INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to rip CD but play works  (Read 2571 times)

bigfoot42

• Recent member
Unable to rip CD but play works
« on: March 22, 2006, 07:39:00 am »

I am unable to rip certain CDs with Media Center 11.1.   When I select the CD under Drives and Devices I see the track list but the column with Rip check boxes is missing.  The contents pane has a Rip Tracks button but the Rip CD action window simply prompts to insert a CD.  I can play the tracks in Media Center using digital playback.  Other CDs rip normally in MC.

I first saw this with the CD The Dukhs/The Duhks, an enhanced CD using, I think, MC 11.1.110.  I ending up ripping it with MC10 on a different machine.  I am having the same problem with Belle & Sebastian/The Life Pursuit, which appears to be an ordinary single session audio CD.  Upgrading to 11.1.150 did not resolve the problem.  I am able to rip from The Life Pursuit using Windows Media Player.

Any suggestions about how to resolve this?

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
Re: Unable to rip CD but play works
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:40:00 am »

Ripping Pat Boone - In A Metal Mood   ;D ;D right now on.150, working fine.

TC

JohnT

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 10:21:31 am »

You could create a log file and send it to me. Go to Help/Configure debug logging. Select "output to a log file", select just the "CD" event and click "reset log file" and Ok. Now insert the problem CD and click on the Rip button. After it fails, go back to Help/Configure and click "view current log file". Save it and zip it up and send it to johnt @ jriver.com

Thanks,
John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 11:10:35 pm »

Just because it's worth a shot to ask...

I would have never thought of this on my own (because I understand innately the difference between the types of discs), but my wife just complained about this very thing last night.  It turned out she was trying to "rip" a MP3 CD.

Are you sure that the disc you are trying to rip contains CD Audio tracks and is not a Data Disc of some other format files?  Does it play on a "standard" (non-MP3 playing) CD player?

If it is a data disc, you need to copy the files over to your hard drive (using Library Tools --> Copy Disk File) rather than Rip it (which is technically different).  Perhaps those other applications just figure out what you wanted to do and did it anyway...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bigfoot42

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 09:45:34 am »

The Life Pursuit is definitely an ordinary audio CD.    Nero's InfoTool identifies it as a single session audio CD and it does play in an ancient non-MP3 Sony Discman.  The only thing unusual I noted is that Nero's disc information included artist and album title text.  I suppose that is from the CD Text feature of the drive.

The other disc, The Dukhs, is a multisession CD where the first session contains the audio tracks and the second contains multimedia data.  It too plays on the Discman.

I also have an external USB DVD burner.  As with the internal drive I can play tracks from the problem discs through MC but it does not allow me to rip them.  There is no audio connection to the USB drive so I am sure the playback is digital.

Neither of the discs appear to be copy protected in any way.  The multimedia disc doesn't even have an autostart file.

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 10:38:38 am »

Are these commercially pressed audio discs or were they burned onto CD-R media?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 01:11:12 pm »

The Life Pursuit is definitely an ordinary audio CD.    ...

Okay.  I didn't think it was real likely that this is what was happening, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bigfoot42

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 07:56:59 pm »

Are these commercially pressed audio discs or were they burned onto CD-R media?

Commercially pressed.

bigfoot42

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 07:22:58 am »

I installed MC 11.1.150 on a different machine and it allowed me to rip from the problematic discs there.  Went back to the original machine, uninstalled MC keeping library files but removing registry entries, and then deleted the directory C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11.  After reinstalling I am still unable to rip these discs on the original PC.  What next?

Thanks,
Jack

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 07:30:11 am »

Try swapping drives with the machine that worked.

bigfoot42

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 07:48:18 am »

It seems to have something to do with the existing library on the original machine.  I did another deinstall, this time removing library files.  After reinstalling I did not scan for media files, so I had an empty library.  At this point MC allowed me to rip The Life Pursuit, so I did that.  Then I restored the library from a backup.   Now I am back to the original problem, with no Rip column and an inactive Rip button in the action window.
Pages: [1]   Go Up