INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC IR RemoteControl and Video Output  (Read 1060 times)

davisford

• World Citizen
MC IR RemoteControl and Video Output
« on: August 25, 2006, 07:20:01 pm »

Hi,

I know this has been discussed many times on the forum before, and I've skimmed some old posts, but if anyone has any helpful recommendations, I'd love to hear them.  Here is what I want to do:

I have an old sony laptop with weak hardware...but its got good enough hardware to run WinXPSP2, and MC11.1 and act as a MC client over WiFi to my main server.  So I fire up MC11.1, it connects to the remote lib, and plays grand.

The laptop sits ontop of a gi-normous television.  The Audio out on the laptop connects to my stereo.  Thus, I blast my music throughout the whole lower layer of the household.  This works great.

Next step: I want to remote control the laptop via IR universal remote, and I want to plug MC theatre view into my 55"HDTV.

The laptop has crappy IR builtin.  I looked at IRMan, and such.  Is there any software solution that allows one to hi-jack the IR port and receive commands that will control MC?

Next question..the laptop only has VGA output.  I guess I just need to get a VGA to RCA Video adaptor.  The HDTV has input for Composite Video, S-Video and standard RCA.  My guess is anything better than standard RCA is overkill since the conversion will limit its usefulness.

Has anyone done anything like this, and what do they use?

On another topic -- I've come to realize that cheap old laptops are far better than buying something like the Roku Soundbridge or other custom hardware WiFi clients...b/c you usually have them lying around, and they have better hardware, and more peripheral support.  I have a Roku, and a Homepod, but I've learned why screw with that when an old laptop works even better -- is commodity stuff, and you can customize it 9 ways to Sunday.

Thx for any feedback..

Regards,
Davis

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC IR RemoteControl and Video Output
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 11:01:47 pm »

The IR on a PC isn't suitable, if I recall correctly.  You'll need an IRMan or similar.

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/remote.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up