INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play for sure firmware for Zen Xtra?  (Read 2940 times)

nexos

• Recent member
Play for sure firmware for Zen Xtra?
« on: May 14, 2006, 09:05:56 am »

Should I revert to the Play For Sure (2.x.x) firmware for my Zen Xtra, or should I stick to the "regular" one?

Which one works better for Syncing songs and playlists with MC?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Play for sure firmware for Zen Xtra?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:21:51 am »

The only advantage of Playsforsure is that you'll be able to play Windows protected files that are purchased.

Have you tried MC with what you have?

nexos

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 10:24:09 am »

Yes, I have been using it for some time now, only lately it stopped syncing my playlists, so I thought maybe the different firmware will help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 12:12:55 pm »

It's possible that our PDT.xml file changed.  It describes the types of devices.  Take a look here:

C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\Data\Default Resources\PDT.xml

You may be able to create a new entry for the device as a non WMDM device.

nexos

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 05:35:03 pm »

I took a look, and the Zen Xtra appears there as type 2 - WMDM device, I don't know what it means, but I changed it to type 1 - specific plugin.
When I tried connecting the device it didn't work well, it thought the device is over capacity, so i didn't do anything else and restored the XML to the original form.

Can you help me understand this a little better?

Thanks.

SwellGuy

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 12:01:07 pm »

Type 2 is correct for the Xtra.

What do you mean by it stopped syncing the playlists? Does it synchronize the files to the device OK but doesn't list the playlist on the device?

If you view the device with Explorer does it list the playlist file in "My Playlists"?

Does MC list the playlist(s) on the Xtra correctly?

nexos,
I just saw your other thread. In Handheld Options, try changing the playlist path to 'Playlists' or 'Playlists\'.

nexos

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 01:30:50 pm »

it synchronize the files to the device OK but doesn't change the playlists at all on the device, they stay the same as they were, none of the new songs are added to them, nor songs removed.

I'm using Notmad to explore the device besided MC, and it shows the playlists under Notmad Explorer\Playlists, I'm not sure if this helps...

MC doesn't show the playlists of the Xtra at all, the file tree on the left has only one node for the Zen Xtra, no sub-nodes, and on the screen I see a list of artists, a list of albums, and the entire Sync track list.

I tried changing the playlist path from "My Playlists" to juat "Playlists", didn't seem to change anything.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 06:44:31 pm »

With some new version of 11.1.x my Zen Xtra could not be seen in MC anymore.  After upgrading to the latest Plays for Sure firmware it started working again - but, I think i also reformatted the Xtra, too, just to make sure it was in a known condition with the new firmware.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 07:55:50 am »

I am having the same problem with my zen xtra.  will not sync properly.  I tried to remove a playlist, it removed the songs from the playlist on the zen but did not remove the playlist, left it empty.  I also have sync on connect and delete all on zen not on mc.  I did connect a dell dj, which it did not recognize, then reconnected my zen xtra, not sure what that did, as I have not synced for awhile.  I don't believe I can trust my sync at all, meaning not sure all is out there. 
I have always had the problem of 2 different playlist containing dups of the same song.  Meaning I have 2 entries of the same song by same artist different album.  These are in two different playlist.  the zen gets confused and deletes the first it finds then syncs the other.  the next time i sync it says i need to sync the ones that it deleted the first time, i do then get the same problem the next time I sync....

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 09:17:16 am »

txgary did you update the xtra with the latest firmware?  I also had a playlist problem but all is working ok after updating (plus I believe I reformatted my xtra thinking the new MC and firmware changes might not be compatible with the previous syncs).

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 10:25:20 am »

I installed the new firmware and it cleaned off my zen. 
Now syncing.  will see what happens......

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 10:55:41 am »

hmm, i did not notice it until now but about 90% of my zen xtra playlists are duplicated twice ... i guess i need to clean the xtra again and sync anew

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 11:32:02 am »

after installing the new firmware, everything appears to be working great...  Biggest drawback is that it cleans the zen of all songs and playlists.  I added a few playlists and all appears to be good, now adding additional 3700 songs.  It appears to be moving at a very fast pace.  All looks good.

i do recommend the firmware upgrade. 

The zen needs to be cleaned and reloaded every year at least.  Everything seems to work better when that is done.  Just a pain to do.

Pages: [1]   Go Up