INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC plugins  (Read 10321 times)

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
FLAC plugins
« on: March 23, 2006, 10:20:23 pm »

Just in case folks haven't been following quite so closely, the FLAC plugins have been released again as follows:

Encoder, Version 1.6.0, March 17, 2006.
Decoder, Version 1.6.2, March 23, 2006.

These seem pretty solid (let me know if you find any bugs!!!) so I'll be uploading these to the JRiver site as well.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: FLAC plugins
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 02:06:39 am »

thanks for the tip scthom.

thanks once again also for your continued support.

-marko.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 01:28:39 pm »

Thanks for your work on this.

I'm having a problem getting Artist to import into MC.  I've ripped my files with EAC and encoded with FLAC.  Mp3tag and other programs see that the Artist tag is set, but it appears as empty in MC after importing the tracks.

Any explanation and help on this?

Thanks,
MrC
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

scthom

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:00:04 pm »

The plugin will look for "ARTIST" so double-check that's the tag name inside the FLAC file.  Double-check using "File Type Info" from the Action Window what tags are physically inside the file.  It's odd because that's generally the flac standard.

Only thing I can guess is that the name is slightly different?

Maybe post a screen capture of the File Type Info area or send me a trimmed off file so I can see what's in it?

I've not used flac or EAC or Mp3Tag to add tags, only MC, so it's possible there is a bust somewhere if for example they use "ARTIST " instead of just "ARTIST".  Just a possibility I suppose.

If you put the Artist name in, and then do an "Update tags from file" will it add the artist tag at that point?

MrC

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 04:52:43 pm »

Hello Scott,

Thanks for your reply.  I spent a little time trying to narrow the problem a bit, but haven't had much success.  The tags are correctly in the file, as you can see from the screen shot:

When I use MC to import the flac file, Artist and Album Artist (auto) are empty.  I'm not sure if this is a Flac plugin issue or an MC issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
MrC

scthom

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 07:48:21 pm »

I tried a couple of files and didn't have any trouble with "ARTIST", but these were files I made from MC.  Would it be possible for you to post a (short) track somewhere where I could pick it up?

Album Artist is not one that would get picked up my MC anyway.  I don't think Album Artist (Auto) would be filled in by that either.

Most likely, it's a plugin problem since all tagging is done through the plugin.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 09:05:18 pm »

Sure, I'll PM you with a file location.

Thanks,
MrC

scthom

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 02:39:12 pm »

I posted version 1.6.3 of the decoder on Sourceforge.

The problem was I was incorrectly ignoring tag 0 (zero).  For files tagged with MC, it wasn't a problem, because the first tag was always "Tool Name".  But with other taggers, entry 0 could be something important.  So it was a trivial fix, but an important catch.  Thanks, MrC.

MrC

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 03:59:26 pm »

Thanks Scott.  1.6.3 solved the problem.

For other's quick reference, its available here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mcplugins/In_FLAC-V1.6.3.zip?download

Sasquatch19

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 06:34:07 pm »

I have used FLAC successfully in MC 10, but I got a new computer and I just downloaded MC 11.1.144 with the plan to switch.  But.... I have a lot of FLAC files and they aren't working!  I installed the FLAC encoder (v. 1.6.0) and the FLAC decoder (v. 1.6.3).  The plugin is listed, I was able to import the files, but now they are just sitting in the "Documents" section.  They aren't recognized as audio, and they won't play when double clicked (or right clicked, select Play).  What gives?  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

MrC

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 06:43:57 pm »

Did you select FLAC on the import page?

Sasquatch19

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 06:47:04 pm »

yeah, in fact I just selected flac.  they imported fine.  they are in media center, but they are listed under the "Documents" tab... and when I go to "Audio" it doesn't show the tracks, and when I double click they don't play.  mp3's are playing fine.  listening to mos def right now :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 06:49:22 pm »

...  I was able to import the files, but now they are just sitting in the "Documents" section.  They aren't recognized as audio, and they won't play ...
I don't know why, but they seem to have been imported as Media Type: Documents.  Select a few and do Alt-Enter to get to properties, then look around for Media Type and edit it.

Sasquatch19

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 06:54:36 pm »

okay, I did that but I don't see media type. The tag info box popped up, and I see "File Type" which I think is what you mean.  Is it?  Anyways, the file type is "flac"

Sasquatch19

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 06:56:35 pm »

strike that... I found media type under "file info" it had it marked as "data"  soooo weird.  I changed it to audio and now it's working fine.  Thanks!

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 08:20:31 am »

I posted version 1.6.3 of the decoder on Sourceforge.

The problem was I was incorrectly ignoring tag 0 (zero).  For files tagged with MC, it wasn't a problem, because the first tag was always "Tool Name".  But with other taggers, entry 0 could be something important.  So it was a trivial fix, but an important catch.  Thanks, MrC.
Scott - v1.6.3 of the decoder is broken with MC v11.1.167-171. It's not writing tags or not writing them properly when ripping CDs. Tag info shows up internally when viewing recently ripped FLACs with MC, but MP3Tag shows nothing. Converting these FLACs to MP3s and importing them into MC also shows nothing. Reverting to v1.6.0 of the plugin corrects the problem.

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 09:33:46 am »

Scott - v1.6.3 of the decoder is broken with MC v11.1.167-171. It's not writing tags or not writing them properly when ripping CDs. Tag info shows up internally when viewing recently ripped FLACs with MC, but MP3Tag shows nothing. Converting these FLACs to MP3s and importing them into MC also shows nothing. Reverting to v1.6.0 of the plugin corrects the problem.

This was corrected with new Decoder Plug-In ver. 1.6.4 & Encoder ver. 1.6.1

See here:  ::)
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33070.0

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 07:23:16 am »

This was corrected with new Decoder Plug-In ver. 1.6.4 & Encoder ver. 1.6.1

See here:  ::)
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33070.0

Thanks for the link, but what's with the rolling eyes??? Neither of these updates are even mentioned on Scott's website.  ::)

scthom

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 08:14:19 am »

Thanks for the link, but what's with the rolling eyes??? Neither of these updates are even mentioned on Scott's website.  ::)

Which one?  Don't forget I'm transitioning to the Sourceforge one (I'm pretty sure it got updated).  The personal one may not get updated.

MrC

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 09:57:41 am »

Which one?  Don't forget I'm transitioning to the Sourceforge one (I'm pretty sure it got updated).  The personal one may not get updated.

Hi Scott,

I have a suggestion if you are interested.  Perhaps when you update your plugins, you can update the first post in this thread (its yours) with the current link, versions, and date-updated, or simply edit it once and post the link to all versions: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mcplugins .  I know this would essentially obviate the fun and exciting game of Find-The-Download, but I'll be the first to make the sacrifice.  :-)

Just an idea,
Thanks again for your continued support,
MrC

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 09:18:45 pm »

I was talking about your old personal website. The suggestion made above is a good one I think. There are too many links floating around. Just a thought, and thanks again for the hard work.

scthom

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 10:57:37 pm »

Yeah, I need to clean out the personal website.  It's had it's day.

I try to get them all announced but sometimes if it's too late at night  :) I forget.

The other thing I'm thinking of trying is getting the Sourceforge listserv up and running so when I announce there everybody gets an email.

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 11:51:05 pm »

I meant to put eyes under link! Sorry  ::)

You see rolling eyes, I see eyes looking up. 

jgreen

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 04:36:32 pm »

sc, thanks again for your great work on the plugins! 

Here's an interesting item I discovered, I'm not sure if it's an MC bug or a flac bug, so I posted it to the v.172 bug thread also.

Basically, dates written "2003" and "2004" end up in the tags showing as "1899/12/30".  No other dates seem to trigger this, and ID3v2 tags don't sem to have this issue.  I'm using the 1.6.2 Input, and the 1.6.0 Encoder.

Hope all is well with you.  Your plugins are central to my audio experience, and I appreciate your hard work and engenuity!

scthom

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 11:27:24 pm »

jgreen - I couldn't duplicate your problems, but I did post a new version of the decoder plugin 1.6.5 on the Sourceforge page noted below.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2006, 08:41:16 am »

for me, the dates are being written as

2003/01/01
2004/01/01

jgreen

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2006, 10:47:11 pm »

Okay, I realize this all sounds pretty darn crazy, but I've got more info on this. 

First of all, I think the only reason that 2003 and 2004 were behaving this way, while other filled dates were not, was that they were recently updated and had yet to be written to tag from the library. 

I say this because I discovered that ALL unfilled "Date" tags are showing in file type info as "1899/12/30".  Moreover, these empty date fields are ordering themselves in the date column as if that were their filled value.  They sit between the earlier dates I've filled for classical music and the later dates for pop.  NOT on one side or another, as you would expect for null entries to order themselves.

I tried putting a date in an empty field and writing it to tag.  The correct date was reported to the tag.  I then overwrote that date with null (by backspacing over the entry in  AW/tag info), and the date of "1899/12/30" returned.

I don't know how long this has been an issue, as I usually turn off "update tags when file info changes", and only maually update tags every now and then.  This might have been going on for a year, for all I know. I only recently started examing the tag info directly through "file type info" and this little beauty appeared.

Hope somebody has some insight to this, or at least I hope somebody can reproduce this.   

jgreen

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2006, 10:57:38 pm »

I just did a search in the forum archives for "1899" and up popped Dr. Cilantro, posting on the 11.1.148 thread.  He said that all his FLAC tags were now reporting "1899" and that he couldn't get rid of that.  I think his report might have gotten more attention, except that I posted saying I couldn't confirm it.  Well, I'm confirming it now, Dr. C.

timothyc

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2006, 11:24:34 pm »

I have FLAC files created and tagged in foobar2k that have been imported into 11.1.  Using the latest 1.6.5 plug-in and previous plug-ins, MC seems to choke on importing the tracknumber tag if the number is padded with a zero... 01, 02, etc.  No tag or track number appears in the MC library.

Anybody else see this problem?

scthom

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2006, 10:08:19 pm »

The DATE field value is the "days since 1900", so 1899/12/30 is -1, which is likely the MC default if no value is returned from the plugin.

I'll check again, but I don't think the plugin can return a -1.  Which would mean it's not me.

scthom

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2006, 10:09:09 pm »

I have FLAC files created and tagged in foobar2k that have been imported into 11.1.  Using the latest 1.6.5 plug-in and previous plug-ins, MC seems to choke on importing the tracknumber tag if the number is padded with a zero... 01, 02, etc.  No tag or track number appears in the MC library.

I'll look and see.  I can probably fix this pretty easy.

JONCAT

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2006, 08:28:21 pm »

EDIT - the 1.6.3 plugin fixes the FLAC library server error..thanks!

Testing library server of .75 and it seems I can't play FLAC. I get an instant error (location error) message but can play all other file types.

Should we be using the .6 version that is in the JRiver page?

Dr. C

scthom

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2006, 09:06:42 pm »

ummmmm...What?

scthom

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 11:45:04 pm »

The DATE field value is the "days since 1900", so 1899/12/30 is -1, which is likely the MC default if no value is returned from the plugin.

I'll check again, but I don't think the plugin can return a -1.  Which would mean it's not me.

Hey, jgreen, is this still happening?  I've gone through my code and I didn't find anything, and couldn't replicate your problem with the date.

scthom

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2006, 11:51:00 pm »

Are you still having this problem?  With 11.1.181 and the 1.6.5 decoder plugin, I was unable to replicate the problem.

jgreen

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2006, 08:49:03 am »

scthom--
Yes, the issue persists.  I believe it is in MC, as wav and ape are also ordered by date as if blank date fields were registering as 1899/12/30.  Note that mp3 ID3v1 tags do not do this.

In MC, if I select a file that has the "date" field blank, and then view it within "file type info", the date shows "1899/12/30".  If I then write a date to that file through "tag info", say "1978", and then write library fields to tags for that file, "file type info" then shows as expected "1978/01/01".  If I then go back to "tag info" and backspace to clear that same date field, so that "date" within "tag info" is blank, and write library to tags again, "file type info" for that track shows once again "1899/12/30".  Somebody really likes that date, seemingly.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2006, 01:51:29 am »

Yesterday, for the first time in years, I tried YADB's "lookup track info" tool.

These were for freshly encoded flac files. The source had been a combo of cdimage.ape+cue file, and MC gave me cdimage.flac, cdimage (1).flac cdimage (2).flac and so on.

I was pleasantly surprised to see YADB return the correct tags for my files.
Problem was, I had to do them one at a time. 2 or more resulted in an MC crash. everytime.
Not sure there's anything that can be done about that, neither will it be something I do very often, just thought you might like to know though.

-marko.

JONCAT

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2006, 07:06:06 am »

"Problem was, I had to do them one at a time. 2 or more resulted in an MC crash. everytime."

I've reported this regarding .ape files;  IIRC I think it's been working okay with .apes lately but I haven't done it in a while.

thanks
DC

Chrysis

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2006, 06:06:07 am »

Hi,

I've been trying to do some ripping/transcoding and have run into a problem.  Specifically if the input filename (when transcoding) or output file name contains unicode characters (as an example here is one of the output filenames when encoded with the APE encoder: 05 - ティファのテーマ.ape) the encoder crashes taking media center with it.  There doesn't seem to be a problem if one of the tags is in unicode (e.g. the artist), only when the filename itself contains unicode characters.

Thanks for the encoder, it works really well for everything else :D

scthom

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2006, 09:24:23 pm »

I've been trying to do some ripping/transcoding and have run into a problem.  Specifically if the input filename (when transcoding) or output file name contains unicode characters (as an example here is one of the output filenames when encoded with the APE encoder: 05 - ティファのテーマ.ape) the encoder crashes taking media center with it.  There doesn't seem to be a problem if one of the tags is in unicode (e.g. the artist), only when the filename itself contains unicode characters.

Double check which version of the plugin you have.  Some versions have had Unicode bugs.  The latest version is always available at http://mcplugins.sourceforge.net

Chrysis

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2006, 04:34:42 am »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.  I have encoder version 1.6.1, which appears to be the latest version, and Input 1.6.6.
Updating to Input 1.6.7 hasn't fixed anything.

I'm not sure how useful this is, but it's the more information option on one of the windows errors:

AppName: media center.exe    AppVer: 11.1.178.0    ModName: enc_flac.dll
ModVer: 1.6.1.0    Offset: 0000b68a

Hopefully this can help you track it down.  If you need any more inforamtion please ask.
Thanks,
Ian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up