INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sprint PPC with MC 11.1  (Read 4286 times)

aatreya

• World Citizen
Sprint PPC with MC 11.1
« on: February 27, 2006, 11:44:12 pm »

Hi, I'm having a small problem.  I'm trying to sync a selected playlist with my Sprint PPC-6700 phone's mini-sd card, and each time the device is disconnected and reconnected, MC fails to recognize that the songs just synced to the device correspond to songs in the desktop library, and thus tries to sync again.  Any ideas?
Thanks.
-- Anand

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Sprint PPC with MC 11.1
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 02:12:19 pm »

Does the device get detected automatically (meaning it's a WMDM device), or did you add it manually in Options > Handheld > Add device?

It's possible that the device doesn't support the metadata XML database that MC is trying to save to it.  Sometimes telling the device to use a different root or database path in handheld options can fix this.

Does anyone else have a set of settings that work properly?  If so, we can add them to the PDT so it's automatic for future users.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 11:00:48 pm »

It was detected automatically when I inserted the device (Actually two parts were detected - the flash on the device itself, and the storage card, and I only told MC to consider the storage card as a device).  I'll see if I can try to move the database folder or something (that's the right thing to play with, right)?

Thanks.
-- Anand

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 11:56:18 pm »

Doesn't seem like it's even creating a database folder on the device - I tried specifying a specific path (Music path is Music\, Database path is Database\, and only the music folder is created).  Any more ideas?  I'm using windows mobile 5 with Activesync 4.1, if that's any help.  Let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks.
-- Anand

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 05:16:12 pm »

Hi,
I'm still unable to get a simple sync to the storage card of my device to work properly.

I've encountered the following issues:

When syncing, the process completes successfully at first.  However, when the phone is disconnected and then later reconnected (after any period of time), as long as MC has not been closed, MC will fail to recognize the device and will prevent ActiveSync from syncing with the device at all (ActiveSync just sits in the system tray looking like its syncing, but never actually completes, and won't respond to mouse commands like opening the program until MC is closed).

When the device has been re-recognized by MC (which, again, has to be triggered by restarting MC, none of the files that had been added by MC in the previous sync are recognized as files from my media library.

Finally, When syncing to the device itself (rather than the storage card), MC correctly reports that 10 mb of space is free, but when trying to sync a 4mb file, it says there's not enough space.

Please let me know if you have any fixes or ideas.
Thanks.

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 11:57:15 pm »

About 1/10 of the files I'm trying to sync to my pocket pc fail with "error."  How do I get more details about this?  The files aren't consistent in their errors either - if I try the sync again then different files have problems and the previous errored files work fine...

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 05:12:32 pm »

Any ideas?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 05:49:18 pm »

I contacted Sprint but got no answer.  It's possible their WMDM support isn't fully up to snuff.  Without the device, it's hard to know for certain.

Any other users of Windows Mobile 5 have any tips?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 05:57:47 pm »

Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 07:44:27 pm »

I don't really think the device type is really significant - all that should really be important is Activesync and windows mobile 5.  If it's something specific to the device than that's my issue, but I kind of doubt that's the case.

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 07:54:41 pm »

You're not being impolite, but could you provide more details?

Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

Well basically, each time I sync with my Sprint/Audiovox/HTC PPC-6700 PDA-Phone (windows mobile 5), about 1/10 of the files show "Error" in the Status column after supposedly trying to sync.  It doesn't give me any more info on what the error is.  I tried mousing over it and right clicking on it, but got no more information.  What's strange is that different files fail if I try the sync again.

My system info is here:
Media Center Registered 11.1.141 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2085 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 94 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: _NEC    DVD_RW ND-2510A   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F: SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-816B   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-2510A    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:32  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 08:12:41 pm »

Matt commented that it could be a shaky implementation of WMDM.  I don't know what else it might be.

Can you drag and drop files to it?

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 01:43:31 am »

Hm, I have a WM5 device, but I take the card out and put it in a card reader cos it's just too slow otherwise.

Not that helpful a response, I guess, unless you want to do the same...

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 09:24:55 am »

Yep - drag and drop works fine.  What does WMDM do?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 09:41:12 am »

It's Windows Media Device Manager.  Microsoft's way of managing the device, mainly used for DRM.

We don't currently have a Windows Mobile 5 device.  We'll try to get one.

SwellGuy

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 10:49:29 am »

What are the files types that succeed? Fail? Are they protected? If the files succeed can you find them on the device as you'd expect (listed correctly in artists, albums, playlists, etc.)?

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 02:41:32 pm »

All the music i'm trying to sync is a mix of lossless WMAs and mp3s of a range of different bitrates.  I've set it to use LAME to transcode to mp3 at the default quality setting (using 2 encodings at once).  None of the music is protected.  These are the file types that both succeed or fail 1/10th of the time, and the likelihood of success seems to be independent of file type.  The files that succeed are found on the device and in the correct location, as expected, and they also appear in the Windows Media Player 10 library on the device.  (It's pretty amazing to me that WMP10 knows about them automatically after the sync without me having to rebuild the library - I guess that's WMDM at work?)

Thanks a lot for everyone's help so far.
-- Anand

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 02:48:42 pm »

Try one encoding instead of two at a time.

Try a test with just MP3 files.

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 08:30:21 am »

Well - I'm no longer having the problem of random songs failing to transfer, but MC still fails to recognize its own database on the device.  Thus, after I sync a bunch of songs to the PPC, unplug it, and then plug it back in, all the tracks show up in the device pane with only their filename, and no metadata.  As a result, when I try to sync with the device again, MC wants to erase all the media from the device and re-transcode everything, even if only a couple of songs have changed.  I'd like to help fix this problem, but I don't know where to start.
Could you give me a bit of info on how MC is supposed to read in the metadata database from the PPC?  My guess is that it's simply failing to notice that the PPC has a Media Center database on it.
Thanks.
-- Anand

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 08:15:13 am »

*bump*  - any ideas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up