INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any easy way to reconnect files in lib?  (Read 1409 times)

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
Any easy way to reconnect files in lib?
« on: March 12, 2006, 03:44:56 pm »

Occasionally MC does not properly Rename Files From Properties.  For example, I just corrected album name tags in about 30 tracks, then did a Rename Files from Properties.  All but 5 were properly done, the others show the new name in the Filename but the track is actually still in the old filename location and thus it is disconnected in the Media Library. 

I manually editted the filename back to the old location and that worked - I could at least play the track again and then a Rename Files from Properties worked properly.

Is there an easier way to reconnect tracks?     

Media Center Registered 11.1.111 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2784 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 429 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive W: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-106D  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive W: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-106D   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Any easy way to reconnect files in lib?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 03:49:26 pm »

If it didn't work, then the most likely reason is that the tags were incomplete or wrong.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 04:22:18 pm »

It was a mass tag update.  Ie, I selected 15 tracks in the same album named
Some Name (Disc 2)
... and changed the album name to:
Some Name CD2

then tracks 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 got renamed in MC but the file stayed where it was and so they were disconnected.

The  only common thing I can see in this problem is that the original track name tags as filled in by YADB was like:
Songname/Artist
... ie, there was a slash in the tag which when ripped was replaced by an underscore ... but then all the other track names also had that format and they successfully were renamed/moved.

So basically it's like the tags were properly updated but the file was never moved to the new location.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 03:12:45 am »

An alternative solution to your situation would have been to manually move/name the files to the location MC was expecting to find them. Either solution would work, you just choose the path of least resistance.
There is also the option to "fix or remove broken links" on the import media dialogue (file > library > import media) but in my experience, it always removes the entries, and in this scenario, you really wouldn't want it to do that unless you don't mind losing associated data not saved in the file's tags, such as [date imported]. As far as I'm aware, those are your only options.

This is all well and good, but if I were you, I'd be just as concerned about how the links got broken as I would be about fixing them. The underscore in the filename is not a problem, the slash is an illegal filename character in windows, so an underscore is used instead.

I can't tell you what happened regarding your 5 files. instead, I'll type a few things and perhaps something will click with you.

The first thing you should be aware of is that as soon as you click the OK button on the rffp dialogue, MC updates the filename field, then it sets about moving/renaming those files. If something happens to break the rename process before it is finished, then you will find yourself in exactly the situation you describe above, because the filename field in your database will not be rolled back.

So, what kind of things could interupt the process?

Well, the blindingly obvious first, being a system crash or a powercut, that kind of thing.

You should always avoid using the rffp tool on files that are being played, or could possibly be played, during the process. Theoretically, it shouldn't matter, but I always follow that rule when using this tool.

A long time ago, I was able to break the process within MC by setting it in motion, then starting another rffp job before this first task completed. In this case, MC would immediately abandon the first task and begin work on the new task. The [filename] field would not be rolled back, and broken links would be the result.
Now, this may well be fixed now, I'm not sure. I prefer simply not to do that. When you start a rffp job, keep an eye on the status bar at the bottom of the MC window. It will tell you if the job is finished, and if not, it will tell you how far on it is (saving tags x of y) When this changes to 'done saving tag changes' the job is done and you are free to start another.

If you were only changing the filename, not actually moving the file, you'd be hard pushed to get another rffp job on the go before it finished as the change would be practically instantaneous. The only things that might, possibly, slow that down would be if the files contained no existing tags, or resided on a remote machine (server)
The tool works in exactly the same way as windows explorer would, so, if you were moving files, and you were moving them to a different place on the same drive, it too would be practically instantaneous, barring the same possible limitations above, whereas moving them to a different physical drive, or partition, would take a while longer. How much longer would be determined by things like the total size of all selected files and drive speed.

The rffp tool offers an awesome level of control over your media files, and as such, should be treated with some considerable respect.

Following the tips above should afford you error free results from the tool, and help you gauge a rough idea of how long the job might take to finish. Just to be clear, you should be safe enough playing other files and generally poking around in the library, just don't start another rffp job untill the previous one has finished. I cannot remember the last time rffp let me down. I'm almost certain it was away back when, before I put these groundrules into practice myself. The way I visualise it is that while the job is in progress, the files are effectively 'broken links', so this area of your library is in an extremely volatile state during the renaming process. Prepare the area before starting the job, and after starting the job, don't do anything else in this area untill the job has finished.

I think I've covered everything there; remember, none of my files are on a remote system. You may also be well aware of all of this already, bearing in mind you didn't actually ask for "recommended practices" when using the rffp tool.

If you work out what went wrong, could you let us know here. I know I'd be interested.
regards,
-marko.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 07:45:31 am »

Thx for the detailed reply!  I believe I did do 2 rffp's in a row on the same block of 15 selected tracks:  First to change the song names and then I did not click off of the selected group but immediately did another edit on the album name.  Anyway, I just deleted the broken items and imported the tracks and re-edited them - all is good now. 

This is the first time I've had this happen, and I have done a LOT of rffp's over the last few years.  But, one other time I did have a very bad thing happen after a rffp:  I had about 30 or 40 tracks selected and did a rffp, it looked like the system hung but I did not touch it.  After a while the dialog appeared about the "leaving empty folders, do I want to remove" so I answered yes.  But then ALL of my tracks disappeard in the library and off the disk!  But all of the folders remained - they were just empty.  I had a recent backup so no biggie, I just lost about 2hrs of tag editting. 

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 02:35:20 am »

thanks for the reply.
it looks like that bug may still be lurking around then.
Generally speaking, you can work away on your tags in MC and pay little regard to whether a file is playing or about to be played. It's nice to know that MC will just take care of it.
Tags are metadata, little pieces of pertinent information saved within the file.
MC also allows us access to the filesystem itself, and presents that particular brand of information as editable fields in its library. This makes it really easy to be lulled into a false sense of security, believing that MC will 'just take care of things' when changes are made in these fields too; and by and large, it generally does. Just keep in mind that when using the rffp tool you're working on the filesystem, not the tags, and so apply the same level of caution you would if you were using windows explorer to perform the same tasks. While you're at it, think about how long it would take you to perform the task using windows explorer and you will understand the real power behind this tool.

I bet you're glad you backed up.
Nods to you for having made the backups, and a severe jab in the ribs for anyone who hasn't done so yet ;)
nice one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up