INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: convert from single file + cue to separate files  (Read 2148 times)

Helmchen

• Recent member
convert from single file + cue to separate files
« on: May 29, 2006, 04:55:30 pm »

I want to convert a lossless library with ape-files (complete album with cue) to separate ape-files and i don't find a way to keep my tags. I always get files like album(1).ape, album(2).ape ... with no tags set in the library. I've set the update database option in the convert dialog.

I have no idea how to do this - please give me some hints.

best regards
Holger

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: convert from single file + cue to separate files
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 04:59:05 pm »

I have no idea what your talking about

And i don't drink
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Helmchen

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 05:07:34 pm »

Sorry i don't know how exactly i could describe what i mean in english

i have the following:

artist\album\album.ape
artist\album\album.cue

and i want

artist\album\track 1 - title.ape
artist\album\track 2 - title.ape
artist\album\track 3 - title.ape

but when i try to convert i always get something like this

artist\album\album(1).ape
artist\album\album(3).ape
artist\album\album(3).ape

with no further information in the database, so if i want to have my tags again, i have to edit each file again.

I'm looking for a way to convert the single ape to multiple apes with keeping all the database information.

regards
Holger

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 06:02:55 pm »

Please try MC's Library Tools/Rename files from properties.

Do a few before you do very many.

Helmchen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 01:43:48 am »

That doesn't really do the trick.

renaming from properties only changes the filename in the database and leaves the ape/cue-file untouched

For this to work i have to convert the files, so i have the album(1), album(2), .... files
after that i have to rename the files from properties (the original ape/cue files) that gives me a filename in the database that is very close to that i want. there are leading zeros in front of the track # which i have to remove manually

Another Problem this method has, is that the numbering from the convert-tool isn't the same as the track #. I had to put a file "album.ape to the directory in order to make the convert start numbering with "1". So i have to check if the convert tool did its job in the right order

That's a lot of work for such a "simple" change and a error-prone too

I hope someone knows the easy way :)

regards
Helmchen

BTW: i use Media Center 11.1.185 registered since v9 - great software - this is the first real problem i ever had.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 03:53:22 am »

This is a reported problem, but JRiver has not fixed it yet.

When cue tracks are converted MC uses the filename of the source audio file (like MC normally does when a file is converted from a format to another format) and adds a sequence number to each new converted track file (for avoiding the files to overwrite each other).

The filenames would be easy to fix afterwards if MC would include proper file tags from the library data. Unfortunately it does not do that. MC copies the same identical tags from the source disc image file (if it has any tags) to each new track file.

MC has a mechanism for making correct file tags from the library data when untagged wave files (*) are converted to other formats. MC should use the same mechanism when cue tracks are converted.

Currently the best workaround is to use APL files.

Personally, I rip all new CDs in APE & CUE format, then I make APL link files with MakeAPL (included with the Monkey's Audio software) and tag these APL files with MC. MC has no problems with converting APL files to any supported format (the file tags are preserved).

Usually I convert them to high bitrate lossy track files (MP3, OGG or MPC) and keep these "APE & CUE & APLs" albums only in my offline lossless archive.

* The wave format doesn't have a common standard for tagging. Some programs may apply proprietary tags, but those are not usable with MC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 09:18:30 am »

Personally, I rip all new CDs in APE & CUE format...

Why? What is the advantage of doing it this way? I rip to APEs (sepatate files) and I'm absolutely satisfied. Even MP3 playback can be seamless now so I can't see the point of making one huge file + cue...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 09:43:15 am »

Why? What is the advantage of doing it this way? I rip to APEs (sepatate files) and I'm absolutely satisfied. Even MP3 playback can be seamless now so I can't see the point of making one huge file + cue...

That's not the point. I have hi-bitrate lossy track files in my MC library for listening purposes. The point is to make exact archive backups of my audio CDs. My typical album archive has a disc image ape file, a cue sheet, apl files for MC tags and cover art scans. This post has a screenshot of one of my "backup archives": http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31438.msg216174#msg216174
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 10:10:09 am »

I do make exact archive backups using Exact Audio Copy riping to separate APE files with cue sheet thus I can create (burn) the perfect copy anytime in the future - there is no need for 1 huge image file...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 12:46:10 pm »

Well, one nice thing you can do is make a custom track in the CUE file. For instance, I have one CD, Boston - Walk On that has 4 tracks on it that are really just one continuous song. By keeping the file as one big album-based APE file, I can ultimately create an APL file that combines these 4 tracks into one, which I can use in playlists rather than the seperate APL tracks. Now when I shuffle that playlist, I know that these 4 tracks will always play consecutively. But I also retain the option of using the 4 seperate tracks elsewhere, and give myself the ability to skip to the second or third of these 4 if I want. So it gives me more flexibility than seperate APE files, without chewing up extra drive space.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 01:30:40 pm »

Hmm I see...
Pages: [1]   Go Up