INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *Suggestion* Remote Software  (Read 2032 times)

TB2

• Recent member
*Suggestion* Remote Software
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:51:46 pm »

Hi,

I'm using MC for quite a while now, but I'm missing a remote control software. Something like WAWI for Winamp (http://www.flippet.org/wawi/), a tool, that allows me to control the MC on my server from my lap top, so I can browse the songs on the client MC, and have the output on the server. Actually it would be exactly "Media Server" but without playing the chosen Songs on the client, but directly on the server. That would be great.

Thx,
TB2

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: *Suggestion* Remote Software
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 02:10:31 pm »

Media Center comes with that as standard.
Take a look at this post here

TB2

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 02:44:57 pm »

Oh, that's nice!

A Pity that it isn't a full Interface (with position bar etc.) but it's still nice. Uhm, and do I get it right, this thing isn't password protected???

thx!

SomeOneWho

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 04:55:03 pm »

For true remote control of the server machine you might want to check out VNC at http:\\www.realvnc.com.  It's free, works very reliably, and you can password-protect access to the machine.

I use it to manage the media server in the basement from any of the other three machines in the house.  Beats running up and down the stairs!

Good luck...

TB2

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 07:02:48 pm »

Yeah I know realvnc, it's a nice tool, but I thought maybe theres a stand alone product for MC.

I still hold the suggestion to implement the option for Media Server to output the music on the server instead of the client, and I dont think there is much to change for that, because evereything is done allready...

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 07:58:12 pm »

Media Center comes with that as standard.
Take a look at this post here

It may just be me, but in the recent later beta builds of 11.1.xxx I have been getting crashes when I use this feature to control my music playing machine remotely via a web browser.  Originally I was getting crashes when trying to play .dts files and changing tracks.  I am now getting similar crashes on regular .mp3 and .wma files too.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 08:12:10 pm »

Please take a very careful look at this thread on crashes and other oddities:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 09:22:50 pm »

Please take a very careful look at this thread on crashes and other oddities:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

I was not having the crash problems until recent builds of MC 11.1.  However, I did review the wierd hall of fame.  I found that my network cards WERE set to goto power save mode.  So I have turned that feature off and will see if it makes a difference.

The rest of the hall of shame did not seem to apply to me.

By the way, I use realvnc all the time to control my HTPC machine that has MC 11.1 installed on it.  I often connect to the machine via VNC to restart MC after it has crashed from the remote server problem that I have been having of late.

dag-inge

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 01:38:58 am »

try NetRemote (www.promixis.com). I'm very happy with it.

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 09:05:09 am »

I was not having the crash problems until recent builds of MC 11.1.  However, I did review the wierd hall of fame.  I found that my network cards WERE set to goto power save mode.  So I have turned that feature off and will see if it makes a difference.

The rest of the hall of shame did not seem to apply to me.

By the way, I use realvnc all the time to control my HTPC machine that has MC 11.1 installed on it.  I often connect to the machine via VNC to restart MC after it has crashed from the remote server problem that I have been having of late.

turning off power managment on network interfaces now prevents my file server from "wake on LAN" so it will not wake up on net activity when I try and play my music files off of it.

so I had to turn powermanagment back on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up