INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: some m4a play, some don't  (Read 1481 times)

twherreman

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
some m4a play, some don't
« on: May 13, 2006, 05:04:42 pm »

Hello
I am in the process of replacing laptop with new.
Had used MC 10 and multiple upgrades, now 11.1.111 on old laptop. It plays all .m4a files OK, although it is a bit slow to start and does not allow replay gain. But no matter.
My new laptop has MC 11.1.183, downloaded this week. It plays a subset of m4a file OK, the others not at all. Could have to do with the encoding from audio to m4a (on somebody else's computer), because an album goes entirely either one way or the other.
I downloaded and installed those directshow things but not sure if they are doing everything they should. At least I now was able to drag all into MC, and it imported, although still does not play about half of them. Previously, I was unable to drag them, I would drop them and it would remain empty.
I would be surprised if this had to do with any protection, as I know some of the files were transferred from vinyl by a guy in his garage. These files are irreplaceable.
I have tried bandaids, like converting the file with IMTOO converter, but does not support this m4a (although it does provess some of them). Also I tried burning a CD using burrrns.com, so I could reencode, but that also did not work.
Do you think if I installed MC 10 and the latest MC11 on top of that on my new laptop, it would solve the problem?
Thanks so much
Tine

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: some m4a play, some don't
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 11:00:01 pm »

Try installing Quicktime.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

twherreman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:39:46 pm »

Hi
Thank you for the suggestion.
Quicktime was installed already and it still does not work.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Thank you
Tine

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 12:12:22 am »

MC 10 playes m4a files using Quicktime engine. MC 11.1 plays them using DirectShow if available, and using Quicktime as a fall back. So if those files played in MC 10, they should also play in MC 11.1, as long as you have Quicktime.

What happens when you try to play the files? Are there any error messages? What DirectShow filters did you install?

I doubt installing MC 11.1 on top of MC 10 would help. But when you are desperate, you can try it  :). It probably would not hurt trying it. Just make sure you backup your library first!

Quicktime was installed already and it still does not work.
Do you mean "Quicktime was installed in the first place" (i.e. before you even tried to play those files in MC 11.1), or "I just installed Quicktime following your suggestion, and it still does not work"? If it is the former, you should try re-installing Quicktime.

twherreman

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 11:01:16 pm »

Hi
Quicktime was on the computer when I got it.
I will install it again but I can't find a quicktime to download that does not also involve getting and installing itunes. I don't want that interfering program on my computer if I can help it. Do you know where to go for just a quicktime?
When I try to play the files, nothing happens, the player just plays the next valid file. No error msgs. The icon looks like a sheet of paper instead of a musical note.
I installed 3ivx_4d_451_win.exe
Thank you
Tine

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 01:13:44 am »

Do you know where to go for just a quicktime?

Yes, it is at lower right part of the page where you are offered to download Quicktime with iTunes. There is a link that says "Quicktime Standalone Installer" which will bring you to the page you wanted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up