INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with my music file playback after a boot drive replacement, Help!  (Read 1975 times)

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile

Recently I had a boot drive failure and had to replace and rebuild, all my music is on another Data drive and was unplugged while the rebuilding process took place.  Then I reinstalled the music Data drive and it changed the drive letter from F, to E which really messed up the library and made the backups worthless so I simply changed the drive letter back to F and restored a recent backup.

Now for the problems, first and foremost the sound quality that has been severely compromised, or should I say corrupted in some way.  After about five minutes of music (aprox 1-2 songs) I will get stoppage and static sounds intermittently and shortly after pure static, a simple restart will start the cycle over again and it doesn’t seem to care which song file, they all seem to be affected.  My question would be what could be causing this and what is the remedy, I have all but about 15 albums backed-up on an external drive in duplicate and the songs play just fine from there, even through a slow USB 1.1 connection.  I really don’t want to replace all the files because every time I do anything to the files I loose about 50% of my cover art that is stored in “My Documents” since the native cover art finder wont find but half of the cover art by its self.  I guess the second and lest important thing would be to figure out a way to get all the cover art to restore properly from the MC11 backups as I have had to re-attach about 300 cover art images over 3 times this year alone and its getting pretty old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Did you try reinstalling the sound card software?

Did you try switching MC's option for playback between Direct Sound and Wave Out?

Is the music on a USB or Firewire drive? 

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

Did you try reinstalling the sound card software?

Did you try switching MC's option for playback between Direct Sound and Wave Out?

Is the music on a USB or Firewire drive? 

Yes to the first two, I even tried a different slot for the sound card.  Right now the music drive is an standard internal HD plugged into the motherboard on the same cable as the boot drive, IOW, ist the slave drive.

JimH

• Administrator

Check this thread for ideas:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

There are some strange problems caused by other programs.  For example, real time virus checking of all files.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

Thanks for the links, although I don’t think its another program as I haven’t installed anything else yet, the new drive is still fresh and pristine with no virus checking or spy-where or anything on it besides MC10 and MC11 and Main Lobby/Music Lobby.  I am however running the defrag tool which should be complete when I get home from work, so if this woks I will report back.  It is strange that the files from the external drive through the crappy USB 1.1 connection are perfect.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator

There are some hardware problems solved in that thread as well.  Updating drivers for a Maxtor external hard drive, for example.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

This is really starting to scare me now, I've done a complete uninstall and reinstall and removed everything but J rivers.  I've done a check on both drives to make sure they have the latest firmware and analized both drives and defraged, still no playback, the files are good as far as I can tell but J rivers wont play them with out stopping and noise.  Is it possible that the APE encoder is bad?

JimH

• Administrator

Try a couple of other players.  It isn't the files if they work for a few minutes and then stop working.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

Right now I dont have another player that will play .APE files, but I did have a handful of .WAV files on my music drive that never got converted and they all seem to play fine.  Also note that the .APE files will not really play for more then a few seconds before the ugly static noise starts.

JimH

• Administrator

What output mode?  Are you using ASIO? 

Any third party plug-ins?

kingdaddy

• World Citizen

Looks like the change in drive letters or something unknown in the rebuilding of the boot drive has somehow caused corruption in all the .ape music files on the separate music drive, the 10 or so .WAV files are ok, but every .APE file has playback problems and severe tag problems that keep coming back after every reboot.  After replacing one folder from my backup drive, all those files will play properly and will keep the tag info after reboot, so I have decided to rebuild the entire music drive from the backup.  That should keep me busy for the next week.

Thanks for all the help, unfortunately I have to totally rebuild everything to do with my music server to get it working properly and I’ll probably loose some music as my backup was nearly two weeks old and doesn’t have some files on it nor do I have the originals.

BTW:

Direct Mode
M-Audio 2496 delta SPDIF
I have never been able to get the M-Audio ASIO driver to work properly and ASIO4ALL wont work at all for this sound card.
Pages: [1]   Go Up