INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11 hangs during installation of plugins  (Read 1763 times)

Wintings

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
MC 11 hangs during installation of plugins
« on: July 21, 2006, 07:50:05 am »

I am trying to install the latest version of MC 11 but the installation hangs at the stage where it says; "Installing plugin 'MJ DSP'". The only way I can get out of it is to open Windows Task Manager|Processes and close "Package Installer.exe". The plugin installation process then continues for a while but freezes again on several (but not all)  of the other plugins.

Can anyone please tell me how to complete the installation process without this error? At present, when I double-click on the MC icon on my desktop, nothing happens. And the same if I click on one of my mp3 files in Windows Explorer. So obviously the program is not properly installed.

I should add that I tried uninstalling MC and then reinstalling it but it still froze at the plugin installation stage. (I am running Win XP Pro SP2 and IE 6.)
There 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary notation and those who don't

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 11 hangs during installation of plugins
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 08:11:14 am »

There are some install problems in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24031;start=0

Also, IE7 beta has been causing problems.  There's a thread on this board.

Wintings

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 12:47:22 pm »

Thanks. Nothing in those threads seemed to help.

However, in the meantime I have solved the problem myself. I logged on as Administrator in Safe Mode (although my normal logon also has full administrator rights) and installed MC from there. The program installed with no problems so I'm now back up and running.

This tip may be useful for others with similar problems.
There 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary notation and those who don't

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 12:48:19 pm »

It's likely that it was virus protection software or similar that caused the problem.

Wintings

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 03:36:13 am »

It's likely that it was virus protection software or similar that caused the problem.

Hmmmm, you may be right but I disabled (but didn't uninstall) all my anti-virus/spyware programs before trying to install MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 07:24:08 am »

Hmmmm, you may be right but I disabled (but didn't uninstall) all my anti-virus/spyware programs before trying to install MC.
We've seen problems in the past (though not recently) with software that had to be uninstalled, not just disabled.  Zonealarm, I think was one.

If you learn what it is, please post.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 07:36:32 am »

Zonealarm, I think was one.
And Norton Anti-Virus
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Wintings

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 04:33:22 am »

We've seen problems in the past (though not recently) with software that had to be uninstalled, not just disabled.  Zonealarm, I think was one.

If you learn what it is, please post.

OK, will do, but as everything is running OK at the moment I am not going to start messing with things! For info, I am using ZoneAlarm Pro firewall, my anti-virus is Kaspersky and I am using Spyware Doctor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up