INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Media Server  (Read 986 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Using Media Server
« on: June 26, 2006, 09:26:38 am »

I would really like to use the media server method for accessing media, if possible, and I need some ideas/assistance.

First, I want to have 4 separate libraries with their own playlists, play counts, ratings, etc.  But, I would like the same database of songs/pictures/video, if possible.  That information remains constant for everyone involved (4).  I think it would be great if I could run the server on my server and then connect to it from my other computers.  Also, I do not want to save ratings in the files.  Is there a quick way to remove this option.  I know you can get to it through the settings page, but that's a lot of digging because I need to do it on a lot of accounts.  This might mean that I would have to run 4 instances on my server, however, if I need a separate running instance of MC for each user.  That would mean I would have to log on to each account, switch user, and start it on the other 3 accounts, too.  That would be quite strange and a pain to setup if I need to restart the server.  Would one running instance somehow let me have multiple user dependent material?  If not, I'm going to return to my old method of just storing the library database on the server and selecting it from each user account.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Using Media Server
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 10:45:32 am »

I'm not sure Library Server is the right tool for this. It sounds like it might be better to share the files with Windows Networking, and have each of the 4 libraries live on it's own computer...

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up