INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Perfect Device Would Look Like ...  (Read 3320 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
The Perfect Device Would Look Like ...
« on: August 12, 2006, 06:27:07 pm »

Maybe it should be a cell phone.  Here's my list.  What else is missing?

Bluetooth for headphones, Bluetooth or wireless for sync
TV solution (DVB-T)
Car-Sync
Lossless support -- APE, FLAC, WM, Apple
iPod connector

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: The Perfect Device Would Look Like ...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 10:47:35 pm »

Long battery life.
Line out. (for non-Apple)
Supports protected Windows and Apple Files.
Sharp color screen that supports Album Art.

and...
Works perfectly with MC !!!

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 12:23:36 am »

Show Track Numbers... (ipod's don't)

Add an optional A-Z Artist drill down to find Artists (like we can set up in the MC panes)

ferent

• Galactic Citizen
  • Go to Linux
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 09:42:07 am »

Cover-Art
Support Ogg
Go to linux

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 04:55:45 pm »

in a perfect world, you would be able to make changes to playlists and other tags on the iPod that would synch with your MC playlist tags. 
johnh

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 02:31:31 pm »

My i-mate jamin (aka: o2 xda neo, qtek s200, htc prophet, dopod 818pro) is the closest i have found to a perfect device.

With a 4gb sd card its a pretty good mp3 player  (around 15 hours playback, wired phones, volume at 100%, 200+kbs bitrate). Would be really cool if mc(12) could sync to wmp mobile db and read playcount from device... (Or a MC mobile that could be used as a standalone mediaplayer on the road(as mobile networks becomes faster even playback from home computer) and be a remote over wifi to control htpc or simmilar when at home?)

I used it alot with a bluetooth gps this summer when driving around in spain, "saved my life" when trying to get around in the narrow streets of seville :)

Things that could be better:

1. A wifi chip that did not suck the battery dry.

2. 3g

3. Built in gps.

4. A bit smaller so it vould fit better in my pockets.

5. Updated bluetooth with native a2dp

6. Faster cpu an more ram.

7. better battery.

(I used to think my iPod was the coolest think ever until it broke and I called Apple "support".
There is actually a pretty good song about Apple "support" by The Rakes called Itrouble)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 12:21:07 am »

(I used to think my iPod was the coolest think ever until it broke and I called Apple "support".
There is actually a pretty good song about Apple "support" by The Rakes called Itrouble)

I’ve found Apple support to be pretty good – both via phone and going into the stores.

My bigger issue is why do they fail, but they have gotten much better with the later models.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 10:58:49 am »

It been over a year since i gave up on my iPod after having spent too much time trying to send it back for repair(still under waranty). Ipods was great back then, but today it makes more sense for me to bring my music/media in my phone.
Only one device to charge and synch is just more convinient.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 11:36:47 am »

I now have the 60gb 5G iPod.  Much more reliable than the older models.  Also, battery life is much better.

To a large degree it depnds on what you are looking for.  I have 13,000 tracks on my iPod.  Much more than will fit on the smaller devices (phone - etc).  You can't listen to 13,000 tracks - too much - but if you travel alot you have a large library to choose from while on the plane & never have to plan ahead regarding what to download.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 05:35:27 pm »

I now have the 60gb 5G iPod.  Much more reliable than the older models.  Also, battery life is much better.

To a large degree it depnds on what you are looking for.  I have 13,000 tracks on my iPod.  Much more than will fit on the smaller devices (phone - etc).  You can't listen to 13,000 tracks - too much - but if you travel alot you have a large library to choose from while on the plane & never have to plan ahead regarding what to download.

Ok, but on longer journeys I bring my laptop (so that i can watch video as well). I charge and synch my phone every day. But I see that people with medium sized collections can use the 60gb iPods to back up.

I have around 70,000 files in my music library, and I have found that my listening habits go in cycles so I can bring most of the stuff I need with me, but until someone comes up a 1Tb mobile device I have to sync anyway. I add new stuff all the time and the only way I can find time to actually listen to everything is by synching my to my phone. Wireless bluetooth headphones is also keeping everything nice and easy. The only thing I'm missing is to be able to sync playcounts (and ratings) from WMP mobile to MC.

I understand iPods are great for some people.  To me they are sooo 2000-2005. And I believe the era of the iPod is about to end.  And who is going to buy a Zune and rent their music (I guess the answer is 3 milllon americans)?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 06:08:38 pm »

Well, this version of the iPod will last for awhile.  When it's time to replace it I'll explore all options.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 08:31:55 am »

I like the ipod. it still beats all the smaller flash based devices for me due to the fact that your listening history and ratings also get synched to you main library.

The one qualm i have about getting a new one, is the headphones and firewire ports. On both ipods i've owned (20gb audio only model & now an ipod mini), these ports consistently went bad, a couple of times in warranty, and once just a week out of warranty.

That makes me very nervous about getting another one. The essential design of them looks pretty similar to me.

LonWar

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 02:45:36 pm »

I would like to see a bigger hard drive...

60GB and I'm still picking and choosing...

200GB would be nice, and the abilility to configure the Play Screen, Kinda like MC's Playing Now.;
-

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 05:52:34 pm »

Show Track Numbers... (ipod's don't)

Add an optional A-Z Artist drill down to find Artists (like we can set up in the MC panes)

You might want to look into the Rockbox firmware for iPods (www.Rockbox.org.)  This offers a LOT of the things that the iPod doesn't offer natively.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 05:57:55 pm »

I actually DON'T like some aspects of the "all in one" approach.  For example, I like a slightly larger screen for a media device, but I don't want my phone to have a screen this large since I'd rather the phone be smaller.  I also don't like the fact that real small devices have such crappy headphone amps due to the limited size.  I'd rather sacrifice a little size for a more powerful amp, and a longer lasting battery.

Larry

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 03:29:32 am »

I have "High End" headphones(Beyerdynamic 990dt pro) that I use with my home system, and even a pair of etymotic er5i that I used with my old ipod.

I must admit that the headphone amp on my jamin could be better. I use bluetooth headphones most of the time so don't really care. Audiophiles will always prefer a dedicated audio device and a dedicated amp.

As long as the phone/device fits in my pockets im happy.
I really like the big touchscreen (2,8 inch). The "less buttons, more screen" approach is fine by me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up