INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Type?  (Read 1429 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Video Type?
« on: June 09, 2006, 03:09:01 pm »

Is there a special name for Video Type?
By this I mean as follows..
I'm classifying my Video into
x TV
x Films
x Home Video
x Video Podcasts
x Commercials
x etc...

To start with I entered this into Genre, but quickly realised that seemed wrong,
since you can have a Romantic film, or a Romantic TV drama... so genre is mutually exclusive to these.
For the moment I'm settling on "Video Type"
I'm just pondering if there's a more correct term for this?  :)

jgreen

Re: Video Type?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 04:36:28 pm »

If i was doing this (I'm still too lazy to get started on it), I would set up a couple of custom fields for what I see are the menaingful distinctions here.

#1, I would define for "Format".  TV may be NTSC or HDTV (or PAL/SECAM for noncomformists).  Similarly, I would define my films via DVD, HD DVD BDR, etc.  Or, if you've somehow snagged DI files, 2k, 4k, etc. 

#2, I would define for original release venue, which for lack of giving it more thought, I would call "medium".  TV=TV, Film=Theatrical, Pod=Web, Commercials--what in the world are you archiving commercials for? 

At any rate, this more or less falls apart pretty quickly, as soon as you start talking about made-for-TV movies, etc.  So pay no attentiuon to the man behind the curtain.

#3, I would define for "Genre" across all media.  So a film might be "suspense", just as a TV episode might.  Although I would distinguish Episodic from Theatrical format.

Lots of luck, Chief.  Please post your results, as well as any more Hopperesque photos.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 04:55:14 pm »

Commercials--what in the world are you archiving commercials for? 

Haven't you ever seen the 'running with squirrels' or 'cat herding' commercials?

They're ones to keep

info:
the squirrel one is a take on the spansh bull run festival but of course with squirrels
cat hearding is a slight ;) variation on the cowboy cattle runs

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 05:03:20 pm »

Dlone, you're right, of course, and my apologies to ChriZ.  "Hearding Cats" and "Running with the Squirels" were two in a large universe of memorable and hilarious commercials.  IMO, the target IQ of the commercials is far above that of the TV shows they interleave, and that has me scratching my head. 

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 05:30:41 pm »

Lol I've got 300mb's of Commericials, most of which have been banned
because they upset some group or other.
I can remember so many really good ads from years ago
which are now impossible to get hold of, so I decided to start collecting, so as to make sure
in the future they're still around.

It makes a good hours worth of entertainment on there own!

I've gone down the Video Type road for the moment.
I appreciate your good suggestions JGreen though.  So may modify it as time goes by.

One thing where I can't get MC to do precisely what I want is something I'd call Hierarchical Views. (This should probably be implemented using the Advanced Turbo Logic I suggested elsewhere).

http://img200.imageshack.us/my.php?image=advancedturbologic1ik.png

You can see in the image, I now have 5 different custom view schemes for Video.
Ideally given that Video is above these in the tree, when I clicked on Video,
it would show me the different views rather than the content of the views.
You can kind of simulate this in Video by customizing the panes to work by
video type first (as shown in the screenshot), but as soon as you go to the next level.... it's not customized to
lower view... so it all gets a bit messy.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 07:22:09 pm »

I use two custom fields called [Type 1] and [Type 2], which I use across videos, music and images.

Eg type 1 may be film
     type 2 may be bollywood, hollywood, straight to TV, film soundtrack etc

type 1 may be album
     type 2 may be classical album, popular album, film soundtrack etc

That way you can still preserve genre for what it's meant to do (I have similarly set up Genre 1, Genre 2, Genre 3 as well)

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 07:45:58 pm »

Dlone, you're right, of course, and my apologies to ChriZ.  "Herding Cats" and "Running with the Squirels" were two in a large universe of memorable and hilarious commercials.  IMO, the target IQ of the commercials is far above that of the TV shows they interleave, and that has me scratching my head. 

Yeah, it always amazes me about their target audience, but let's be thankful that some good stuff gets through  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up