INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import Media Stalls w/ m4x Files Over Network  (Read 1002 times)

Thunderbird1

• Recent member
  • Hello breakfast!
Import Media Stalls w/ m4x Files Over Network
« on: April 15, 2006, 01:28:11 pm »

Hello and sincere apologies in advance as I tried to search for this issue using many keywords.

Bottom line is this (and I did not see this issue with 10.x series). Now that MC 11.1 apparently has become more integrated with the whole m4x file thing and synchronization to iPods, I've been trying to reimport my library of approximately 6,100 songs into Media Center's database.

Here are the particulars: Songs are stored on a WD External HD through a computer hooked to my home network. Ethernet to the router (Netlink WGT624) and wireless to the MC application on my laptop. I've used this config with 10.x with no import issues.

Now this is what happens...the majority of my rips were mp3 (before iTunes supported mp3 on the PC) and I have about 5,000 of them. That happens without a hiccup and takes 45 minutes to get in the library. That is if I deselect AAC (m4a, m4p, etc.) import. When I click that option, it gets to about 200 songs (if I'm lucky) and freezes. CPU usage goes to 100% (Intel 1.4M Centrino, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Netlink WAN Card) and memory usage keep clicking up (as if there's a leak).

Rebooting the program and going to mp3 (and wav) import only works great again.

I've tried importing m4x into the library (using the Import Media command) by selecting that option only and it crashes after two dozen songs with the same results...full CPU usage and memory usage going up. I've tried bypassing the WAN altogether and plugged into the Ethernet directly and I get the exact same result, so I've ruled out wireless as the culprit. I've even tried mounting the hard drive as a networked drive (ex. K:/) instead of a shared folder link and it does the same thing.

By the way, the songs it does manage to import take about 5-10s each versus less than a second for mp3.

Again...to sum up...without m4X radio button clicked, works perfectly in many different configs. With m4X import activated, crashes after 200 with all formats selected, about 27-40 using "Import Media" and the m4x radio button only activated. When it crashes, CPU is at 100% and memory leakage is evident. What am I doing wrong and does anybody with a network see this same issue?  ?

Thanks again in advance. Help?
Upon my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness...which is nice.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Import Media Stalls w/ m4x Files Over Network
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 02:52:23 pm »

This thread might help:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30561.0

Also make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime.

Thunderbird1

• Recent member
  • Hello breakfast!
Re: Import Media Stalls w/ m4x Files Over Network
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 08:35:01 pm »

Hello Jim:

Thanks for the quick response, but I should clarify something. As I said, I am able to get some m4a files (and m4p) files into the database before it crashes. (Again, about a couple of dozen). Once they are in there I have NO problems playing the file, with crossfades, etc. The problem is ONLY in when I'm importing.

The link you gave had a split which took me to the correct topic that Alex was having difficulties with:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30615.0

However, reading that, it appears that the issue went unresolved (at least publicly). BTW, I do have the latest QuickTime software.

As we speak I'm trying it again so I can get a log...it's broken a record as I'm up to 296 out of 1,195 and I haven't done a thing. Karma? It is taking 6 seconds a song on average though. If it's all uploaded I'm good to go, but it still seems there is an issue with importing m4a files because of the time. Is that normal behavior?

Thanks again.
Upon my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness...which is nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up