INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing files through media server: Problem  (Read 1406 times)

RichardjDunn_78

Playing files through media server: Problem
« on: May 15, 2006, 05:45:30 am »

Hello,

Im just trying to get to grips with Media Centre 11 and the media server provided. I have a few films (AVI's) stored on my "FileServer", i install media centre, import the films and music etc, start up Media Server. Then connect to the "FileServer" library from another PC using Media Centre. Everythings is a'ok when playing Mp3's but when i try to play a large movie file (say 700mb), it just says "Connecting" then nothing happens, if i was to play a small 7mb file it'll play the movie fine. I know my wireless connnection is fast enough to stream the movies as i do it regulary using BSplayer or Windows Media Player, also if i was to drag n drop the large movie file using Windows Explorer from the "FileServer" onto Media Centre on my local PC, it will play the file. So something must be a miss when im sharing the movies via the media server. Is there a reason why this might be happening, the product seems really good but this slight hiccup means it is unusable for my movies :-(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playing files through media server: Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 08:29:21 am »

Not all file types can be streamed with MC.  We'll try to improve this in a future version.

The large file would probably play after a while.  It's just being transferred first.

RichardjDunn_78

Re: Playing files through media server: Problem
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 10:53:49 am »

Thats not really the case, the file WILL play from the "FileServer" if you drag and drop it from a mapped drive in Windows Explorer onto your local Media Centre, but  if you try and play the file via the "FileServer"'s  Media Server it will not....so....the file plays in media centre, the file can be streamed from a remote pc to your local media centre but not via the "FileServer"'s media server......any more ideas?? are there any buffering attributes i can play with, prioritizing???
Pages: [1]   Go Up