INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipod learning  (Read 3529 times)

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
ipod learning
« on: July 13, 2006, 02:32:09 am »

I've had my ipod for a few weeks now.  I've deleted iTunes and use MediaCenter for most things related to the ipod.  I have purchased "Anapod" to help me manage the iPod, it integrates the iPod right into Windows Explorer.

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/

I do notice that while tracks are being converted from APE to MP3 and uploaded to the iPod, that I can't "see" the tracks on the iPod (using Anapod) until the iPod is "ejected"  In fact there have been a couple of times where MediaCenter has spent HOURS converting and uploading music and then I don't eject right or something and the iPod has none of the tracks....  I wonder if it would be better if MediaCenter did some kind of "commit" after doing  some number of tracks to prevent a total loss of work in case of an error.

One really cool thing is how MediaCenter updates the playback stats on connect, even when the formats are different, it updates my APE files with changes made to the iPod MP3 files, pretty neat.

iTunes is so lame (for Windows anyway), I think I would have returned the iPod if that was all I had to manage it.  How did I ever live without MediaCenter?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: ipod learning
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 06:57:43 am »

What version do you have?  You can copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

11.1.188 is the latest, available on the MC board.

LonWar

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 09:12:21 am »

I've had my ipod for a few weeks now.  I've deleted iTunes and use MediaCenter for most things related to the ipod.  I have purchased "Anapod" to help me manage the iPod, it integrates the iPod right into Windows Explorer.

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/

I do notice that while tracks are being converted from APE to MP3 and uploaded to the iPod, that I can't "see" the tracks on the iPod (using Anapod) until the iPod is "ejected"  In fact there have been a couple of times where MediaCenter has spent HOURS converting and uploading music and then I don't eject right or something and the iPod has none of the tracks....  I wonder if it would be better if MediaCenter did some kind of "commit" after doing  some number of tracks to prevent a total loss of work in case of an error.

One really cool thing is how MediaCenter updates the playback stats on connect, even when the formats are different, it updates my APE files with changes made to the iPod MP3 files, pretty neat.

iTunes is so lame (for Windows anyway), I think I would have returned the iPod if that was all I had to manage it.  How did I ever live without MediaCenter?

I bought Anapod because at the time MC didn't do cover art. Since MC11 I have uninstalled Anapod and only use MC. I found that because Anapod doesn't keep a Library, it takes forever to sync librarys.

What does Anapod have that MC doesn't have?
-

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 11:08:17 am »

What version do you have?  You can copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

11.1.188 is the latest, available on the MC board.

I'm not at home now to post my system info, but I am running 11.1.188.

I've lost converted tracks more than once, so that I've started converting/uploading in smaller chunks and then doing a proper eject and reconnect between smaller groups of tracks to avoid taking a chance on losing a huge chunk in case of an error.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 11:11:54 am »

I bought Anapod because at the time MC didn't do cover art. Since MC11 I have uninstalled Anapod and only use MC. I found that because Anapod doesn't keep a Library, it takes forever to sync librarys.

What does Anapod have that MC doesn't have?

Can I copy tracks FROM the ipod to a dir on my hard disk using MC?  If I can, let me know, there is always things I find MC does that I don't know about...

But so far, I use Anapod to copy mp3 files back from the ipod to a dir on my hard disk for "backup" in case I need to reset the ipod or something.  Since my music is all stored as APE for MC playback, and since it takes DAYS to fill up the iPod, I want backup copies of the converted mp3 files, just in case.

The whole concept of a handheld is new to me, so I'm still figuring out how I can manage it, and how I want to manage it.

LonWar

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 11:49:16 am »

I believe you can. I can double check when I get home tonight.

Maybe someone that has there Ipod with them can double check?

-

LonWar

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 07:39:34 pm »

Can I copy tracks FROM the ipod to a dir on my hard disk using MC?  If I can, let me know, there is always things I find MC does that I don't know about...

But so far, I use Anapod to copy mp3 files back from the ipod to a dir on my hard disk for "backup" in case I need to reset the ipod or something.  Since my music is all stored as APE for MC playback, and since it takes DAYS to fill up the iPod, I want backup copies of the converted mp3 files, just in case.

The whole concept of a handheld is new to me, so I'm still figuring out how I can manage it, and how I want to manage it.

Yes,
-

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 08:49:11 pm »

LonWar

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 09:03:02 pm »

Drag and Drop...

-

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 03:16:53 am »

Sorry for asking, I won't ask for any help again.  You win.

LonWar

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 09:06:12 pm »

Sorry for asking, I won't ask for any help again.  You win.

HUH??

I'm sorry you took my answers the wrong way.

When you have your iPod plugged in, display the tracks, wick the ones that you want on your computer and drag and drop them to your computer...

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to do?
If you are only trying to copy tracks from the pod to your computer, you only need to drag and drop them.

-

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 11:32:21 am »

Since my music is all stored as APE for MC playback, and since it takes DAYS to fill up the iPod, I want backup copies of the converted mp3 files, just in case.

What kind of hardware are you running?  I have  a 60GB iPod, and have all my CD's ripped to APE files.   I finally gave up on all the 'work arounds' of managing two separate libraries (one APE, one MP3) and just let MC convert everything on the fly as needed.  With about 3300 APE files currently being converted on a re-load (I don't put duplicate or unliked songs on the iPod) it does need to run overnight, but 'days' seems a bit long.

There isn't really a good way right now of managing APE files for storage and MP3 files for portables.

Also gamer is right, you can just drag the music from in MC to the desktop or a folder and it will copy the file off of the iPod.

LonWar

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 03:52:09 pm »

I keep all my music on ape and mp3.

I rip in ape, convert to mp3.
I have a field called mp3, and it's either "Y" or Empty, If it's empty I know I have to convert it. It's not perfect, but it's easy for my to keep track of it.
-

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 06:15:56 pm »

I keep all my music on ape and mp3.

I rip in ape, convert to mp3.
I have a field called mp3, and it's either "Y" or Empty, If it's empty I know I have to convert it. It's not perfect, but it's easy for my to keep track of it.

I tried that, but for now I have too much clean up to do on my files.  I've just about finished getting the album art attached to the files, but the ratings have a long way to go.  I sync all unrated songs to the iPod, so I can rate them while out of town and update my library when I get back home.  There are ways to do this with two separate libraries, but they were too much of a hassle (for me) as opposed to just occasionally having to do a full re-sync.

Maybe the next release will solve this with caching or versioning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up