INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 5554 times)

vaso65

• Junior Woodchuck
Windows Vista
« on: May 20, 2006, 05:40:18 pm »

MC 11.1.183

MC volume remain at 100%.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 07:53:48 pm »

Try setting the Playback Options.  You can switch between wave out and direct sound.  MC Tools/Options.

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 01:54:35 pm »

Sorry Jim this Settings does not help for the problem.
That is a problem of MC11 which I already determined under Windows Vista.

Only which helps is Media Center 11 to internal audio volume control to change,
however it functions only with audio playback.

Windows Vista regulates the volume no longer simply over Wave volume separates program controled.
In the mixer only audio sources appear the something playing, and only these are then adjustable.

Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 06:05:18 pm »

Does no interest that MC11 on Vista correctly functioned?

Beta 2 becomes in the next days public, therefore it would be at the time for test mc11 on it or?   ?
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 10:37:00 pm »

Microsoft told me Vista is being released this fall...  When is the release date?  I need a new operating system...  XP is a pain anymore...

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 03:59:11 am »

Vista beta 2 Public comes in the next days, I thinks to ends to this monthly.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 06:22:03 am »

Vista's got a long way to go folks, don't get your hopes up with 5384.4 (B2) either.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 10:24:50 am »

I put it in.
I take it out.
Three cheers for Acronis!

Video driver is much better.

Sound driver (or basic ideas) is not there. I get stutteriing playback of nearly anything at random times but especially if I use a hard drive...

Anti virus tools are limited.

Fun to look at for a few hours. No interest in keeping it on the machine for now.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 10:29:32 am »

Microsoft told me Vista is being released this fall...  When is the release date?  I need a new operating system...  XP is a pain anymore...

Microsoft claims officially that the release date is still January 2007.  However, they have been "hinting" at another delay again recently.

Maybe, this has something to do with it...

"Installing Vista Beta 2 was one of the worst operating system experiences that I’ve ever encountered."  And this isn't from some anti-Microsoft hack, it's from someone who works at MSNBC (and remember what the MS in MSNBC stands for).  And then there's the big list of Vista complaints from Paul Thurrott (a huge Microsoft fanboy if there ever was one).  I certainly would give installing Vista on anything approaching a production box a wide berth, whenever it does eventually get released.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 02:03:17 pm »

Sorry but Build 5308/5342 is not Beta 2 !

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 02:26:06 pm »

I didn't think I said it was!

Are you suggesting that Beta 2 has fixed all of Paul's complaints in that article?  I'd strongly disagree, and I think Paul would as well.  The only reason I didn't link to his new article (about Beta2) is that he hasn't posted it yet.  And the report from MSNBC was "using what was described to me as a 'very near Beta 2' [build]."

I'm not saying that Vista will be worthless.  That's certainly not the case.  However, there are large parts of it that are defective by design, huge swaths of it that won't work for many users, and much of the rest seems to be lifted directly from OSX.

All I'm saying is, much like Windows XP, most users would probably be best advised to wait 6-8 months after release before dipping into the Vista waters...

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 07:11:13 pm »

Oh, I didn't take a pass on XP, in fact it was the sole OS on my machine from whatever beta had good driver support. It offered enough reason to upgrade that I'd lose the use of the occasional app.

Vista, as far as I can see, has no compeling reason now that the cool techie stuff has been dropped or delayed.

Like I need transparent windows...

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 10:30:17 pm »

Oh, I didn't take a pass on XP, in fact it was the sole OS on my machine from whatever beta had good driver support. It offered enough reason to upgrade that I'd lose the use of the occasional app.

Vista, as far as I can see, has no compeling reason now that the cool techie stuff has been dropped or delayed.

Like I need transparent windows...

What he said...
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 05:10:07 am »

Vista is M$' Vietnam war! They are totally swamped with bugs, problems and errors, and it's gonna be delayed like crazy. I feel sorry for the people who bought computers this winter to be "ready for Vista", their PC's are going to be ready for a museum before anything resembling usable code gets out... My guess is that in a year we still will be waiting for the final release. Either that, or there is a release out with so many bugs that M$ stocks sinks like the Titanic!

Oh, just so nobody suspects me for being anti Windows: XP is the best OS I've ever been running, and I have no significant problems with it (annoyances, yes, but they come with the PC territory). And I hate Linux for desktop use, and especially multimedia use, with a passion!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 05:54:52 am »

I agree, XP SP2 is a very solid, stable OS.  My XP machines are very robust, maybe more so than when they were Win2K machines.  Especially as media-centered (pun intended) machines.

I have mixed feelings on Vista, the "betas" (including B2, 5384) have been essentially useless for me so far, my machines just don't have the hardware to make it work right.  Many other beta-testers are having good results with B2 but still, there are serious problems with the bits, especially the UAC crap, though I expect that UAC will be sorted out at RC1.

Mastiff is probably right on, it won't be ready for most for about another year.  The hardware requirements alone are astonishing.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 09:53:07 am »

I agree, XP SP2 is a very solid, stable OS.  My XP machines are very robust, maybe more so than when they were Win2K machines.

Absolutely.  I wouldn't necessarily say that XP is the best OS I've ever used, but it is very good.  I like different OSes for different purposes (and reasons).  I love a lot of things about my OSX machines, but (until very recently) the hardware available for them just couldn't keep up.  Linux is great for a lot of "business-type" uses (server systems, office docs, web browsing, email, etc), but just can't keep up for multimedia use (yet).

XP can't be beat for HTPC uses, Gaming, and the sheer breadth of software available.

As Mastiff said, my main concern with Vista is... Why?  After everything they promised, Vista looks more and more like a fancy UI upgrade with steep hardware requirements.  While all of my primary machines could certainly handle the upgrade, why would I want to reduce their performance for some fancy transparent windows, a OSX Dashboard clone (which I never use on OSX even), and most importantly a bunch of intentionally broken DRM junk?

No thanks.  I'll wait for SP1 and re-evaluate it then.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 03:41:40 pm »

I always loved DOS, and i really hated to convert to windows 3.1 (witch is where my handle comes from ms-dos 3.2 clone)

there is just so many things you can do in dos that you can't do in windows when dealing with files (unless you drop to the command prompt).

I kind of like the longer file names in windows and Opus Directory helps

windows XP is very stable, it still has it's problems and Vista will for a few years and SP x patches.

I feel most users may want to stick with Windows XP for sometime. Power users may want to play with Vista but i don't think many companies will run out and scrap there current OS.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 09:12:55 am »

Companies are the most conservative of all when it comes to OS! If I remember correctly, Micro$oft had to extend the support period for Windows 98 a year or two back because so many corporate customers were still on it! I think Vista is more directed at home computers and maybe the SOHO (small office home office) market. But I disagree totally in it being the biggest OS upgrade since Windows 2 to 3.1. For practical purposes this is just a resource hog with some fancy windows dressing and a lot of stuff going on in the background that I don't even want my computer to do! Trusted computing? More like "we don't trust our users" computing... ;)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

bturner45

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 09:02:19 pm »

Companies are the most conservative of all when it comes to OS! If I remember correctly, Micro$oft had to extend the support period for Windows 98 a year or two back because so many corporate customers were still on it! I think Vista is more directed at home computers and maybe the SOHO (small office home office) market. But I disagree totally in it being the biggest OS upgrade since Windows 2 to 3.1. For practical purposes this is just a resource hog with some fancy windows dressing and a lot of stuff going on in the background that I don't even want my computer to do! Trusted computing? More like "we don't trust our users" computing... ;)

Any OS from M$ is a trainwreck on release, they usually get it right about SP2.  This also goes for their other apps as well.  I use XP SP2 (home) which I got on the system pre-installed.  I ran 98SE for many years, because it was stable.  That M$ has basically 'broken faith' with all their customers surprises me not at all.  Any company that thinks they have the right to say to you 'you _will_ upgrade your OS because we are dropping support for it...' this is just flat wrong.  Why the multitude of corporations using 98SE don't join forces and tell M$ to support what they sold or they are switching to another OS is beyond me.  Linux is commonplace now in companies of all sizes and business lines.  With the exception of multi-media support Linux rox and is my 'OS of choice' for personal use and has been for many years.

I have been involved with computers since fall of 1980 when I started college.  Mainframes (and IBM) ruled the earth then.  IBM PC was only one of a multitude of hardware platforms for personal use, and MS DOG only a small frog in a huge pond.  I basically 'grew up' with the PC.  Two degrees and a Linux Certification gained along the way.  I'm a Disabled Viet Nam Vet now so more time on my hands than I can find to fill.  I stumbled across MC a couple of days back and just installed the test version.  This is my first post here.

MC is very nicely done.  There is nothing like this on Linux that's for sure.  I gather there also is nothing similar on the Mac.  I saw that someone had at least posted a way to get MC to run using Wine.  That's for sure better than nothing but I think that a 'native port' to both the Mac and to Linux would be a very cool, and profitable, thing indeed.  Compared to the installed base of Windows both the Mac and Linux user base is small.  But 'small' in this case means 10's of millions of people.  Nobody knows for sure how many people use Linux and Apple for sure isn't giving all sales data either but a base of '10's of millions' is worthy of consideration I would think.

I couldn't find a way to send email to the developers so posted this here instead.  If you would need a 'beta basher' for Linux I would be more than happy to do that.  I have looked around in the forums and you seem to have a nice little community thang going here.  That's cool.  Linux is all about 'community' and that is something M$ will never have because it can not be bought.  Enough for now. 

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 02:07:17 am »

;D ;D there are those who think newer is necessarily better. that doesn't apply to cars, women or software. be patient folks - go silly with windows vista and you will regret it - is anyone happy with bill gates music software - i think not - i repeat be very very careful

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
Lots of new audio features in VISTA!
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 05:10:09 pm »

Hmm, I'm very excited by the audio changes planned for Vista...

Room Correction with microphone
- freq. response equalization
- time delay
- gain
- first-reflection cancellation filter

Bass Management
Loudness Equalization
Headphone Virtualization
Channel Control Tools (i.e., stereo > 5.1, phantom channels etc...)

Amir from Microsoft describes above here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=713073

And also

- Per application volume control
- audio stack moved out of the kernal and into user mode
- 32 bit floating point

etc...

See Larry Ostermans weblog:
http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/archive/2005/09/19/471346.aspx

And an interesting video: Steve Ball - Learning about Audio in Windows Vista
http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=116347

I'm curious as to how this all affects Media Center.  Hopefully coders are busy coding away! :)

-- Frequent lurker, very occasional poster, big time MC fan... 

JONCAT

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 11:17:14 pm »

"I agree, XP SP2 is a very solid, stable OS.  My XP machines are very robust, maybe more so than when they were Win2K machines.  Especially as media-centered (pun intended) machines."

My experience as well; I'm using Xp Pro x64 and it's been as stable as XP SP2 for me. Welcome to Bill S & Bturner45, enjoy the endless pleasures of MC!

Only thing (and a few others) keeping me with M$ is MC and maybe Wavelab, although I have heard there are some good recording apps on Linux.

BillS - Those features are handy, but do we really need to depend on an OS for things like Bass Managment and room correction for mics? Loudness equalisation.....what about MC using RGain? Vista seems bloated too me, I tried to install Beta 2 on my brother's new dual core for kicks, and it hung at the very beginning of the install, at the welcome screen. I read some gnarly comments regarding Vista, seems like they are attempting to make it idiot proof and in turn making idiots out of experienced users who are pulling their hair out due to bugs and now hidden features. Things like Microsoft Media Center Edition make me laugh, or cringe, when I hear how many issues (especially audio) people have...leave the audio & video to JRiver & company.

Dr. C

bturner45

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 10:30:38 am »

Hello Dr. C, nice to be here.

"I agree, XP SP2 is a very solid, stable OS.  My XP machines are very robust, maybe more so than when they were Win2K machines.  Especially as media-centered (pun intended) machines."

My experience as well; I'm using Xp Pro x64 and it's been as stable as XP SP2 for me. Welcome to Bill S & Bturner45, enjoy the endless pleasures of MC!
Only thing (and a few others) keeping me with M$ is MC and maybe Wavelab, although I have heard there are some good recording apps on Linux.
This is the first report on x64 with M$ I have seen, at least from somebody I could trust.  Linux has x64 support and has since there was x64.  I use AMD chips, I have a 2GHz Sempron in my current system.  Like a lot of my friends I am saving for an Athlon 64. :) 

So far as multimedia stuff is concerned I'm pretty much 'Joe User' but I know that they had a 'graphics farm' of Linux machines that was used for the movie Titanic.  They have a graphics program (the GIMP) that is comparable to Photoshop.  They have several programs for multimedia that are good, damned good. 

The problem is they are too 'limited' in their approach.  If you want to rip CD's you need a ripper program.  This program may or may not have the ability to also burn CD's.  Odds are pretty good that the formats you can rip to and from will be limited to 'free and open source' (FOSS) types, meaning no mp3, M$ formats, or other 'proprietary' formats of whatever type.  The madness gets worse when you talk about doing something as simple as watching streaming video off the web.  Whatever program you use for your ripping and playing cd's will almost certainly not work for the video. At least Real Player has a Linux version, one small gleam of  hope that things can be better.

Linux is crying with the need for a really good 'general purpose' program like MC. 

Linux distros are split along one of two lines.  'Pure' distros, like Debian, that use only FOSS components.  Depending on what you want to use it for this might be just fine.  For servers Debian is second to none, servers don't need multimedia stuff all that much.  Even on the 'pure' distros there are programs out there that the end user can install to overcome the lack of ability to play the 'proprietary' formats.  This can turn into a nightmare though, especially for a 'newbie'.

Then you have the other side of the coin, the more 'consumer friendly' distros that include the ability to play a lot of the 'propriatary' formats from the git.  Xandros and Linspire are a couple of good examples of this.  I think the best example though is PCLinuxOS. 

Here's a link to their homepage:  <http://www.pclinuxonline.com/news.php> 

PCLinuxOS (PCLOS) has been my 'distro of choice' since I stumbled onto it.  Xandros and Linspire are good, but you really have to install them to your hard drive to really get the full benefit.  Also, they are 'commercial' and while there is nothing inherely 'wrong' with a 'commercial' distro I have never liked the idea of 'buying a pig in a poke' so to speak.  Compared to the price of M$ OS's they are quite reasonable.  But.  Tbere is anotheer way.

PCLOS is one of a multitude of distros that have the ability to run off your CD without being installed to your hard drive.  These are called 'live cd' or some variation.  Important thing is that you don't have to touch your system in any way, shapre, or form to test it out.  Download and burn the image to CD, reboot your system, check it out for a while to see what you think.  If you want you can install it to your system of course, but with a 'live cd' you don't have to.  A huge and significant advantage. 

'Try before you buy' is always better than 'a pig in a poke' for me, and a lot of other folks too.  They accept donations but don't have a fixed price like Xandros and Linspire.  The PCLOS 'community' is a really friendly place to hang out, because all of us remember that at one time we too were 'stone noobs' with no clue. :)  Enough for now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up