INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrating from WMP  (Read 3162 times)

Jayhawk

• Recent member
Migrating from WMP
« on: May 03, 2006, 01:05:15 pm »

Newbie to JRiver.  I spent a couple hours searching forum and looking at help file... hopefully didn't miss this but point me if I did.

I have few thousand tracks in Windows Media Player and wish to import them to MC.  I did an import on one album.  Music and some metadata came over but no coverart and no user-ratings.   

Is there a way to automatically move the coverart and ratings to MC?  My ratings are my main selection tool!  I found where to get the art from the web; but would take a long time to do this one by one.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Migrating from WMP
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 01:09:02 pm »

How do you store your art?

If you store your art in the file tags Media Center should automatically detect it.

If you store the art as folder.jpg, Media Center should automatically detect that as well.  Right-click a few files in MC and pick "Image > Quick Find in File / Cover Art Directory".

Finally, make sure you're using the latest version of Media Center 11.1.  User ratings in WMA files should be imported. (assuming they're saved in the tags)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jayhawk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 08:14:45 am »

Thanks, Matt...
I'm on MC10.0... would that account for the problems?
My coverart is in the album folders created by WMP.  The user ratings are in the WMP database.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 08:38:41 am »

Please try the latest build from the top of this forum.  (11.1.18x)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nocomp

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 10:28:04 pm »

Hy!

I'm a longtime WMP10 and Media Monkey user and I've been searching for a program like Media Center for a long time now. And finally there is a professional program that does everything I want it to do.

There's only one thing that holds me back from buying Media Center: (currently using Version 11.1)

My "global ratings" which are saved inside the mp3-tags (saved with WMP 10 or Media Monkey) cannot be imported to Media Center - what the heck???
All my WMP10-ratings are fine if I import the same mp3's to the Media Monkey-Library and vice versa.

The ratings are even visible on my Creative Zen Vision:M mp3-player.
It is even possible to sync the WMP-ratings with iTunes (with the shareware-program MusicBridge)

For me it would be a simple nogo to rate over 5000 mp3's once again. Ratings are my main selection tool - like for many others.

Is there any solution for this problem or is it just impossible to get the WMP10 & Media Monkey ratings into the Media Center 11 library? Is there a chance for an upcoming update to fix this issue?

Thanks for your reply,

Martin

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 07:11:15 am »

Please check google to see if you can find out the name of the field WMP uses, then add it to MC's display or use MC's Library tools to move from one field to another.

nocomp

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 07:26:26 pm »

I tried really hard to find a solution by myself, but after some hours I capitulated.

So far I know for sure:
--> WMP10 saves its rating to the "POPM"-field
--> the program id3-TagIT shows exactly how the WMP-ratings are saved to the "POPM"-field:

@JimH:
You said I should add this field (POPM) to MC's display or I should use the library-tools to move from one field to another.
I tried to follow your instructions but as you already know I failed to solve the problem on my own.

Could you please be more precise with your help? Thanks in advance!

And btw:
I don't know if the MC-programmers know, but many people buy Digital Audio Players (DAP's) these days and 50% are ipods and some 30-40% are DAP's that come with Microsoft's Playsforsure-Logo.
Most people are used to sync their DAP's with WMP10, which often is bundled with these DAP's. Also my Creative Zen Vision:M came with WMP10 and it syncs with WMP10 without any flaws (ratings too).

But since Zen Vision:M and many other Playsforsure-DAP's support "rating-on-the-go", someone will never be able to import these ratings once he had contact with WMP10.
Do you understand what I mean?

I think it's kind of logical that nearly everybody who's interested in Media Center (and considers to buy it) comes from another program he maybe used for years (like me and WMP10).

All what such people want is a seamless integration of simple features like ratings from their old media player without investing hours to get it work like they want it to.

I hope you can help me to solve this little problem, because it's really very essential for me - means as long Media Center isn't able to do everything I want it to, I'll not consider it. But believe me - I want it really bad because besides this major flaw it is a great program.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Martin

nocomp

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 12:01:13 pm »

Anyone ?
Please!

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 01:55:59 am »

To confirm: You have been to "Tools/Options/Library/" and added a new field with the same name as WMP uses? When looking at said field in the "Tagging window" dont you see any values assigned?
If you can see the ratings in that field, or any other in the tagging window, then you can use a tool (Right click on a file and click on "Library tools/Move or Copy fields" and set the values for that field to copy to the "Ratings" field that Media Center uses.

I didnt realise the MC didnt already read ratings made in WMP. I agree that it should be addressed in the future.

nocomp

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 07:14:20 am »

No, I don't see any assigned values for the POPM field in MC's Tagging Window.  :(

Maybe I'm too stupid to get it done or it really is very complicated - assuming it is possible.

Isn't there an admin who can ask the programmers of MC for a solution of this problem?  ?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 07:54:39 am »

MC can read (and write) WMP made ratings only from wma files. MJ/MC has never used the ID3v2 "POPM" tag for ratings that are saved inside mp3 tags.

I have no idea if JRiver is going to make changes to the ratings tag handling, but for now, you could simply make five separate m3u playlists with WMP (one for each star rating), import the playlists to MC and rate the files included in each playlist.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nocomp

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 08:51:22 am »

That is in fact a very nice workaround (importing 5 playlists).
But nevertheless MC is not an "All-in-one-solution" for me anymore since I would have to use WMP10 very often to rate tracks.
Actually I wanted MC 11.1 to replace WMP10 forever.
If I change any rating in WMP I have to import playlists to MC again. So that's a simple nogo for me.

But actually I don't care if my ratings are only available for me (since they are subjective anyway)
So I wouldn't care to use the MC-rating then.

If I switch to MC will finally depend on:
--> do MC-ratings transfer to my Zen Vision:M (MTP-device) correctly and backwards as well?

I'll have to test this first - if it is not working (like it should!!!) - bye bye Media Center!  :'(

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 09:10:33 am »

--> do MC-ratings transfer to my Zen Vision:M (MTP-device) correctly and backwards as well?

I'll have to test this first - if it is not working (like it should!!!) - bye bye Media Center!  :'(

Most likely your Zen Vision uses the POPM tag if it is compatible with WMP.

Hopefully JRiver can include this method of storing ratings. Recently they have added many new MP3 tag fields upon user requests.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

castew

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 01:08:54 pm »

sorry to dig up an old thread but through a lot of searchign this one seemed relevant.

i've just this last couple of days started using media center. i had been using wmp 10 but just got wmp 11 and i wa so dissapointed with the lack of improvement on all the little things that i went looking at the alternatives and this seems like the only one.

thing is though my music collection is fairly large, a respectable little 25Gb or so and ever since i went ot wmp1- abotu 18 months ago i've been good to my library and looked after it and there are 2 fields ive been using in wmp to organise my collection.

the first was the star ratings and thanks to Alex B for ending a long 2 hours of searching with a very simple solution to migrate the ratings but the other thing i use A LOT to sort playlists etc is the overall play count that wmp keeps track of as you go along. the same as media centers 'Number Plays' field.

if i could get the values from the field in wmp to migrate to the filed in MC then i'd have absolutely no use anymore for wmp and that would just make my life that little bit better. But with the play counts in wmp varying from 0 to 186 across my 8000 or so tracks the play count has become a very iseful bit of information and i don't wanna lose it.

Any ideas or is this just not possible?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 01:19:44 pm »

How about making several playlists of files in WMP?  For example:

played 10-49 times
50-99 times
100-149 times
149+ times

After importing to MC, edit the playcounts for each playlist.

castew

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 01:46:54 pm »

well that would reduce the work in putting them in myself and i suppose i could cope with losing a bit of the accuracy like that but i can't seem to edit the "Number PLays" field manually. am i just being stupid?
Pages: [1]   Go Up