work, and  other audio can be switched this way. It seems that MC locks onto whatever audio driver is active when MC is started.

The Music Bridge utility provides buttons to control where the audio goes -- to the WMB device (which is connected to my stereo amp across the room) or to the PC's local speakers. It does this by switching the active audio driver (confirmed by examining the PC's audio properties before and after using the utility to switch).

The problem is that MC's output doesn't get switched. I can dynamically switch other audio, such as the various sound effects used by Windows, to either the local PC's speakers or the remote WMB. But MC 11 goes ONLY to the audio driver that was active when MC was started. MC 11 doesn't  follow Windows when the audio driver is changed on-the-fly.

I experimented with the MC's Audio > Output mode and settings, but they seem to have no effect. I assume that MC should be set to Device "wave mapper" to let Windows control which driver is used, but whether I use "wave mapper" or directly select either the PC or WMB audio driver, MC doesn't switch on-the-fly. 

The only way I can find to use MC with WMB54G is to select the desired audio output destination BEFORE starting MC. This defeats one of the cool features, which is to be able to do some temp MC work locally (preview some tunes then build a Playing Now list) before switching to "broadcast" it to the stereo in the living room or wherever, without then restarting MC, reloading the Library, etc.

Ideas?

-- John

It would deffinetly be nice if this was looked into...

Toggling zones doesn't work for me.  I have to restart MC everytime. :P
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 03:22:26 pm »

finished the set up on WMB54G and set up a two zones on MC Zone 1 is for WMB and Zone 2 is for my M-Audio card. My computer is in one room so I can play different music in both rooms or I can synchronize both Zones so that I can play the same music in both rooms. Thanks JRiver never used Zones before but now this is like having an extra jukebox in two different rooms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up