INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Videofile jerking  (Read 1478 times)

LeoKurz

• Recent member
Videofile jerking
« on: March 05, 2006, 12:39:44 pm »

Hi,

I have video files (.mpg) sitting on my hard disk (recorded from TV). When I watch them in MC or Windows Media Player, they are juddering. When I watch them with PowerDVD or Nero Showtime on the same computer, the film is fine. I guess, the other players use a different codec? Can anyone help me? I'd like to watch the films using MC, but the jerking is verry annoying.

__Leo

JONCAT

Re: Videofile jerking
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 09:21:48 pm »

I had this same problem the other day while using FFDSHOW and not the Windows Media Player engine; although it did occur using that as well. This started out of the blue the other day, but may be related to an FFDSHOW/MC crashthat Iposted about in another thread. I re-install FFDSHOW and everything works again.

Dr. C

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 08:32:20 am »

Dr. Cilantro is using the 64 bit version of Windows XP (rare so far), which may have problems of its own.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 08:54:50 am »

Hi,

I have video files (.mpg) sitting on my hard disk (recorded from TV). When I watch them in MC or Windows Media Player, they are juddering. When I watch them with PowerDVD or Nero Showtime on the same computer, the film is fine. I guess, the other players use a different codec? Can anyone help me? I'd like to watch the films using MC, but the jerking is verry annoying.

I have seen a situation in which video recorded from ATI HDTV Wonder device can only be played in ATI's player. I think the problem is indeed that of choosing decoder filters. Media Center video playback does not allow users to choose decoder filters. This may be changed in future versions.

Installing FFDShow may help.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 09:50:44 am »

That's it. All the files WERE HDTV avi's! As soon as I re-installed FFDSHOWeverything was fine.

If using FFDSHOW should we also use the Windows Media Player engine when possible? After a week of ffdshow running I usually start crashing MC as it loads multiple instances of ffdshow. Works great for a week then ..splat. Otherwise DVD's and video playback great with MC 11.1.......on my x64 system. ;D

Dr. C

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 10:11:20 am »

Is ffdshow up to date?  Did you try a google search for similar problems?

JONCAT

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 10:12:54 am »

That's a good idea, I'll double-check.

thanks,
Dr. C

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 01:17:19 pm »

If using FFDSHOW should we also use the Windows Media Player engine when possible?

Probably yes.
In the current version there is not any advantage not using Window Media Player engine. Most likely WMP uses the same set of DirectShow filters to render videos. If using it can avoid crashes, why not!
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 04:54:12 pm »

I'll experiment with both and check what happens; asked just in case there was a definitive answer floating arond because I can't remember which way I have configured things and thus crashed MC.

I don't know what the implications are of a week of normal operation and a sudden crash that requires a re-install of FFDshow.

Dr. C
Pages: [1]   Go Up