INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Aspect ration on Plasma TV  (Read 976 times)

johnwbennett

DVD Aspect ration on Plasma TV
« on: April 24, 2006, 04:48:32 am »

I'm evaluating Media Centre as a first-time purchase and have problems attaining decent DVD quality.

I need a setting that will fill the desktop with the DVD image with no cropping so that my plasma can resize to full screen. There seems to be only a choice of fixed aspect ratios, none of which are a good fit. I have used the free Power DVD software - this works fine. I think I must be missing something here. Help appreciated - thanks in advance. John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DVD Aspect ration on Plasma TV
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:29:10 am »

Please take a look at these:

Tools/Options/Playback/Display settings.

and

Right Click on the screen after pausing playback.

johnwbennett

Re: DVD Aspect ration on Plasma TV
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 09:16:17 am »

Thanks - I've already tried some of these settings and they were making matters worse.

The DVD player window fits the desktop ok, but a full screen video is displayed as letterbox (or similar).

From previous experience, this is the default condition when I use Power DVD software, but I have an option to resize so that the video fills the screen without cropping. This gives reasonable results.

The available aspect ratios in Media Player do not seem to allow me to resize in this way. The video is full-screen width, but there are bars top and bottom. This is with a video that would normally play full screen.

So I think that this is a video aspect ratio problem, not a problem relating to the size of the player window in the desktop.

Settings are.
Desktop 800x600 (preferred input resolution for my Plasma)
Plasma PAL 852x480 (so there's some pixel interpolation carried out)

Thanks for your help - John

Pages: [1]   Go Up