INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: acquire image in MediaCenter quit working  (Read 1697 times)

Richee

• World Citizen
acquire image in MediaCenter quit working
« on: March 07, 2006, 10:16:45 pm »

:-\
I don't know when this happened but my scanner hangs when I try to scan an image within MediaCenter. It is the only program that doesn't work so I find it hard to believe the problem is caused by the scanner driver or software.

Is there any way I can track down the problem. I first noticed it after I installed the 11.1.139 version but I can't recall the last time I tried to scan an image.

I tried install at least back to version 121 with the same problem. I also uninstalled MediaCenter and deleted the JRiver folders in the registry. I then installed version 135 and same problem. I'm at a loss.

My scanner is an Epson Perfection1650.  I can get a rough scan if I use Tools/acquire but if I right click on a sound file and select Image/get from scanner it just hangs and windows task manager shows MediaCenter using 99% CPU.

Richee

• World Citizen
Re: acquire image in MediaCenter quit working
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 10:56:25 pm »

Well it appears the scanner function is broken. In addition to my previous post I have since reformated and did a fresh install of XP. The only programs added to the XP service pack 2 are drivers for my Revo sound card, epson scanner twain driver and software and Media Center 11.1.143.

The problem is the same when I try to scan art to files. Scanner software won't even run most of the time and CPU for Media Center is at 99%. When I can get the scanner to pop up, if I go in to manual mode I can do a preview but not a scan. When I hit scan the scan light on the scanner just flashes on and off.

Does anyone have an Epson Perfection 1650 photo that works with Media Center ver 143? What scanners are you all using that works?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 07:06:54 am »

Did you try "select scanner"?  Maybe it's more than one device now.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 08:42:09 am »

I have an Epson perfection 1670 and it's working just fine with 143 and image > get from scanner.

Tip:
Open "My Computer" and check to see that the scanner is listed...

If it's not there, that's your problem. Simply unplug the scanner and plug it in again and all should be good once more.

Richee

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 12:22:28 pm »

I have tried the select scanner numerous times. Sometimes it even works. When it does it only shows Epson Twain 5. If I select Acquire from the drop down menu I can select either Epson Perfection 1650 or generic. Neither of them work now.

My scanner does show in My Computer. That is not the problem. I try to be very logical as to why something stops working but apparently logic doesn't work when computers are involved.

My scanner works with all other software on my computer which is about 5 graphics programs. In these programs I can select either Epson Twain 5 or WIA-Epson Perfection 1650 which is the windows built in scanner process.

Media Center is different. In Select scanner only Epson Twain 5 shows. Most of the time the window won't even pop open and the program freezes.

What could possibly be conflicting with media center and the scanner process but not conflict with 5 other programs. This leads me to believe that Media Centers communication with the scanner is somehow different than these other programs.

I have a seies of system backups from the last time I had to reformat so I restored all the way to my first back up and the problem persisted.

I then reformated, installed fresh copy of XP home, scanner software and driver and Media Cener 143 version. Same problem with Media Center.
Am I wrong in thinking that Media Center is the common denominator?

The really dumb thing is that it used to work. I first noticed it after I updated to version 141 however I can't say for sure the last time I scanned something in with Media Center. Now, I can't get any version of 11.1 to work.
I was going to try an 11.0 version but they show as timed out. I did install version 10 alongside 11 once and it had the same problem as well.

Thanks for the suggestions but I suspect it isn't going to anything as simple as the scanner not being plugged in. If a reformat and fresh install doesn't work what could possibly be the problem?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 01:12:37 pm »

No-one suggested the scanner was not plugged in.

It is not unknown for windows to lose contact with the device, despite it being plugged in, connected and switched on.
Had this happened, then the device would not show in 'My Computer'

You say yours is there, so that is not a problem.

We have different drivers for our scanners. When I right click my scanner entry in My Computer and choose 'properties', I get a dialogue with a diagnostics button on it. Do you have that too?

Things that could cause you problems are:

Incomplete scanner driver installation
USB port/driver problems/conflicts (are you using USB or parallell for connecting?)

The current drivers for your scanner are Epson Twain v5.7f. Are you using these drivers?

After installing XP home, did you update it to service pack 2? (or is it already slipstreamed onto your install disc?)

v11.1 has been around for quite some time now, the first alpha's appearing around September '05
from your post above, you indicate that you were experiencing these problems with v10 also, so, when you say "it used to work" we're not talking about something that used to work last week, and now doesn't, we're talking much more long-term than that. Did I understand this correctly?

Did you check the FAQ's on the epson website?

You don't say if you tried or not since reinstalling windows; try opening MS Paint, click file, then get from scanner or camera. does that work?

Richee

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 04:33:33 pm »

Marko, I really appreciate your suggestions and the comment about an unplugged scanner wasn't directed at you. And I do realize you have no idea what I have or haven't tried. I have unplugged and plugged in many times with no change.

In response to your questions:

I would guess the the 1670 and 1650 scanner software are similar if not the same. Yes I have the same test if I select my scanner properties and it says it is communicating. Also remember that I am able to use the scanner in Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop Elements 4, Corel Painter Essentials, Epson Smart Panel, Paint  and Arcsoft Impressions(part of Epson software).

I am using the Twain 5.71 driver and no change.

I had a slipstreamed SP2 home xp cd that I used.

I tried Media Center along side version 11.143 and it did the same thing. Only thing I can think of is do another reformat and install version 10 first to see if it works.

Yes I looked at the FAQ at Epson and they are useless. I have also found that there is a special order to installing Epson scanner software. Example: Install Twain then plug in scanner, then install other software. Otherwise their installer likes to stall.

It appears the only software I have that cannot scan an image is Media Center. Most of the time when I select Get From Scanner it does nothing, but sometimes the Epson Twain software starts and if I have it in manual mode I can get it to preview but selecting Scan just makes the scan button light go off and back on. Normally what happens with other software is the scanner button light goes off and a window pops up saying scanning in progress.

I even thought about maybe getting rid of the epson and finding a scanner more user friendly but I don't want to spend a 11 bucks and possibly have the same problem.

Is there any way I can dump a file of everything is doing from the time I select Get From Scanner to to hitting the Scan button in the Epson software. And then send that to Jim or someone who knows what it means?

And the Epson is usb only and I have tried different ports.
Pages: [1]   Go Up