INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO Question  (Read 1067 times)

Lynn

ASIO Question
« on: September 13, 2002, 04:46:55 pm »

Hi,

I am using MJ as a digital front end for my hifi using an RME digital card.  

I recently switched the MJ setting from Wave to ASIO, and to me it seems the sound is cleaner and more detailed. The RME driver is set to ASIO 32 bit.  Although the RME can output SPDIF up to 24/96, I have the SPDIF external setting at 24/44.  

Is it possible that ASIO can improve the output of the RME SPDIF?

Thanks,
Lynn

Phat Phreddy

RE:ASIO Question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2002, 02:10:13 am »

Nice soundcard....

Yes thats the idea with ASIO.. Unfortunately and WDM compliant driver model (2k / XP) runs all sound through the KMixer (KMangler) which results in resampling the sound in a imperfect way... Without ASIO and until this is fixed by MS then anything other than ASIO does not result in bit perfect CD / APE / WAV output... I would doubt that this is of interest to MP3 users but for lossless formats on a transparent and resolving sound setup it is...

Lynn

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2002, 11:37:59 am »

Hi,

Most of the source material is APE, not MP3.  

Thanks for the feedback, I knew someone in this forum would have the answer!

Lynn

Mike|PLS|Noe

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2002, 05:26:59 pm »

Lynn:
I have a similar setup as you (RME Digi96/8PST).  I have found significant differences using ASIO.  This was posted in another thread but if you haven't seen it, take a look, gives some details that are helpful:

Windows Audio Tech Data

stalag131

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2002, 12:06:31 pm »

Lynn, what's your setup?  XP?  Do dts cd's work through MJ?  How's the drivers?  Any problems with internet radio or gaming?  Most importantly, how's the sound?

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2002, 09:09:59 pm »

While I cant answer Lynns questions I can say a few things...

First off how do they sound ?? Apparently very very goog... Theta Good !! Here is an AVS review http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164109&highlight=theta|PLS|rme and just for kicks here is an M-Audio 410 and 1010 review http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0802/aachapter36.htm I am trying to get Bill and Ego Sys rack for evaluation too...

DTS CD's will not work through MJ as they have no DTS or DD decoders with this app... There is an aditional issue with Windows and DTS redbook CD's but I think RME and Ego Sys work while M-Audio are working on it... Of course if you rip the VOB's to HD then you can use a SW DVD player to play them... If you want more info mail me...

Net radio should be no problem but gaming may be less well supported as the target market is not the soundblaster crown... Though i dont own one the general idea I get is that direct sound analogue usually works but the EAX stuff is touch and go... you could always have a motherboard with SB compatible built in cpabilities and enable / disable cards via reboots for the best of all worlds... Not perfect but it depends on your gaming / audio needs...

Personally I would love an RME card (though I am dieing to find out what people think of Ego-Sys racks) but until my amps are more resolving (soon my pretty... soon) it is not worth me spending money like this...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up