INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Sync Issues  (Read 1403 times)

Pantone81

• Recent member
Media Server Sync Issues
« on: July 05, 2006, 03:46:52 pm »

New user here,

I've been using JR MC 11.1 for about a month now and absolutely love all the great features. We have about 5 computers on our home network and were trying to set up the JR MC Library Server so that we dont have to do individual setups for each computer.

Problem... we got everything set up perfect, just the way we like it. I sat down with a cup of tea and went to start creating some playlists to sync to my 30gb Video iPod and when I went to sync, every single file that was set to transfer (I only requested selected playlists to be transferred) came up with "File Not Supported". I'm using one of the client computers to do this, and I know that the files are supported because they're files that I had previously transferred to my iPod using MC before we set up the Library Server and they had worked just fine.

So... whats a guy to do? I'm lost, I've tried formatting my iPod, checked all the settings that I can think of, but can find nothing in this forum that even remotely resembles this problem.

Really loving the software, but just needing it to work.

Pantone

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server Sync Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 04:53:19 pm »

It isn't possible to sync files that are on the server from a client.  Is that what you mean?

Pantone81

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 06:01:07 pm »

Yea I think so. The Media Server has been set up and I've imported all the media on the server. The Media Server is running and I am using the client downstairs to access the files through MC. I can play the files fine through MC, but when I create some playlists and set them up to be exported to my iPod, all the files in the playlist come up as filetype not supported.

I know these files are because before we set it up as Media Server, it worked fine. I tried plugging my iPod into the computer running MC set up as the media server, but for some reason as soon as I plug the ipod in, the whole system halts.

But that still doesn't explain why the files in my playlists that I'm trying to sync to my iPod keep coming up as filetype not supported.

Matt.

P.S. Thank you for replying. I appreciate it.

Pantone81

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 08:10:57 pm »

So does anyone have an answer to my dilema?

Pantone81

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 05:46:26 am »

Hey there...

I've been scouring through some other posts and found something along the lines of what I need.

I seems that I misunderstood the (one) reply that I got. So... okay... jriver can't sync files shared through a library server.

I'm wondering then. Is there a way around this. Some update or third party solution that would enable this. If I'm using a third party software there is not liability for jriver (as long as they didn't make it). I would then be on my head if anyone started stealing files from my library.

It is unfortunate that a company can't put useful features into their software because of some peoples bad habits. So... I'm hoping someone knows a way around this.

msnell

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 09:39:38 am »

I haven't played around with the Library server, but I have been using another method to synch my 2 PC's for quite some time.

I simply backup the library from one Media Center and restore it on the other. In order for this to work you need your drive mapping to your media content to be the same on each PC. It's not automatic, but it works for my purposes and maintains full functionality on both PC's.

Pantone81

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 04:38:40 am »

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

I ended up just taking some extra time to set them all up separately.

I had thought of the backup process, but I didn't like the manual process of it all. So I thought if I've got to set it up manually, and they're all linked to the same drives on the server anyway, it wasn't worth the trouble.

So until someone comes out with the plugin to change the library server system, then I'll stick with what I've got.

Thanks again

Pantone
Pages: [1]   Go Up