INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Registration that no longer works  (Read 2361 times)

Crater1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Help with Registration that no longer works
« on: August 21, 2006, 10:32:34 pm »

I have Media Jukebox 8.0.4. Paid for registering many years ago. Have my latest license (rrg file) which is/was good for version 8. I can no longer use advanced features becasue I get a message saying that my 30 day trial period had expired. I do a restore and receive a suscessful license restore message but still can't use the advanced features and the Registration Info in Help tells me that the product is unregistered. I can find no way of contacting anyone from JRiver on the web but their web site gives a way to recover a license. Since the Registration Code is coded in the file, I can not enter it even though I can see the content. So I use the "we can e-mail it to you" option which asks for my email address. The system won't accept my email address as valid even though it is the same as the email address in the Registration file and the same email address that was used to email me my receipt and "software unlocked" notice after purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Garry
nospam_Crater1@aol.com

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help with Registration that no longer works
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 06:06:51 am »

Is your PC system date correct?

More info is here:
http://www.mediajukebox.com/buy_faq_8.html

E-mail failure may be related to a spam filter on your PC or at your ISP.

Try updating MJ to 8.0.400.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:49:46 am »

Did you purchase MJ7 or MJ 8? I think you purchased MJ 7 which gives a RRG file, and not MJ8.
The MJ7 license is valid for MC8, but it is not part of our automated purchase/restoral system.
That's why the e-mail address is not valid and you cannot enter your registration code.

Make sure you have permission to write to the registry.

j

Crater1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 11:09:17 am »

I have permission to write to the registry. And yes the latest license was for version 7 which, as I understand it, should give the right to use version 8.

This problem is reoccurring. I use MJ8 for a project then don’t get into it for some time. Then when I use it next it won’t let me use advanced features because my “trial period” has ended. So, I try to restore the license and get a message that it has been restored but still can’t use the advanced features and keep getting the “trial period has ended” message.

I haven’t changed computers or anything unusual. So, can you give me a fix or email me directly so that I can send you my license/registration number directly so that you can email me an unlock code or something that will fix this problem. I hate wasting your and my time with this.

Thank you (I hope),

Garry

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 03:23:24 pm »

you need to install MJ7 then register it using your registration that you should have backed up on a floppy (your rrg file), then install MJ8 this should allow MJ8 to continue to work
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 03:35:20 pm »

Hopefully you have the license file. MJ7 is still available here: ftp.jriver.com//pub/downloads/music/old/MediaJukebox72.exe

Here's the MJ7 license FAQ: http://www.mediajukebox.com/buy_faq_7.html. According to the FAQ JRiver doesn't have an archive of those old licenses (MJ7.x and older). Customers were advised to backup the license file. As already said, the online restore system works only from the version MJ8 upwards (MJ8 was released over four years ago.)

I would recommend trying JRiver's current program, Media Center 11.1. It is far superior to MJ8 in all areas. It has a 30-day try out period. A trial has all program features available until it expires if not purchased.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Crater1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 07:50:30 pm »

I have tried to be very clear but apparently we are not communicating well. Let's take it step by step.

Yes I have the license file for MJ7. I backed it up as told to do by JRiver. That license, as conveyed to me by JRiver, permits me to use MJ8 so I am unsure why you are giving me links to MJ7 information. I want my MJ8 to work like it used to before it discarded my license. That was the deal (I paid for the program, registered it, updated it until it was no longer supported, but was told that I could update to MJ8 and that my last MJ7 could be used to use MJ8.

I don't need you to give me my license number, I have it. I just need it to work! I paid for it and I think I should be able to use it. But, I can't and no one at JRiver seems to get it. MJ8 quite accepting my license restore (who knows why it keeps resetting since it worked fine for a very long time) and JRiver won't stand behind their part of our original agreement. I paid for the license to use MJ and updated the program as promoted by JRiver but I can't use it and the only JRiver knows why but I can’t get anyone at JRiver to fix it. Instead, it is suggested that I spend more money for another product from the same company that I paid for the first product that no longer honors their first agreement. Don't you get it. Why would I ever do business with or recommend a product from a company that has taken my money and won’t live up to their part of the bargain. How do I know that JRiver won’t take my money again and then a few years down the line degrade that product with an upgrade that does less than the original and won’t accept the license codes?

Please tell me that you understand! But more to the point, please tell me that you will honor your original deal and fix my current (paid for and licensed) product.

GC

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 05:52:33 am »

I have tried to be very clear but apparently we are not communicating well. Let's take it step by step.

Yes I have the license file for MJ7. I backed it up as told to do by JRiver. That license, as conveyed to me by JRiver, permits me to use MJ8 so I am unsure why you are giving me links to MJ7 information. I want my MJ8 to work like it used to before it discarded my license. That was the deal (I paid for the program, registered it, updated it until it was no longer supported, but was told that I could update to MJ8 and that my last MJ7 could be used to use MJ8.

I don't need you to give me my license number, I have it. I just need it to work! I paid for it and I think I should be able to use it. But, I can't and no one at JRiver seems to get it. MJ8 quite accepting my license restore (who knows why it keeps resetting since it worked fine for a very long time) and JRiver won't stand behind their part of our original agreement. I paid for the license to use MJ and updated the program as promoted by JRiver but I can't use it and the only JRiver knows why but I can’t get anyone at JRiver to fix it. Instead, it is suggested that I spend more money for another product from the same company that I paid for the first product that no longer honors their first agreement. Don't you get it. Why would I ever do business with or recommend a product from a company that has taken my money and won’t live up to their part of the bargain. How do I know that JRiver won’t take my money again and then a few years down the line degrade that product with an upgrade that does less than the original and won’t accept the license codes?

Please tell me that you understand! But more to the point, please tell me that you will honor your original deal and fix my current (paid for and licensed) product.

GC

Perhaps I'm not the right person to answer this (I don't work for JRiver), but I try to explain further what I meant.

I just suggested trying MC11.1. I didn't say it would be a solution to your registration problem. It is possible that you are not aware that JRiver has released five new program versions after Media Jukebox 8 under the name "Media Center" (MC9, M9.1, MC10, MC11 and MC11.1). If you are not interested that is fine for me.

you need to install MJ7 then register it using your registration that you should have backed up on a floppy (your rrg file), then install MJ8 this should allow MJ8 to continue to work

Wasn't this clear to you? In your case a valid and installed MJ7 registration is needed before you can use MJ8 as registered (without buying it separately). You need to reinstall MJ7 and register it with the license file. To make this easier I provided a link to the FAQ page and another link to the MJ7 installer. Naturally, if you have the old MJ7 program installer besides the backup of your license file you don't need to download MJ7 again.

JRiver has included some safety measures in their programs that monitor for certain changes. Something may have changed in your OS that have made the installed MJ7 registration expire. Also, it is always possible that a program error in one of the installed programs or in the OS itself has changed the registry files incorrectly. The cure is to reinstall the MJ7 registration.

A license reset does not happen without any reason (it is not anything like a programmed time bomb). I have three PCs and all of them have a valid and working MJ8 registration even I have not used MJ8 (besides occasional testing) or restored the licenses for years.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 06:32:50 am »

Wasn't this clear to you?

Apparently Not.

He keeps wanting to register MJ8 And He Does Not Understand MJ7 Must Be Installed And Registered, And then Installing MJ8 Will Make That Also Registered.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 07:12:37 am »

Crater1,

I searched the forum and stumbled on this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33323.0.
You should have mentioned that you had a similiar discusssion only a few months ago. I wasn't aware of that.

You found a solution then. Are trying to say that the same procedure does not work anymore?

Can you think of anything you have changed on your PC since April 23rd? Perhaps that would help to find out what makes your MJ7 registration expire from time to time and thus prevents from using the plus features with MJ8.

Crater1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 01:23:04 pm »

King has it and thank you Alex for the explination. I did not understand the process.

The procedure you described is what happened originally and it worked. I just didn't realize that I had to do the process from MJ7 everytime MJ8 looses my license info.

I'll give it a try and again thanks!

G
Pages: [1]   Go Up