INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View Slow  (Read 3204 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Theater View Slow
« on: May 10, 2006, 03:31:31 pm »

Theater View "Play delay" and navigation sluggishness:

Earlier in this thread I reported a problem with songs having a 10 second delay before playing when I used Theater View to navigate and play songs.  I just reverted to 171, and the problem went away -- i.e. somewhere between 171 and 183 this problem started.  What changes were made that could effect Theater View playback response?

After going back to 171 I also noticed that the navigation responsiveness in Theater View got noticeably better.  183 has a much more sluggish response when navigating compared to 171.

Note that these issues are unique to Theater View -- i.e. even with 183, the "normal" pane view does not exhibit these issues.

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center 11.1.183
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 03:36:38 pm »

What happens if you reinstall 183?  The reinstall may have fixed the problem.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Media Center 11.1.183
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 05:07:04 pm »

What happens if you reinstall 183?  The reinstall may have fixed the problem.

I rebooted, then reinstalled 183.  Both Theater View problems returned -- i.e. the long pause before playback starts, and the sluggish navigation response.  There seems to have been a change somewhere between 171 and 183 that effects Theater View performance.

I should note once again that this problem is only really "noticeable" on my slower system (dual 1Gig P3.)  It appears that with a faster system, the problems are "masked."  Unfortunately, the P3 has to be my main music system.  Given that the Theater View performance with 171 if fine on the P3, however, it seems like this is a fixable bug.

Thanks for any help with this,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater View Slow
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 06:15:40 pm »

I can't think what might have changed.  Are you running anything custom under Theater View?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 06:32:09 pm »

Try resetting your view schemes.  (I think I've seen you mention doing really advanced (and possibly slow) things inside scheme rules)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 07:07:35 pm »

I'm actually just using the default view scheme for my Audio.  I do use some more advanced view schemes for iPod use, but I'm not using these in this example -- I'm just using the default "Audio" view scheme to navigate, and I haven't made any changes to it.

That said, given that 171 does not have the delay and 183 does (confirmed by switching back and forth between 171 and 183), wouldn't this imply that somewhere between these two versions a change took place?  It also seems telling to note that ONLY Theater View is effected by the issue -- i.e. the normal pane view does not have this problem.

Are you running anything custom under Theater View?

No -- I'm just running the same, default Theater View settings in each case (i.e. with both 171 and 183.)

Thanks again,

Larry

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 03:18:23 am »

Larry, i opened a post in Feb and in April for the same issue.  I figured out, that different builds have this delay, others not. The delay has something to do with a network access. Try to disable network-connection(s).
I figured out different reasons for a delay:
First, I found a playlist with a deleted file in an network drive
Second, i disabled all options with network access

Hope, theese hints help you a little

Uwe

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 12:26:49 am »

Larry, i opened a post in Feb and in April for the same issue.  I figured out, that different builds have this delay, others not. The delay has something to do with a network access. Try to disable network-connection(s).
I figured out different reasons for a delay:
First, I found a playlist with a deleted file in an network drive
Second, i disabled all options with network access

Hope, theese hints help you a little

Uwe

I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying to disable.  Are you saying to disable any part of MC that uses network access, or to actually disable network connetions in Windows?  I can't do this as a solution since my setup requires network access, and since I use MC on one system to feed my other systems -- i.e. I keep my library on the main system and access it from other systems via library server.

At this point, the workaround seems to be to use 171.  I supposed I could try other versions between 171 and 183 to see exactly when this issue started, but I think that 171 may be more stable than some of the newer versions prior to 183.

Thanks for helping out with this,

Larry

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 01:00:58 am »

I have this same setup, and now that you mention it, I've noticed Theater View being really sluggish lately. I've been blaming it on the PC it's installed on, but now that you're mentioning this change from 171 to 183, I'm tempted to install 171 on that PC and see what happens...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 01:36:26 am »

I just downgraded my HTPC from 183 to 171. The Theater View performance difference is astounding! 171 is WAY more responsive, both in navigation and in playback, than 183. The HTPC is connecting through a 100Mb network to the music/image/video library. I'm NOT using Library Server.

Seriously guys. Install 171 and give it a try. It's a very noticeable difference.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 03:28:16 am »

I upgraded to 183 (from 160) and have also noticed TV is definately on the sluggish side by comparison. My system's not quite as bad as lalittle's but definately noticeable.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 09:16:59 am »

Just wanted to bump this up now that everybody's back at work. :)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 09:30:58 am »

Just a thought I had... After I downgraded to 171, I realized this build was before the Ignore Articles sorting in Theater View bug was fixed. Could that be the connection?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 11:01:46 am »

Next build:
Changed: Theater View could be slower than expected on some systems due to font auto-sizing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 05:43:35 am »

Next build:
Changed: Theater View could be slower than expected on some systems due to font auto-sizing.

Any confirmation?
I'm still using .175

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 08:28:38 am »

I can confirm. It does feel as fast as 171 did to me. Or close enough that I couldn't really tell the difference.

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 06:52:44 am »

Just installed .184 and can confirm that too. There's still a little break, but i'm using a 660 Mhz PC and therefore my claims are different.

Thanks for that!
Uwe

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 05:30:23 am »

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread.  I just wanted to also confirm that 184 seems to have returned Theater View to it's previous speed.  I notice a bit of a slow start on the FIRST song I play, but after this, the subsequent songs play quickly, and the navigation response is much better now -- as far as I can tell, it's more like the speed I see with 171.  (I think the slow start on the "first" song is due to the "Multi Info" playing now screen loading for the first time.)

Thanks,

Larry

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 09:34:16 am »

(I think the slow start on the "first" song is due to the "Multi Info" playing now screen loading for the first time.)

It most likely is. I have the same setup running and I've always noticed a slowdown as PlayingNow loads its skin file for the first time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up