INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running server for MP101's  (Read 1139 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Running server for MP101's
« on: July 21, 2006, 11:52:28 am »

I want to run the UPnP server for my 4 MP101 boxes but have some issues.  First, I want all of my 4 family members playlists available through the menu structure on the players.  One quick way I think may work but also a bad way would be for me to run all four accounts on my server, open the software, and run the server.  This way, the MP101's would ask which server to connect to and I think that may work but would require switch users and a lot of overhead I think.

Another issue if I followed that model would be about how the database would update?  This is a general question I have always wondered:  if I am running MC on two separate computers pointing at the same MC database file on a central server, how do the database updates work?  If one is opened and left alone then the second opens, makes a lot of changes and closes, then what if the first computer made a small change and closed?  Would it merely overwrite the changes by the second computer?  Or does it do some checking to see if the database has changed since it cached it?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: Running server for MP101's
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 01:24:04 pm »

Run a single server, all the MP101 can access that one, then there are no problems with multiple computers writing to the DB at the same time (don't do that).

j

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 02:19:09 pm »

The problem is that I want all 4 database's playlists available on the MP101's.  Is there a way to run the server AND pull the playlists in from other databases?  Plus, if I run MC with my account so I see my playlists, then I will open MC on my desktop and run into the writing issues.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 02:45:00 pm »

There is no way to server multiple database at the same time.

With the UPnP server, there are no writing issues - the only things that are changed are playcounts and last played dates, and these are written without corrupting the DB.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up