INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD submission dialog  (Read 1939 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
CD submission dialog
« on: July 17, 2006, 11:58:28 am »

Hi,

I am wondering if there is any way to manually bring up the CD submission dialog. Due to various weird bugs, I have noticed that auto-rip mode with yadb online look up enabled often does not bring this dialog up for some CDs. If there was a way I could manually bring up this dialog, it would be great.

thanks,
Osho

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: CD submission dialog
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:41:53 pm »

Put the CD in the drive, and make sure it is correctly tagged.
Then right click and choose "Submit CD to Database", this will submit it to YADB.

Thanks,

j

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 12:46:39 pm »

Put the CD in the drive, and make sure it is correctly tagged.
Then right click and choose "Submit CD to Database", this will submit it to YADB.

Thanks,

j

I don't have the CD correctly tagged. I want to correctly tag it. I find using the CD submission dialog a lot more usable than the Tag Info action window (or directly editing each track in the list of tracks).

It would be nice if I can right click on the CD and select "Show CD submission dialog".

On a related note, I often find that when yadb online lookup succeeds, I am not happy with its entry. It would be good if I was optionally shown this CD submission dialog even when the yadb online lookup succeeds and am given an opportunity to accept it or change it and then accept it.

thanks,
Osho

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 12:51:22 pm »

I find using the CD submission dialog a lot more usable than ... directly editing each track in the list of tracks.
When you edit track names there, you can hit the down arrow instead of enter and MC will advance to the next track name.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 01:58:15 pm »

When you edit track names there, you can hit the down arrow instead of enter and MC will advance to the next track name.
I know that. Still I have to do different things for updating album names, genres, artist, years (select all tracks) and enter the info in the tag info window on the left and for updating individual track information (track title at least if not the artist for the multiple artist CDs).

I find the CD submission dialog entry very well designed and streamline. Perfect for ripping huge number of CDs. I am in the process of ripping about 300 CDs - most of which are not in YADB (East Indian Classical and Indian movies CDs). Based on my extensive manual information entering exercise, I would really like to see something like the following:

• Whenever I enter a CD in the auto-rip mode, YADB online lookup is done.
  • If a match is found in YADB mode, that information is put in the CD submission dialog box and that dialog box is presented to the user.
    • If the user is satisfied with the data, user clicks OK and the ripping starts.
    • If the user is not satisfied with the data (often the genre, spelling and capitalization of first letter of each work in various fields is not consistent), user can change it and then click on OK. This can optionally submit entry to YADB again. And the ripping should start.
  • If the match is not found in YADB mode, the user is presented the CD submission dialog box.
  • User enters the information in the CD submission dialog box and clicks OK. Data is submitted to YADB and ripping starts automatically. There really is no need to make user click on one more OK button on a message box which says CD information was submitted successfully to yadb. That message box with OK button is unnecessary and annoying.

I have found that yadb online lookup and subsequent auto-rip process does not happen with 100% consistency. It depends on multiple factors.

• whether MC is open.
  • whether MC server is running
  • whether this CD was inserted previously. I am not 100% sure about this but I have had cases where I insert a CD, it starts auto-ripping with all the title/track information set to Unknown. I cancel the auto-rip. Remove the CD and then reinsert the CD, hoping that the whole auto-rip process will start again. Nothing happens. I have to click on the Drive Icon under "Drives and Device" at which point I can never get the CD submission dialog box. I have to enter information through "Tag info" and the "Track List".

Sorry for the long post but just some feedback after hours of ripping CDs with MC.
Osho

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 02:40:47 pm »

Thanks for the ideas, they fit in with some stuff I've been thinking about.

j

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 08:32:31 pm »

A related bug report regarding the auto-yadb-lookup and auto-rip process:

If for whatever reason YADB lookup fails (network connection problem or yadb may be down - this was happenning to me 10 minutes ago), I would not get the CD submission dialog box. MC will go on to ripping it directly and will ask me "No track information is available, do you still want to rip?".

I think it should ask me to enter the information manually, shouldn't it?

Osho

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 12:18:18 am »

Another bug report with the auto-rip (with auto-yadb-look up ) process:

I notice that when I am ripping a bunch of CDs with auto-rip enabled, I have to restart MC after every 2 CD rips. This is  what happens.

1. MC is not running.
2. I insert the first CD. MC starts, does yadb lookup and proceeds with auto-rip process just fine.
3. First CD is ripped. I don't close MC down.
4. MC is running now. I enter the second CD. It does yadb lookup and proceeds with auto-rip process just fine.
5. Second CD is ripped. I don't close MC down.
6. I enter the third CD. Nothing happens. No "Gather information..." dialog box, no yadb lookup, no auto rip. Nothing.

At this point, I have to close MC and start from Step 1. Very annoying.

I am using 11.1.188 (current latest version) on Windows XP Pro. Let me know if you need detailed system information.

thanks,
Osho
Pages: [1]   Go Up