INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Thumbnails Problem(s)  (Read 1174 times)

rmbean

• Recent member
Video Thumbnails Problem(s)
« on: March 13, 2006, 11:20:57 am »

I have a couple questions on video thumbnails - I am using MC version 1.11.121.

1)  After upgrading to the latest version of MC from MC10, I chose to force thumbnail generation of all my media (under the Tree & View section of the Options menu).  After a good amount of time chugging along, MC completed.  Approximately 90% of my videos were thumbnailed, but a bunch of them still just show the generic MC icon.  I attempted a second (and third) time to force update the thumbnails, but MC thinks they are all up to date and finished VERY quickly.  I have not yet deleted all the thumbnails to try again since I have over 5000 videos and the prcessing time is significant.  Does anyone have any idea as to why the thumbnails did not update or how to correct the problem?

2) Is there any way to choose a different thumbnail image manually?  The reason I ask this is since some of my video clips start with a blank screen, the generated thumbnail is not representaive of what is actually in the clip.  Is it possible to take a screen snap from a bit further into the clip so something other than a black thumbnail is shown?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Video Thumbnails Problem(s)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 01:04:32 pm »

MC can't generate thumbnails for Quicktime files. Does that apply to your situation?

rmbean

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 01:12:07 pm »

Yes and no... further investigation shows that the files not thumbnailed were both Quicktime AND Realmedia files.  I assume MC has the same limitation with Real files?  That would appear to make a lot of sense.

Any word if MC will support Real/QT thumbs in the future?

Thank you for your prompt response BTW. I really appreciate it!

P.S. Is there an easily known way to convert RM/MOV files to MPG or WMV without degrading the quality?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 09:58:31 am »

I played around with some freebie utilities that would convert from Quicktime to other formats and the results weren't pretty.

I've also noticed that in previous versions, MC could get rather unstable when dealing with Quicktime. I haven't played around with it too much in quite a while, though. I'm only just getting back into MC, so I'm not sure if it seems any better in this regard.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 10:05:20 am »

I've also noticed that in previous versions, MC could get rather unstable when dealing with Quicktime.
Make sure your QT installation is the latest version.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 10:22:29 am »

It is. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up