INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Media Player 11 and Media Center  (Read 1580 times)

doubrown

• Junior Woodchuck
Windows Media Player 11 and Media Center
« on: May 29, 2006, 08:51:20 pm »

I installed the Media Player 11 Beta. When it runs, it scans the My Music folder and looks up the tag info for the songs. The problem is that it overwrites the exisiting, and in my case correct tags. When Media Center starts up, it picks up the revised tags. I can restore the library, but as soon as I import media, it goes back to the tags written my WMP. Is there anyway to take the tags as stored in the library and apply them to the songs?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Windows Media Player 11 and Media Center
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 04:44:35 am »

Is there anyway to take the tags as stored in the library and apply them to the songs?

You can update file tags from MC's database with the "Update Tags (from library)" library tool.

When Media Center starts up, it picks up the revised tags.

This is not correct. MC does not automatically update library from tags on startup.

... but as soon as I import media, it goes back to the tags written my WMP.

This is correct. MC updates the library on import if the "Update library for external file changes" option is enabled in the advanced import options. You can disable this option if you don't want MC to update previously imported files.

Personally, I wouldn't use a program that automatically alters file tags without any user action. As far as I know WMP10 doesn't do that. Have you checked the WMP11 beta options?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 09:43:51 am »

I'm pretty sure there's an option in WMP11 to prevent it from doing that.

I personally found WMP11 to be a little too invasive for my tastes. I didn't like that I couldn't tell it NOT to monitor the My Music folder. I also found out the hard way that it defaults to deleting files from the hard drive when they're deleted from the library. Between those two "features" it can be a very dangerous app to just want to testdrive.

loki128

• Recent member
  • It's some desu.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 09:25:20 pm »

You can tell it to 'Ignore' the My Music folder in the settings.

Installing WMP11 made the cover art on my Zen Vision:M stop working. Uninstalling it made it work again. I did like the fact that it used the images stored in the tags instead of storing it's own alongside the files as it did with WMP10, but it still disabled certain things - at one point, even Media Center.
Pages: [1]   Go Up