INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are these three features available?  (Read 1979 times)

Henrie

Are these three features available?
« on: August 05, 2006, 08:45:39 am »

I just tried to install the trial version of MC11.1 but when i start it it says it is beyond the 30 day trial period. I guess this is because i have tried MC9 a long time ago (2 years or so) and i let that expire (some setting in the registry must tell it that it has been installed that long ago because the old version is no longer present on my system).
I thought the program was great but i did not buy MC9 then because i missed three features (or i could not find them). That's why I wanted to try MC11.1 now that i stumbled upon the software again when browsing the internet.

Can someone tell me if these features are present in MC11.1 (or will be in MC12 because i read in the forum that version 12 is under development).
  • The possibility to edit mp3 tags version 1 and 2 seperately. As I remember the version 1 tag was just the version 2 tag being cut short after the max number of characters, which led to the name tag description for some files
  • When files were located on removable media (such as cd or dvd) it asks if i want to try again or cancel, which is great by the way. I could not find an option to cancel all or an option to skip music automatically which is not present. I ask this because I sometimes just want to play some music at random but when it encountered a file which was not present it just stopped until i pressed the right button (and it just should go on playing, skipping the file without user interaction).
  • Possibility to change language to my own native language (dutch).

I hope someone can answer my questions (i also would like to try this new version of MC but i don't know what to do so i can get past the 30 day trial).

Henrie.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Are these three features available?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 09:04:42 am »

Check your PC's system date.

Henrie

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 10:02:47 am »

My system's date is Aug 05, 2006 (so it's the current date).
But I don't know what influence the current date could have?

Now that i think about it, i have tried to install version 10 some time ago (don't know when exactly) and i got the expired message then also.

Greetings,
Henrie

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 10:27:38 am »

[li]The possibility to edit mp3 tags version 1 and 2 seperately. As I remember the version 1 tag was just the version 2 tag being cut short after the max number of characters, which led to the name tag description for some files[/li]

Just looked at this on some tracks I recently did a 'remove all tags', 'add tags from library'.  Best I can tell there are no individual options to set v1 vs v2 tags and it still does what you are talking about above.  It still writes the v1 tag and truncates it.  Don't see a way to disable v1 tag updating so you could manage those via a separate program, or a way to view/edit v1 and v2 tags separately in MC>

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 10:56:18 am »

and for your other points:

there is a dutch language option.

avoid the cd\dvd problem by simply not importing those files.
MC only needs to read the cd\dvd once and it will catalogue its contents in a seperate cd\dvd database. This is kept seperate from the main database, thus avoiding the situation you talk about completely.

-marko.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 11:24:39 am »

Just looked at this on some tracks I recently did a 'remove all tags', 'add tags from library'.  Best I can tell there are no individual options to set v1 vs v2 tags and it still does what you are talking about above.  It still writes the v1 tag and truncates it.  Don't see a way to disable v1 tag updating so you could manage those via a separate program, or a way to view/edit v1 and v2 tags separately in MC>

Actually, you can set the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tag saving options separately in Plug-in Manager > Input > MP3 Plugin > Configure.

The ID3v1 options are:
- Save (create if necessary)
- Save (if file has existing ID3v1 tag)
- Don't Save (ignore existing)
- Don't Save (remove existing)

The ID3v2 options are:
- Save (create if necessary)
- Save (if file has existing ID3v2 tag)
- Don't Save (ignore existing)
- Don't Save (remove existing)

For example, it is possible to save ID3v1 first and then change the plug-in options and save different ID3v2.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Henrie

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 11:34:20 am »

@Marko
avoid the cd\dvd problem by simply not importing those files.
MC only needs to read the cd\dvd once and it will catalogue its contents in a seperate cd\dvd database.
When i use this option can i still select an artist and album in a list and click on the file to start it and the program will prompt to insert the disk with labelname? Or will this method only recognise a cd/dvd when it is inserted.

I ask this because I have several dvd's with mp3's/wma/ogg files and i don't have written which artists are on it. I now use an excel datasheet to search the song of the artist and then take the right dvd and insert it in my computer. I would like to do that from within my music player software and not use an external program as i now do.

@Alex B
For example, it is possible to save ID3v1 first and then change the plug-in options and save different ID3v2.
I would like to do it the other way around. Now I use WinAmp to create separate id3 tags.  I create/edit the id3v2 tag and click the copy to id3v1 setting and only change the id3v1 tag when it is not good enough.

But if I understand you correctly I am not able to see the id3v1 tag and the id3v2 tag separately from within Media Center and can also not edit them separately (at least not without some workaround).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 11:50:54 am »

You can easily exclude any removable media from the main Audio tree branch with MC's exclusion rules. The CDs don't show up there by default.

Likewise you can easily make the CD database visible as a separate category. I have posted instructions for that in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31061.0.
MC will prompt if the disc is not in the drive on a playback attempt.

Also, it is possible to make separate view schemes for other removable drives.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 12:01:54 pm »

And yes, re. your dvd question, if the files on the discs are tagged, MC will track their contents.

v11.1 does not have default access to the cd\dvd database, so use the thread AlexB has pointed you to to create your own. From there, everything should be pretty intuitive.

My cds and dvds are labelled with really heavy detail, such as "Ape-1" and "Ape-2"... without MC, I wouldn't have a clue what was on each disc :D

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 12:16:47 pm »

I would like to do it the other way around. Now I use WinAmp to create separate id3 tags. I create/edit the id3v2 tag and click the copy to id3v1 setting and only change the id3v1 tag when it is not good enough.

But if I understand you correctly I am not able to see the id3v1 tag and the id3v2 tag separately from within Media Center and can also not edit them separately (at least not without some workaround).

You can see both the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tag contents separately in MC's Action Window > File Properties > File Type info. You cannot edit the tags separately at the same time exactly like Winamp can.

But where do you exactly use these ID3v1 tags? I used Winamp before I found JRiver's Media Jukebox over four years ago. Even then I had no reason for editing the ID3v1 tags separately.
The truncated version has been enough for me with some devices that can show only ID3v1. Usually these devices have very limited capacity and functions anyway.

IMHO, Winamp's tag panel is a relic from historical times. It has only a few available ID3v2 tags. MC has a different approach to the file organization. It has an excellent database and it can handle most file handling needs from inside the program. Physical file tags are actually not needed, but naturally MC can keep them up-to-date automatically.

Henrie

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 01:29:27 pm »

I use id3v1 tags on my car radio-cd-mp3/wma player and my portable mp3/wma-cd player which both (unfortunately) do not support id3-v2 tags.

All your answers helped a lot, i think MC 11.1 does have all the features i need. I now would need a possibility to test the latest version of Media Center. Because I'm not going to buy software i have not tested first.
So is there a way that i can test the software (i now get the 30 day trial expired message as mentioned in my first post).

Greetings,
Henrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up